PDA

View Full Version : Long Lost Friend....

TEMA
03-08-2009, 05:32 PM
I'm in the process of looking for a long lost friend. I haven't seen her since about 1987 but I remember her well and almost everyday since then.
I was going thru a hard time and had to move myself and my kids out of our home. She lived down the street - a fantastic lady about 10 years younger than me.
She was a Christian woman in every sense of the word. She lived her faith in God and even started a wonderful Bible study group in our neighbourhood. There were about 7 of us attending and it was usually at her house.
She never preached, nor did she blame. She lived a good life showing always be example.
Well, one day she found out that I didn't know how to knit. She couldn't believe it. She had been knitting since she was about 5.
She'd start me on something easy, she said and got me into socks!
Good grief! 4 needles... yikes!
But I learned and knit 4 pairs of heavy wollen socks for my Dad that year.
She was poor - very poor but she never stopped smiling. To feed her hungry brood - 2 youngsters and one baby (not to mention her husband), she took to going into the lanes behind some of the small grocery stores that lined Hastings Street and bringing home the fruits and veggies, they were tossing out.
She made the most wonderful things from jams to sauces to canned fruits and veggies.
Someone gave her a fleece one year and she carded the whole thing, spun in on a little wooden stick (as I recall) and then knit the most wonderful sweaters for herself and her family. She never had a pattern to go from either. It all seemed to be in her head.
The Bible Study was not what some might think. It was a good time for us ladies with little kids to get out of the house and use our brains for a while. Every week we would go home with a passage from the Bible to study and to decide what that passage meant and every week we'd come back with 7 different views. Oh, the discussions we had!
It was an amazing time and I've never forgotten it.
So I'd love to be able to find her. Here's all I know about her....
Name - Fern Henderson
Last address - Turner Street, between Semlin and Lakewood, Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Occupation: Last I heard she was teaching ESL kids but I also heard she went back to school to become a regular teacher. I've contacted the Teachers Assoc. but I have very little to go on and they have not been able to help me.
Children's Names: Fiona and Brady and one more little boy - but she may have had more after that.
I know she knits, can make anything out of nothing, was born in England, spent the early part of her life in India as her parents were missionaries there. Was sent back to England to get her schooling.
Not sure when she came to Canada, nor where she married her husband, whose name, unfortunately, escapes me. He was a studious fellow, at UBC, I think - but it might have been Simon Fraser as well.
She was very smart, friendly, loved life and was always true to herself.
So... I'd really like to find her and find out how she's doing now...
TEMACrossed Fingers

cdjack
03-08-2009, 08:49 PM
I'd try facebook. She may not be on there, but her kids may be. I've found people on there that I haven't heard from in twenty years.
It's worth a shot.

knitasha
03-08-2009, 10:43 PM
Have you Googled her?
I just did a very quick search of the name Fern Henderson into Google and saw many possibilities, several associated with churches.

Hope you find her; she sounds like quite a woman.

cftwo
03-09-2009, 09:00 AM
Could this be her, maybe? http://www.faceweb.okanagan.bc.ca/students/korean/bio/fern.html

cdjack
03-09-2009, 09:34 AM
That has to be her! Wow, you're good...

jheatherley
03-09-2009, 11:31 AM
Oh, how I love a happy ending!

cftwo
03-09-2009, 01:45 PM
Keep in mind that page was last updated in 1997 - so she may have moved on since then. But maybe they know something about her, or would be willing to forward mail. I couldn't find her in their current staff directory.

TEMA
03-09-2009, 05:50 PM
OMG - I think you could be right!
In any case, I've sent off an email to see... and I'm crossing my fingers...
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
TEMA (big, big hugs)

knitasha
03-09-2009, 07:38 PM
Cftwo --
That was amazing!

Denise in Michigan
03-09-2009, 10:39 PM
This is wonderful! :cheering:

TEMA
03-11-2009, 01:19 AM
Okay....
[COLOR="darkorchid"]Well, here's what's happened so far....
I haven't heard back from the email I sent to Fern Henderson and I'm thinking she may still have this email but never looks at it. And maybe this email is connected to her past job at ESL.
I've also sent an email to someone at ESL and have rec'd word back that they don't know of a Fern Henderson but that she has forwarded by email to a lady named Fern who used to work at ESL.
I haven't heard any other word since.
I have one thing left to follow up so will let you know the outcome of that.
Thanks, Everyone, for your good wishes!
I'm certainly not giving up yet...
TEMA:thumbsup:

Denise in Michigan
03-11-2009, 02:59 PM
I just feel you are meant to find her!