PDA

View Full Version : Good size for Lap blanket

gargoylelib
02-28-2009, 06:49 AM
Hey everybody!

I am planning to make a lap blanket as a gift but am not exactly sure what is a good size. I was thinking either 36 inches by 36 inches or 36 inches by 48 inches....which sounds right for a lap blanket?

TIA,
Libbie :)

rosefields
02-28-2009, 09:43 AM
Hi!
I personally like the longer length...so my lap blankets or lapghans are usually 36 x 48. :)

WandaT
02-28-2009, 10:34 AM
The 36x48 sounds good to me. That way it will be long enough to cover the footsies.

Jan in CA
02-28-2009, 01:14 PM
My preferred size for baby blankets is 36x36" so definitely at least 48" for a lapghan.

Note - if the person you're knitting it for is in a wheelchair they may want it shorter though so it doesn't catch in the wheels or drag on the floor.

Woodi
03-01-2009, 10:12 AM
This lapghan is 32 wide by 36 inches long - so far.

http://www.soapmaker.ca/SoapPics/32by36.JPG

I began it in the KAL seamless blanket thread. But I had intended to end it at 32 by 32, as a toddler blankey - with the bubbly purple yarn as edging.....only I still had plenty of blue and purple yarn left (it's all leftover bits) so decided to keep knitting on one side, to lengthen it to 38 inches.

You can see that now, it would sit nicely on a lap, just covering the toes, and I can pull it up under my armpits (I'm 5 foot 3). But I cannot wrap it under my toes, or pull it up under my chin. I abandoned the log cabin design 4 inches ago, and have been knitting stripes at the top, where the circular needle still is.

I'm afraid it's the project that may never end!

gargoylelib
03-02-2009, 02:40 AM
That blanket looks cool! I love the different colors and textures you have used :)

I think I'll be going for the 36 by 48 size....I am making blocks so should be easy enough to just do 12 inch squares as many as I need and sew them together. I'll put a border on it so it will be a little larger than that but I think it'll be ok :)

Thanks for the input!
Libbie

Woodi
03-02-2009, 02:27 PM
You're welcome, Libbie. Enjoy your knitting, but I warn you - I have fallen in love with the process of knitting this and I cannot seem to stop! Good luck!