PDA

View Full Version : The History of Knitting

Arielluria
03-16-2009, 05:50 PM
I'd really like to know more about knitting, any and all related historical topics. I had a good site on that, but don't have that link now.

There are lots of things to dig into such as fair isle and aran & guernseys (sic?) knitting and their historical roots, etc. But what really caught my attention was that it was probably invented by men making fishing nets and that a few hundred years ago it was actually strictly a male hobby.

I remember reading the the oldest knitting samples found are actually knit in the round, that they would apparently knit that way and they split open the fabric to use any other way.

I'm not saying I'm correct on all these issues, these are just a few facts I remember reading, though without their source I can't say they are trustworthy.

I'd sure like to learn more. What do you know about the history of knitting?

Plantgoddess+
03-16-2009, 05:59 PM
Check your local library for books on knitting. I've read several books with some history of knitting in different areas of the world. The Sweater Workshop has some interesting history about knitting with a reference to a painting dating back to 1390 showing the Madonna working with 4 dpns on the neck of what appears to be a seamless garment. There is more info on various items from the past that have survived and are in museums in Europe.

imrachel
03-16-2009, 07:35 PM
Look for these books:

No Idle Hands by Annde Macdonald
Knitting by the Fireside and on the Hillside by Linda Fryer
A History of Hand Knitting by Richan Rutt
The Mummies of Urumchi by Elilzabeth Barber

Also, check out this site for reprints of historical patterns: www.ivarose.com

Arielluria
03-16-2009, 07:46 PM
Here's a Knitty page called History 101 (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring06/FEAThistory101.html)