PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone else on this planet know about this?

bailsmom
03-02-2009, 11:10 PM
My cousin emailed this to me so I just had to show all of you. I've been on this earth for 32 years and I'm just finding out about this! I did check and it's true, except my wax paper roll doesn't have them. Too funny. :teehee:

Did you ever look at the end of your aluminum foil box?
Was this something we were supposed to learn from our Mom's????? I can't believe it's been there all this time.

I had to go into the kitchen and check this out for myself. Whoever looks at the end of your aluminum foil box? You know when you try to pull some foil out and the roll comes out of the box. Then you have to put the roll back in the box and start over. The darn roll always comes out at the wrong time. Well, I would like to share this with you.
Yesterday I went to throw out an empty Reynolds foil box and for some reason I turned it, and looked at the end of the box. And written on the end it said, Press here to lock end. Right there on the end of the box is a tab to
lock the roll in place. How long has this little locking tab been there?
I then looked at a generic brand of aluminum foil and it had one, too.
I then looked at a box of Saran wrap and it had one too! I can't count the number of times the Saran wrap roll has jumped out, when I was trying to cover something up.

I'm sharing this with my friends. I hope I'm not the only person that didn't know about this.
I know you're going to go and check your boxes, so go ahead!

sabrinasmom
03-02-2009, 11:16 PM
Of course I had to go check it out for myself! Don't feel too bad. You learned it sooner in life than I did!! By about 15 years :teehee:

LadyFirelyght
03-02-2009, 11:19 PM
Sometimes you just don't notice what's in front of you :) I've known about it since about 2002, though.

evona
03-02-2009, 11:28 PM
Oh wow! I've been on the planet for 35 years and never knew that. :roflhard: Ya live and ya learn!!

suzeeq
03-02-2009, 11:42 PM
I saw that several years ago too, but I forget to do it ....

saracidaltendencies
03-02-2009, 11:45 PM
Well, it took me almost 32 years to find out...haha...2 months shy

Debkcs
03-03-2009, 03:47 AM
Our home ec teacher in junior high showed that to us. Handy, aren't they?

Jan in CA
03-03-2009, 03:59 AM
I found out a few months ago. Geesh! Wish they'd made it clearer!

ArtLady1981
03-03-2009, 06:28 AM
:aww:

Knit4Pie
03-03-2009, 06:47 AM
Are you kidding me? Man, those will definitely come in handy. I don't know how many times I've stood there trying to swallow my swearing (little ears) because the darned things just won't stay in the box. 37 years here...then there's my family members who don't know in the 60s. Well, let me just say they'd better NOT know!!!

I've got to go check my boxes out now!

Crycket
03-03-2009, 09:02 AM
lol....no I hadn't noticed that....

cftwo
03-03-2009, 09:53 AM
My mom used them all the time, so I've known about it for what seems like forever. They're easy to forget about, though.

Mike
03-03-2009, 12:38 PM
I saw that several years ago too, but I forget to do it ....
Mark me down as one who knows about it but forgets.

But I don't have problems with the roll jumping out so it's easy to forget about.

Knitting_Guy
03-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Wow, I feel pretty good about this, I've known about those tabs since I was a kid.

cindycactus
03-03-2009, 12:54 PM
I am 67 years old and I did not know that!!!! :oops: But while I was checking the box I also noticed something I did not know either. On the front where you open the box there is a place on each end that you push in and you can tuck the flap in and it will keep the box closed. :waah:

bailsmom
03-03-2009, 01:44 PM
:rofl: You all are too funny. Well I'm glad I shared my new found information with you and have enlightened us all. :rofl: Well, those of us who didn't know about it I should say.

Although I do think the rest of you who did know had an obligation to fill the rest of us in on this hidden secret. Shame shame!! :teehee:

Songbirdy
03-03-2009, 02:37 PM
:lol: I knew too... but assumed you all knew ;) I wouldn't want to presume that you didn't know and that would have been the reason why I didn't tell you...

Its my policy in life, assume you're smarter than me... tends to work well for me... because most often if I can't do something I *know* you can! ;)

evona
03-03-2009, 10:42 PM
Well I for one especially think it was Mason's expressed duty to fill us in on these types of things!!!! Why you holdin' out Mason???!!! :roflhard:

Debkcs
03-04-2009, 01:53 AM
I found out today that I'd never told my son this :aww:

gingerbread
03-04-2009, 11:22 AM
OK you can add me to the list of not knowing. Went to look and it was there on the little side. I pushed them all in and it does work. No more tin foil falling out on me again.:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

bailsmom
03-04-2009, 11:36 AM
Isn't it funny how the simplest things make our lives a little bit easier. :teehee:

LoAnnie
03-04-2009, 11:59 AM
I have to check my boxes when I get home. Just the other day, my husband was laughing at me about the foil always flying out on me. I will assume he doesn't know, because if he did, he should have told me. I'll kill him if he knew.

Ronda
03-04-2009, 02:04 PM
I'm going to have to check my boxes. I never knew about this!

Wanda Witch
03-04-2009, 02:14 PM
I'm older than sin and did not know about this. Checked just a minute ago and alas - there they are - except on the generic waxed paper carton from Walgreens. Will save some temper outbursts in this household, I do believe. Thanks for sharing.:)

bailsmom
03-04-2009, 10:40 PM
I have to check my boxes when I get home. Just the other day, my husband was laughing at me about the foil always flying out on me. I will assume he doesn't know, because if he did, he should have told me. I'll kill him if he knew.

:rofl:

rachael72knitter
03-05-2009, 06:50 AM
You'd think they would have told us so in a commercial or something, "and look, so easy with the locking in tab on the end of the box."

I hate saran wrap because it always comes out, then it all sticks together and . . . what a mess.

I am amazed.

melmac51
03-05-2009, 06:08 PM
Don't feel bad, I'm 52 years old and didn't know about it until about a year ago. Then, I tried to make it work, and ended up messing the whole box up. Now, I have to "manually" tear the foil off, because I ripped the part with the little blades away from the rest of the box!!!

Debbie
03-05-2009, 09:13 PM
55, never knew till now ....

margz3
03-06-2009, 12:16 PM
44 and never knew! :blush: Thanks for the info! Now......hopefully I will REMEMBER the next time I use the foil :teehee:

Songbirdy
03-06-2009, 12:56 PM
I tend to find that the first 'upset' and the information comes flooding back :teehee:

Arielluria
03-07-2009, 08:52 PM
LOL. Yes, I did know about those tabs at the end of the box, handy huh?!? ;)

biztec
03-08-2009, 09:44 AM
Boy, do I feel like an idiot!!

bailsmom
03-08-2009, 11:11 AM
Oy vey, my husband just told me he's known about the tabs for years. AND HE NEVER TOLD ME ABOUT IT!!! :tap: I was wondering why he never mentioned it after I forwarded the email to him last week. I asked him about it yesterday and he sheepishly looks at me and admitted he's known about it all along. But why hasn't he ever used them? We've been married for 11 years now, you'd think he would have used them by now. :shrug:

Geez, you think you know someone..... :teehee:

Quiltlady
03-15-2009, 01:36 PM
I've been on the planet much longer than you and I only found out about it this year!!

OffJumpsJack
03-16-2009, 01:49 PM
Yep, I knew as a child since the first time I was "helping" my mom in the kitchen and dumped the roll out of the box. After I got it all smoothed out and rolled up she told me about the tabs on the end. It was a new roll I had opened, so she hadn't done it yet.

Some time ago I had the plastic wrap pop out on me and since the children were there I pointed out the tabs to them. I don't think my DW knew about those locking tabs. She was uncharacteristically quiet at the time, and that's saying a lot. :roll:

TooCircular
03-18-2009, 05:35 AM
I just checked my boxes and OMG, how long have those freakin' things been there????? Never mind~ I don't want to know. :thud:

Jan

cheley
03-18-2009, 06:07 AM
Never knew that either.....but what "prevents" your fingers from getting "sawed" when you reach for the roll and the flap is opened...hate that!!!! Thanks for the FYI...now I am going in the kitchen:teehee:

OffJumpsJack
03-18-2009, 09:34 AM
In our drawer, the foil box "saw" is at the top edge and can be covered by the lid if it doesn't pop open. If you notice, there are two slots on the front side, one near each end. They can hold the ends of the cover tab if the tabs or slots have not been bent by rough handling.

The wax paper, well I couldn't find that. :oops:

The plastic wrap has a plastic "saw" strip on the bottom edge of the box and a sticky spot in the center of the front side. I guess being on the bottom edge of the box means it doesn't need to be covered?

iwouldratherbeknitting
03-26-2009, 05:11 PM
Maybe when these things were first introduced to consumers say like 65 years ago? (how old are they anyway?) That they did print all sorts of little ads in newspapers and magazines.. showing how useful that little feature was... ??

AND.. after all these years that they figured that the hint would have been handed down from the parents or grandparents? Or home-ec classes?

All I can say is.. I didn't know about them... and I've used many a friend and family member's foil, waxed paper, and plastic wrap and none of them knew about it either.. because I would have noticed the ends being poked in, right?