PDA

View Full Version : My cat is finally starting to get sick. (kidneys?) Best cat food?

VictoiseC
03-05-2009, 01:11 PM
Hi. Well I knew it would come someday. Hopefully it's not too soon. My sweet baby Toisie who will turn 15 in July seems to be sick. Is sick. It's hard to say it. I feel like such a fool because she's had an increase in water drinking for a long time, a year? maybe 6 months, I can't even remember. I just didn't think it was a big deal. It can mean she's losing kidney functioning.

Anyhow, she started urinating on our comforter and bathroom rugs so we took her to the vet. She has an infection and is on antibiotics, then they will do another blood test. did you know that an older cat should have blood work done once a year? I didn't!

And the dry food is just a real villain. So I'm reading all this stuff on kidneys, and maybe I should give her B vitamins... it's a lot of stuff to learn, I suppose I should've known more of this before. I'm so suspicious of cat food now, she eats Fancy Feast but with fresh chicken livers and raw shrimp. I wish I could just feed her food I make but that is sooo time consuming. But maybe I'll try.

whew. damn. I have this mantra I keep saying, we all can't live forever..... we just can't live forever.... ha

Jan in CA
03-05-2009, 01:45 PM
I'm sorry your kitty is sick. Hopefully the antibiotics will help. It's great that you caught it so soon.

VictoiseC
03-05-2009, 01:45 PM
P.S. I forgot to mention, my vet asked a few times 'Did you feed her Wellness?' I thought Wellness was one of the better catfoods. I did use it but just a few times, maybe a dozen cans over a year.
Wonder if it was one of the Chinese poisoned brands.

LadyFirelyght
03-05-2009, 02:41 PM
One of our cats (he's 3) has had several UTIs the last year and a half. The vet said it was probably caused by the food he was eating, so they switched him over to another food. He seems to be doing great now. Hopefully it's just something as simple as a bladder infection. I've had those before... not fun! I hope your kitty feels better!

cftwo
03-05-2009, 04:30 PM
My cats are 9 and 11 and I just moved to a new town. This new vet was the first time I heard that you should have bloodwork done on older animals (over 7) annually. I'm taking the younger one in tomorrow - he'll need bloodwork drawn and it will probably freak him out, poor thing.

Lots of love to Toisie for a speedy recovery.

Jenelle
03-05-2009, 04:38 PM
Our cat Butter is younger than her. He's only 8, but he has had kidney problems in the past. Which include UTI's and crystals in the urine. Our vet recommended a brand of dry cat food that I have only seen available in veterinary offices. It was 11 bucks per pound though.

I would check with the vet to see which foods are suitable for cats with kidney problems.

melmac51
03-05-2009, 05:56 PM
I use Purina Urinary Tract Health cat food. My cat used to get kidney infections, but no more since I started using that. And, you won't have to get a second mortgage on your car to pay for it. Hope she gets better soon.

Debkcs
03-06-2009, 03:33 AM
I wanted to make my cats food when we still had them (they all died, well into their twenties),but my friend who is a vet said that making it at home is not possible. Dog food, yes, we used to have 'parties' to make enough for her two and my two pups for a month, but not cat because they need all kinds of special nutrients. You'll notice that there aren't any books out there on how to do it, like there are for dogs.

She does make kind of gravy for her cats (she has over fifteen in a 'cattery' she made out of a barn on her property) that contains a lot of chicken and fish parts that she saves up, and serves over a quality kibble.

At one time she worked for Iams, and won't give their food to her beasties.

Hope your little one gets better soon, with the right vet she could have quite a few good years left.

VictoiseC
03-06-2009, 03:25 PM
Hi all and thanks much for you kind words. I so hope it is just a bladder infection and not a kidney starting to go. I never had a cat make it past 12 years old .. I can't believe a cat can make it into their 20s! Wow.

I got some quality $$$ cat food yestrday, Merrick, Natural Balance, Halo Spots Stew but man it's expensive. $1.49 per can. or so. I actually do have a book about making cat food, it's basically mixing chicken or fish with rice, veggies, etc. It's time consuming but I'm going to try it. I've been reading all those horror stories (yes I can't believe Iams is included in these, it sounds like such a trustworthy name)
but it's actually true they grind up our dead pets and make cat foodout of them so, unless you don't mind that, it's worth it to buy some of the better stuff or make your own. ah well

Thanks again! meow

VictoiseC
03-06-2009, 03:27 PM
Jenelle, you might want to not give him much dry food at all if you can. If he's already had them he'll just keep getting them. I'd say the price is worth it but if you can get away from dry it's just as well.

Lucy78green
03-08-2009, 09:34 AM
Our second cat died of kidney failure (years ago), it wasn't nice, but the vet thought it was due to poisoning. There was a building site down our street at the time and we think she must have picked something up on her paws or drank something she shouldn't have. Either that or someone poisoned her, though I don't think any other local cats died.

VictoiseC
03-09-2009, 12:34 PM
Lucy... sorry about your cat even if it was along time ago!

I had to switch antibiotics coz they were too strong and making Toisie sick. She seems so much improved it's crazy but who knows...fingers crossed.

thecatsmother
03-09-2009, 05:35 PM
http://www.yourdiabeticcat.com/forums/default.asp

This site is THE best for cats,yes it's for diabetic cats but it also has loads of info on the care and feeding of cats and kidney failure in cats.
OK now for my rant....cats should not be fed dry food,it is mainly carbohydrates and cats are meat eaters,in the wild the only carbs they would get are the grasses insides the tummy of their prey.Cats have a poor thirst mechanism but because they eat only meat they get all the fluid they need,when they are fed carbs they become dehydrated and this can lead to kidney failure,OK rant over.
I have a kitty who has been in the begining stages of kidney failure for about 3 years....it is not a death sentence.Melle is on a med called Fortekor which helps him a lot,he has bloodwork every 6 months,many vets want to put cats on a lo protein diet when they actually need lo phospherous and there is a powder,Epikatin, that can be added to their food to bind with the phospherous to decrease absorbtion.
Victoise I don't want to confuse you with all this,your kitty may just have a bladder infection and the antibiotics will fix that but if it is kidney failure she could still have many years ahead,and by the way Wellness is one of the best canned cat foods as it is grain free,so if you were feeding that then your kitty was getting the best.The other foods you mentioned are also great but as you say expensive.My guys are fed Fancy Feast and Friskies(only the grain-free flavours)

Debkcs...it is possible to make your own cat food there is a nutrient that needs to be added but that can be purchased easily.But...it's a lot of work...and then the finicky wee beasties won't eat it

VictoiseC
03-10-2009, 12:56 PM
Thanks Marie! Esp for that site. My cat seems to be a lot better as I said but we'll see with the next blood test. Yeah, I know that rant about dry food and it's so true! I actually pulled them off it a year ago or so, then for some reason I gave in and let them have it again. But as of last week they haven't had a drop and don't seem to miss it as long as I open cans now and then. My vet said she will want more wet food and that's ok, being used to filling up on dry food... For some reason ( I think I'll have to ask her) my vet said Wellness is bad for cats. She gives it to her dog and she said the dog Wellness is ok but not for cats. I never heard that before.

Talk about finicky, these stupid cats reject the expensive good food and want the Fancy Feast. Btw, I read on one site,the reason they love certain food esp dry food is it's coated with this FAT stuff, it's reduced fat and they engineered it so the animal licks that first and loves it. in spite of whats inside ha ha

Oh and thanks re the not a death sentence thingy. I don't know why they would get a bladder infection but I suppose I can find out (more research ugh)

Debra Michelle
03-13-2009, 01:15 PM
Last September my cat was hospitalized for FLUTD --
http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/urinary.html
He had crystals in his urine and spent an entire weekend atthe emergency vet. When my vet asked me what he ate and I said Wellness she said that FLUTD was more common in cats that ate Wellness. She also said that it was fine for my dog.
I've switched to prescription dry food Science Diet C/D and he is on K/D wet food with several spoonfuls throughout the day.
That was also the first time I heard that Wellness wasn't ok for cats -- I thought that I was doing something good for him.
Just recently she told me that I could take him off the K/D and feed him non-prescription wet food. She told me not to buy foods from the grocery store but that anything from the pet store -- including Wellness wet food is fine. This was all on my answering machine so I haven't had the chance to find out why Wellness dry is bad, but Wellness wet is ok. If I find out I'll let you know.

bailsmom
03-13-2009, 02:04 PM
:hug: First things first. Hugs to you and your sick kitty cat.

I also agree with TCM about that diabetic website. My Eddie became a diabetic 3 years ago and they both were on the dry food all their lives. We switched to canned and he's been diabetic free (if that's possible) ever since. He's healthy and happy and we couldn't be happier. Plus they both lost about 5 pounds each!! So yes, dry food is bad for your cats. I realize the canned food is expensive but so is medicating your pets so they can live as long as possible. I just shop around. Mine love the Fancy Feast - beef flavor. No Wheat! Wheat - very bad. The cheapest I've found lately, where we live, is .50 cents per can. And we go through 4 cans a day. Yes, it's a lot, but I know they will be healthy til the end. That makes it all worth it.

Btw, my vet's cat had kidney problems and he put his on a special food and his cat lived to be 18! Wow, I sure hope my boys live that long.

Hope your little one feels better soon. :hug: