PDA

View Full Version : Hand massaging gloves?

Lyndalm
03-16-2009, 10:32 AM
I've been having trouble with my hand and was wondering if those hand-eze/hand massaging gloves are worth getting? If so, what brand?

TIA

globaltraveler
03-16-2009, 08:42 PM
It all depends on *why* you're having problems with your hand. If the muscles or bones are needing support, or if you need your hand to stay warm, or some such, then yes, they'll help. I don't know enough about the brands to know if one is better than another -- but some of my crafting friends of various sorts swear by them in general.

biztec
03-17-2009, 07:59 AM
I'm curious about this as well. My thumb joints get sore, especially when I do a lot of crochet. I alternate between knitting and crocheting to give them a rest, but can't help but think some kind of glove might help.

Cirrus
03-17-2009, 02:50 PM
Could someone give a link to these gloves?

globaltraveler
03-17-2009, 03:31 PM
Go to joann.com and search for "glove" -- you'll find several different kinds.

KnittedRose
03-17-2009, 11:08 PM
Many who knit, crochet, spin, weave, or do similar crafts, can have hand, neck, and shoulder issues. As a massage therapist, I would suggest that you try to find a good massage therapist that is familiar with trigger point therapy. It provides great relief and with a minimal amount of hands on instruction you can learn how to do it on yourself. I regularly work the trigger points in my arms and hands, (caused by both knitting and by doing massage) I teach my clients to do the same. Massaging a joint gently will help it produce more synovial fluid, which helps to cushion the joint. Try massaging between the bones on your hands, a good soak in warm water can sometimes bring temporary relief. Hope that helps some.
KR

Lisa R.
03-18-2009, 09:12 AM
Ditto on the massage/trigger point stuff. My chiropractor showed me what to do, and I rarely have any tendonitis type issues now. You can be dealing with referred pain, as well (i.e., some of *my* wrist/thumb pain issues are relieved by massaging up near my elbow). In other words, deal with the source as well as the manifestation of the pain. :)

Cirrus
03-18-2009, 05:57 PM
Great post, Knitted Rose. Once a massage therapist helped me tremendously with plantars fasciitis, so I am a total believer! It can be extremely helpful to the hands also. Thanks for the suggestions.