PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had any luck converting patterns from dpns to straight or circular?

NovemberGyspy
02-24-2009, 01:46 PM
I am fully aware that it would make more sense to some to just learn how to use dpns. Well, frankly, I am very doubtful that I am that cordinated and secondly, I have no money (and I mean no money) to spend on hobbies, no matter how cheap. So, I need to stick with the yarn and needles I have. Does anyone know how to convert toy patterns that insist on dpns so that I can use my straight/circular needles on them? Thanks a million!

GinnyG
02-24-2009, 04:20 PM
Going from dpns to circular should be no problem, just get the proper size circular and do it........ there should be no conversion involved.

Going to straights would mean deciding where you wanted a seam and adjusting the pattern accordingly so it's really not a question that can be answered globally.

If you are comfortable with circular needles I would just get the appropriate size and go from there.

thepurplegg
02-24-2009, 07:18 PM
I second that translating to circulars is easier. If the pattern calls for specific instructions per DPN you can just use stitch markers to show where the needles should be.

I would personally never translate something from circular knitting to flat. The amazing thing about circular is that there's no seam! It also seems like it'd be harder. You'd have to redo the whole thing instead of just adjusting for where the DPNS should be. =)

NovemberGyspy
02-24-2009, 09:04 PM
Wow. I guess I didn't realize what Dpns were for. I thought they did something different then either of the other two. Circular needles do the same thing? Goodness.

Ingrid
02-24-2009, 09:07 PM
DPN's are for knitting small diameter tubes--like socks, for example. You can use longer circular needles in place of dpns by using magic loop or two circs.

Jan in CA
02-25-2009, 12:08 PM
Wow. I guess I didn't realize what Dpns were for. I thought they did something different then either of the other two. Circular needles do the same thing? Goodness.

Yep, they all do the same thing basically. Here's a page that has instructions for all of them.
http://community.knitpicks.com/notes/Knitting_in_the_Round

Knitting Help has videos for all the techniques as well.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/advanced-techniques

Spokaloo
02-25-2009, 03:33 PM
There are a lot of things to consider besides seaming if you convert a pattern from dpns to straight needles. When you go from working in the round to working flat, you will need to figure out how to work your WS rows. For example, if the pattern calls for st st, working in the round will require you to knit each row while working flat will mean working a knit row, then a purl row. Also, when working in the round, your pattern will give directions for each row going from right to left. Converting to flat will require you to reverse those directions. For example, if the pattern reads "k2, p3, k4, p5", you will have to reverse that to "k5, p4, k3, p2". And how do you do your WS decreases/increases so they lean in the right direction to fit into the pattern?
:passedout:

People who are comfortable working with graphs might be able to chart a pattern so you can knit flat instead of in the round, but otherwise, I don't think I would attempt it. But then, that's just me! :aww:

margrue
03-01-2009, 06:43 PM
I make a lot of toys and have patterns for both flat and circular knitting. The flat pieces need to have an extra stitch at either end for the seam, and you need to pay attention to where the front and back of the piece are going to be. You don't want to seam up your piece and find out your bear's face is on the side instead of the front! Otherwise you should be able to do it.
You should look at videos about knitting in the round on two circular needles, because that is not hard to figure out, and saves having to seam things up when you're done.