PDA

View Full Version : Meret Beret

margz3
03-16-2009, 11:01 AM
This beret was inspired by Slim's terrific version! This is the Meret Beret (Mystery Beret) found on Ravelry http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/meret-mystery-beret. I knit it in the medium size and did 2 pattern repeats. I didn't want it SUPER slouchy, but would probably prefer it a bit more slouchy so would do a third repeat next time. I started the project on Friday (I had the day off!) and finished it yesterday morning. I also used Slim's idea of blocking it on a dinner plate!

I really enjoyed knitting it! This was both my first completed project knitting in the round as well as my first attempt with using DPNs. I'm not sure I used them 100% correctly, but it did the job! The yarn (Frog Tree, 100% Alpaca, worsted) was also a real pleasure to work with.

I couldn't get a picture to show the lace pattern very clearly, but here is a photo of it on me.

margz3
03-16-2009, 11:07 AM
For some reason I am having difficulty with getting photos posted here lately!

GirlChris
03-16-2009, 11:20 AM
oooh nice, I love the color

Slim
03-16-2009, 11:30 AM
Oh, it's lovely! Gorgeous color. Nice work.

Jan in CA
03-16-2009, 11:37 AM
Very pretty!

ritaw
03-16-2009, 12:08 PM
What a lovely rich colour . I think it is lovely . :)

ArtLady1981
03-16-2009, 03:37 PM
This is such a nice pattern, and your beret is great! The color really looks good on you, Margaret! Thanks for the link, too. It's in my QUEUE!

MerigoldinWA
03-16-2009, 04:26 PM
Nice hat made with beautiful yarn.

WandaT
03-17-2009, 08:02 AM
It turned out nice! Love the beautiful rich color too! I noticed you have the Agave scarf OTN ... love that pattern! Made one for my DD. Need to make one for me too - I would like one in the black/gray colorway.

margz3
03-17-2009, 09:52 AM
It turned out nice! Love the beautiful rich color too! I noticed you have the Agave scarf OTN ... love that pattern! Made one for my DD. Need to make one for me too - I would like one in the black/gray colorway.

I think I found the pattern for the Agave scarf from you Wanda! Thanks :) It would look great in a black/gray colorway!

dustinac
03-17-2009, 10:43 AM
:happydance: Great job!

ArtLady1981
03-17-2009, 03:25 PM
Hi Marg! You inspired me to knit this beret, too! I have some leftover yarn from a sweater I just finished (Bettna).

Can I ask you a question? What size did you knit?
I had such a hard time deciding how many st to cast on.
So, I cast on 88, the size L.

But now, I am not sure how 'slouchy' I should make it.
The slouchiness depends on how many repeats we knit.

How many st did you cast on?
How many (Rows 1-10) repeats did you knit before beginning the crown?

Thanks!

margz3
03-17-2009, 04:12 PM
Hi Marg! You inspired me to knit this beret, too! I have some leftover yarn from a sweater I just finished (Bettna).

Can I ask you a question? What size did you knit?
I had such a hard time deciding how many st to cast on.
So, I cast on 88, the size L.

But now, I am not sure how 'slouchy' I should make it.
The slouchiness depends on how many repeats we knit.

How many st did you cast on?
How many (Rows 1-10) repeats did you knit before beginning the crown?

Thanks!

I knit the size medium - cast on 80 sts - It is plenty big enough! I guess I don't have a very big head :teehee:

I didn't want to admit it, but I kind of messed up. I started with Round 1 (for the medium size the pattern calls for you to start with rounds 4-10, then 1-10, then 1-2) and repeated the full 10 rounds again, then continued to do 1 & 2 (called for in all sizes prior to starting the crown). Though in my defense, later in the pattern it does suggest that you can start on any round to create a different look! :wink: Anyhow, I guess I would have done one more repeat of the rounds, or if I had started correctly, would have done the rounds 4-10, then 1-10 twice.

Hope that made sense!

ArtLady1981
03-17-2009, 05:44 PM
Yes, that makes sense Marg! And thank you for sharing the info with me!

I already cast on for the Lrg (88st)...but it seems as though it will be ok for me. I dunno, maybe my noggin is a bit bigger! If it turns out to be too loose around the head, I can always thread some elastic cord through it, to make it snugger without being tight. Like who needs to get a headache!
Yeah, I think you're right. It doesn't really matter what round you start on, as long as you end on a Row 2 before you begin the decrease rounds, cuz they hook up right that way. Or so the directions state!

I am on round 9 now, my first repeat, and I must say, this is an EASY pattern to knit! I am loving it! Thanks for inspiring me!

Slim made one of these, too, and posted it last week or so. Thanks to you, too, Slim...if you should read this!

margz3
03-18-2009, 09:04 AM
Good idea about the elastic cord - I never would have thought of that!

It is an easy pattern to work! The progressing rounds made total sense and I was even able to knit this in the car and still talk to my hubby lol!

Can't wait to see your FO :)