PDA

View Full Version : Yarn sites?

bambi
03-11-2009, 09:50 AM
Hi!

I just downloaded a pattern for a vest for my husband. It calls for sport weight yarn. He wants the vest in Navy blue.

I went to Knit Picks for yarn and they don't have a navy yarn in superwash sport wt. I also went to Elann and didn't find anything.

I'd like a sport wt yarn in superwash wool or other washable yarn (yes, my husband felts things when he does the wash) for a reasonable price. Any ideas?

Bambi

Mirl56
03-11-2009, 10:22 AM
www.yarndex.com might be a good place to start. You can search for yarns by weight.

Ingrid
03-11-2009, 06:10 PM
Dale of Norway Falk is a dk washable wool. Very soft, too.

Plymouth Encore DK is a blend, also nice and very washable.

knitasha
03-11-2009, 06:54 PM
Nature Spun Sport by Brown Sheep is a well-priced 100% wool sportweight that comes in several deep blues, including Navy Night and Blue Knight. It's $4 for 50gm at patternworks.com.

Also take a look at yarns classified as baby yarns. They get the same gauge as sportweight and some of them come in deep colors.

Some other reliable e-stores with good selections include:
Jimmy Bean Wools,
Webs,
Woodland Woolworks,
Lion Brand Yarn

bambi
03-11-2009, 10:20 PM
Ok, I've checked out all I can and I'm stuck between Dale of Norway Falk on yarn.com and Lamb's Pride Superwash Sport on patternworks.com. I am tempted by the Lamb's Pride on Patternworks and there are a few other things I'd like on patternworks, too. HMMMM

Anyone use either site or yarn? WHich did you like best?

Bambi

Ingrid
03-11-2009, 10:46 PM
Of the two, I've only used the Falk. However, Lamb's Pride has an excellent reputation.

Patternworks is a wonderful site, and I have used them often.:thumbsup: