PDA

View Full Version : AAUUUGGGHH bad socks !!

vaknitter
03-10-2009, 08:51 PM
AUGH I've been working on these Chevron lace socks and as I turned the heel on the first one it felt a little tight so I frogged it and started over a size larger. Now I have them both finished and out of the wash and they are different lengths !!! Are you kidding me?!! I must have counted my rows wrong on the foot and one is about about 10 rows shorter than the other !!
After throwing a fit last night I have decided to make the longer one shorter and find them a new owner. Hopefully they will fit my mother or my SIL.
That's it - this weekend I learn 2 at a time toe up

:hair: :wall: :waah:

merri
03-10-2009, 09:02 PM
Boo Hoo... I know the feeling; so sorry you had to do all that work; but then, didn't you enjoy the knitting part of it? I once started knitting a sweater for my mother, and learned that the back was too small, and I had to frog the whole thing. Every time you knit something, you definitely learn something! Best, Merri

Eric
03-11-2009, 07:06 AM
Hi Vaknitter, it sounds like it is time you give that "Knit 2 socks at the same time" a chance.
I just have to tink a few rows because I dropped a stitch, and I'm ready to frog it. Good luck Eric

globaltraveler
03-11-2009, 07:26 AM
Rats! I've been thinking about doing 2 at a time socks just for this sort of thing, because I'm horrible at things like that, so this just gives me impetus to do it!

Plantgoddess+
03-12-2009, 02:12 PM
One thing knitting has taught me is to measure, measure and measure. I also am keeping better notes so that changes I make in the 1st sock are duplicated in the 2nd sock as well. I'm a dyed in the wool dpn sock knitter and don't know that I'll ever do 2 at a time, but I love customizing all the socks I make to the shape of my foot.
Think of what you've learned and know that you will have more such experiences in your knitting. It's all part of the fun.

linknit41
03-13-2009, 07:34 PM
I, too,have ended up with different lengths of socks, but only3-4 rows difference.Have also given at least 2 pair to my dd, because of miscounting rows and ending up with too-short socks. dd has smaller feet, so benefits from my mistakes!! linknit41

VTBluebird
03-14-2009, 07:10 PM
Hi, I'm new to KH. When I make socks, I measure the recipients foot for starters. I count the rows for each different section of the sock, twice; leg, heel, gusset and toe, and I keep a little note pad in my bag of goodies that is always with me for knitting on socks, and write the measurements down!! My mom, only counts, and she very rarely makes a mistake; some people have all the luck. My first couple of pairs of socks were different lengths, but only by a few rows, and they were for me. I'm more picky about my socks for other people. I really like this website!!!!! :happydance: