PDA

View Full Version : To many WPs

Kattra
03-15-2009, 06:58 PM
I have a lot of WPs but I never seem to finish any thing... I can't decide if I just have a really short attention span or am just a bad knitter. Any ideas?

suzeeq
03-15-2009, 07:15 PM
Don't ask here, a lot of up have the same problem. The sweater I finished the other day is probably the only thing I've sat down and worked on from start to finish without setting it aside to work on something else. I always see a new pattern I want to start or try out a yarn in.

Kattra
03-15-2009, 07:21 PM
Oh so it is normal to get destracted by new yarns and patters like this... *hugs* Thank God I thought it was just me.

Simply_Renee
03-15-2009, 08:44 PM
Of course you should only knit one thing at a ...

Oh look! An adorable pattern! Must cast on immediately! My feet are cold! I need socks! This new yarn is fabulous- I'll just put this other thing on a stitch holder....

I usually have at least 4 or 5 things going, depending on my mood. It is good to finish things once in a while to keep up morale.

Don't worry.

suzeeq
03-15-2009, 09:32 PM
Heh, yeah, that's one reason I have at least 2 needles for the sizes I use a lot, some of them I have about 4 - most of them have something on them....

TrikkeAddict
03-15-2009, 09:59 PM
I've been looking through some knitting and crocheting magazines the last few days and have found so many patterns that I want to try. But I have two afghans, one bathroom rug, a scarf, a sweater, a baby blanket - all in progress. I'm trying hard to finish the afghans before I start anything else - but it's hard. One of the afghans I started since I began browsing the magazines, because I couldn't resist the pattern. Meanwhile, the first afghan I started months ago.

I was shopping online today for yarn for some new projects and really had to stop myself from buying anything.

I have finished a lot of stuff, but mostly it's knitting for charity that gets done, while the other stuff sits, and then I start something new. I'm beginning to think I have some incurable disease!!!! :wink:

The worst part is that I resent having to clean the house, cook, do laundry, play with the dogs - because it takes time away from my knitting!!!!!

globaltraveler
03-15-2009, 10:25 PM
A couple of weeks back, I decided that I had too many WIPs. I resolved to only have one major piece on the needles at a time, only two little projects to keep me from being bored, and only to buy yarn for a project I had in mind...no more yarn bought just to try it or because it was a deal, or whatever.

So I put aside Louisa for a bit until I finished Wrenna. (Which I finally did at the beginning of the weekend -- whoo hoo!) Right after that, my friend had her baby...so of course I have to start a cardi for her! And I realized that spring is finally here and I haven't started anything for the new season, so I found a sweater I liked and bought the cotton for that... And I got an idea for a majorly decorative scarf of knitted roses...so I've bought the wool for that...and I still have to get back to Louisa! And there's a pair of wristies promised for a friend...and a pair of boot socks for myself for while we're up north where it's still pretty cold...

So much for resolutions!

Jan in CA
03-15-2009, 10:59 PM
Wait... you can have too many? :zombie: :teehee: I have the same problem. Lately I'm the frog queen. :roll:

Mike
03-16-2009, 02:57 AM
I went most of last summer only finishing a pair of socks (by late fall), and I had a bad neck so it wasn't archery keeping me busy.

Then recently I started finishing all kinds of things. Some were ones started over the summer and pecked at here and there.
Eventually you'll peck at them enough that the end is in sight and you'll finish.

Unless you're never pecking at them and don't intend to. Then you may as well frog them.

Mirl56
03-16-2009, 07:40 AM
Work thru them on a rotation type system - pick one and work on it that day/2 days/week/until it bores you. Next knitting session work on the next one that day/2 days/week/until it bores you. Continue on until you get to the first one again. continue.

If it really matters to you that you have so many WIPS, don't start a new project until you finish one of the current ones. Or don't start a new project until you finish two of the current ones - that will evenutally narrow down the number of WIPS.
:knitting: :knitting: :thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
03-16-2009, 08:08 AM
I don't think it matters how many WIPS you have! :hug:

But, here is a BIG DRAWBACK that made me sober up about my number of WIPS rollin' at the same time:

I forget what I'm doing! :eyes: I lose my 'mantra'. :pout: Each time I go back to pick up a certain WIP, it's like we never met before today! I have to introduce myself all over again. Go through all the small talk! Get reacquainted! Gah! And the WIP acts like we never met! The WIP will act standoffish for a while! :teehee: Yeah, that'll teach me to play around with other WIPS!

So, I'm tellin' ya...try to slow your roll! :teehee: Try to finish one thing before you begin another! You'll actually get more done. :thumbsup:

See down there in my signature? While SYLVI has been blocking, I began BETTNA. So, I'm 75% done with BETTNA. And I just swatched for YANK. But, when SYLVI is done blocking, I will seam her up and finish her off before going back to BETTNA. I won't work on YANK til BETTNA is blocking. I kinda play leapfrog like that so I always have something to do.

globaltraveler
03-16-2009, 08:12 AM
But, here is a BIG DRAWBACK that made me sober up about my number of WIPS rollin' at the same time:

I forget what I'm doing!

Yup -- that was exactly why I made my "resolve"! Especially on lace patterns...I just couldn't seem to get the hang of it again for ages after picking up a project after time had gone by...

It's going to be weird going back to Louisa...

LadyFirelyght
03-16-2009, 11:13 AM
Usually when I get bored of something like a sweater or socks that take a long time to do, I'll do something quick like a hat. I can usually finish a hat in two afternoons. Or if I have a lot of free time on my hands, I can finish it in one day. I have a lot of hats made up now, but I still have two hats worth of material left, just in case :)

Then again, I never really have too many projects OTN. Right now, I only have one: a pair of socks. The most I've ever had was three: A pair of socks, a hat, and a pair of baby socks. Two quick ones and a slow one. It drives me insane to not be getting work done.

Wait... I just remembered something. I have an afghan that I started back in October that I still haven't finished. :rofl:

Jan in CA
03-16-2009, 11:52 AM

I forget what I'm doing! :eyes: I lose my 'mantra'. :pout:

This is true..and also I end up needing the needles for some other project and take them out then forget what needle I used. :lol:

ArtLady1981
03-16-2009, 01:16 PM
OH! That reminds me, Jan! I "lost" a pair of circs once! I searched the house up and down. Dang!

Guess where they were? Yup. In a WIP. That'll teach me!
But not before I went out a re-purchased the size. Doh. :doh:

Much, much later I remember the project, and find the needles!

Freyja
03-16-2009, 03:04 PM
Heh, yeah, that's one reason I have at least 2 needles for the sizes I use a lot, some of them I have about 4 - most of them have something on them....

Ditto:teehee: