PDA

View Full Version : I got a Budgie...

Crycket
03-01-2009, 04:14 PM
Now I just need a name....

She is yellow...and she is a girl....hmmm....

I was thinking about Molly...but that is a little close to Polly...and the whole, Polly wants a cracker thing...

Any suggestions?

stitchabit
03-01-2009, 04:32 PM
What about "Tweety".

Denise in Michigan
03-01-2009, 04:55 PM
I had canaries for years, and usually watched them for a few days before naming them. Birds each have distinct personalities, and often something about their behavior provides a great name, or reminds you of someone to name them after.;)

Lighting57
03-01-2009, 05:10 PM
How about Lucy. If she is tame and friendly, she will most likely be very entertaining and comical at times. Lucy reminds me of lunny. :)

Songbirdy
03-01-2009, 08:35 PM
Lemon :)

Jan in CA
03-01-2009, 08:51 PM
Lemonaid
Butterscotch
Daffodil
Daisy

Knitting_Guy
03-01-2009, 09:51 PM
I love budgies. I've had several over the years. My favorite was a male named Fred. He was the smartest one I'd ever had and was an expert escape artist which, in the end, proved to be his undoing.

One day he managed to escape from his cage and flew right into the ceiling fan that was never running when he was allowed out.

For a lady budgie I think I would go with something like Sadie or, as she's yellow, Sunny.

Jan in CA
03-01-2009, 09:54 PM
For a lady budgie I think I would go with something like Sadie or, as she's yellow, Sunny.

Sorry to hear about your Budgie, Mason! Sunny is great name!

Crycket
03-02-2009, 09:05 AM
One day he managed to escape from his cage and flew right into the ceiling fan that was never running when he was allowed out.

Yeah..I let mine out yesterday for a few, and she flew up and down the hall...and went right to the fan.....

Right now she won't budge in her cage....she will go onto my finger, and let me put her anywhere in the cage, and then remains glued to the spot....

I guess she still needs a few days to get used to her new home....

cindycactus
03-02-2009, 09:38 AM
I love budgies. I've had several over the years. My favorite was a male named Fred. He was the smartest one I'd ever had and was an expert escape artist which, in the end, proved to be his undoing.

We had one named Blue Boy. We loved that bird and had so much fun with him. He was flying free in the house one day when my sister was visiting and she opened the back door (which was a BIG no no) and out he went. He flew up high in a tree next door and we tried to coax him back down but before we had any success a rain storm came and we never saw him again. I hope he found a good home.

Knitting_Guy
03-02-2009, 09:57 AM
Yep, there are huge flocks of wild budgies in the Everglades that are the offspring of escapees. They're very clever birds and will often find a way out.

As for not moving in the cage, give it time. The poor thing is confused and frightened and needs time to adjust to the new environment. Covering the cage at night and keeping things quiet really helps, as does talking to the bird while it's in it's cage. Far too many people tend to ignore them while in the cage which just makes them want out that much more.

Also, if you want the bird to bond with you do not put a mirror in the cage. It's natural for them to bond to other birds and placing a mirror in the cage could prevent the bird from bonding with you.

I've owned and raised a good many birds over the years from budgies and cockatiels to large parrots. They can be very good, loving, and loyal pets if raised and bonded properly, but they all have their own little personalities, likes, and dislikes. Budgies can be especially friendly if raised properly.

I would recommend keeping the flight feathers clipped as this will prevent long range escapes and accidents. It really is for the bird's own safety and still allows them some measure of short range flight to escape things like cats or being stepped on.

Sansdawn
03-02-2009, 10:25 AM
Lucky you!! Birds are one thing that Hubby will never allow. He thinks they are too loud.

I sure hope your little feather'd friend settles in quickly.

Denise in Michigan
03-02-2009, 02:06 PM
Yeah..I let mine out yesterday for a few, and she flew up and down the hall...and went right to the fan.....

Right now she won't budge in her cage....she will go onto my finger, and let me put her anywhere in the cage, and then remains glued to the spot....

I guess she still needs a few days to get used to her new home....
Hmmmm...sounds like a "Fanny"?

Or "Venus", because she's beautiful but stays still as a statue?

Plantgoddess+
03-02-2009, 11:33 PM
My budgie is a yellow and named Tweetie. My husband found him at work hiding behind some equipment at the plant he works at. The bird was a little grimy and is getting up there in years. His favorite place to hang out is in the coat closet sitting on my shoes.

Crycket
03-03-2009, 09:00 AM
lol...that is cute....

I have always hated tweetie bird...I am not sure what it is...but he just turns me right off! I think it is all the cheeky baby talk....*smiles*

Plantgoddess+
03-03-2009, 09:25 PM
I'm not very imaginative when it comes to bird names. My first was Blue Bird (he was blue), the next was Billy Bird and now Tweetie. I do better with my horses. The dogs are a mixed bag, right now it's Snoopy and Bella but they came with names.

Songbirdy
03-04-2009, 09:56 PM
lol, this reminds me of the chickens we had when we still lived on the farm. I had a: "Penny, Pecky, Plucky, and Petunia."

melmac51
03-05-2009, 06:10 PM
I like Sunny too!

Crycket
03-05-2009, 06:42 PM
I am thinking about going with Kit....gonna run it by DH...

TEMA
03-08-2009, 05:51 PM
How about Barbie!?
TEMA :teehee:

Lucy78green
03-13-2009, 06:37 PM
My granny had a budgie, she called it Blue, imaginatively enough because it was blue. My friend's boyfriend found one flying around his street and took it in, he treats it like it's a child "don't make too much noise, the budgie has gone to bed"

Crycket
03-13-2009, 08:50 PM
Ha...when I was younger, we used to have two budgies that came to our bird feeder....we named them Mr. Blue Jeans, and Mr. Green Jeans....manly cause of the way they were coloured....*smiles*

My mom tried to catch one...and came close...but they were birds gone wild!