PDA

View Full Version : Itchin' to spend some knitting money....

ArtLady1981
03-16-2009, 09:55 PM
Well, as some of you may know, I put myself on a yarn diet for 2009.
You'd totally agree with that if you saw my Ravelry Stash Notebook.

But I'm dyin' to get something in the mail.

I purchased 2 sets of those cool jigsaw puzzle blocking squares from Knitpicks, and while I was at it, I threw in one pair of their new 10" straight HARMONY knitting needles.

I've been dying to try them. They are as cute as a button!
I hope I will enjoy working with them on scarves.
My new 10" Harmony straights are US8. Kinda in the middle.
I'll let you know what I think of them later this week!
http://www.knitpicks.com/kpimages/groups/STNHarmonyneedles.jpg

Does anyone else have a pair of the new Harmony straights in either 10" length and 14" length?

How do you like them? :knitting: :guyknitting:

imrachel
03-16-2009, 11:56 PM
I have them all.:shock: And love them. At least the 10" ones, anyway. The longer ones I find to be just too hard my wrists these days. It never used to bother me, but knit enough, and the extra weight, even when just casted on, that extra length of the needles is now cumbersome. But the 10" are a dream. Very smooth, sharp points without drawing blood if you get your finger tip in the way. . . they're just great for certain "flat" projects. I know some people use circs for all flat knitting, but I just don't like the feel of it. So I've kept my straights and got these, and very happy I did. KP also just put them out in 7mm, by the way.

globaltraveler
03-17-2009, 06:27 AM
Oooh, fun! I haven't used them (I'm a metal girl, myself, and was actually petting some Addi straights the other day), but I'm totally a gadget person, so buying more tools and gadgets always sounds like a good idea to me!

Plantgoddess+
03-17-2009, 06:59 AM
I'm trying to restrain my yarn shopping as well. I want one of KP's ballwinders, but am going to wait until I can come up with the $50 minimum. My husband just built me a swift that works great. I've also got enough sock yarn to last a few months so I'm trying not to look at ads or sales.

Craw
03-17-2009, 08:41 AM
Holy cow!!! :thud: Yes, I did see your stash on Ravelry. You need to do some serious destashing. I'll PM you my address, LOL. ;) I have one pair of the Harmony straights (US 7) and I love them! I definitely want the whole set some day. Using those and a really nice yarn is luxury knitting to me. I'm always afraid I'm going to break the tips though. Especially when I do a k2tog, which so far is a very tight stitch for me. Still, they seem to be sturdier than I think. I can't use 14" straights either. I keep whacking the cat with the ends. :teehee: Plus, if I need to hold that many stitches, I'm going to use circulars. Much easier on my wrists.

cheley
03-17-2009, 09:12 AM
Well, as some of you may know, I put myself on a yarn diet for 2009.
You'd totally agree with that if you saw my Ravelry Stash Notebook.

But I'm dyin' to get something in the mail.

I purchased 2 sets of those cool jigsaw puzzle blocking squares from Knitpicks, and while I was at it, I threw in one pair of their new 10" straight HARMONY knitting needles.

I've been dying to try them. They are as cute as a button!
I hope I will enjoy working with them on scarves.
My new 10" Harmony straights are US8. Kinda in the middle.
I'll let you know what I think of them later this week!
http://www.knitpicks.com/kpimages/groups/STNHarmonyneedles.jpg

Does anyone else have a pair of the new Harmony straights in either 10" length and 14" length?

How do you like them? :knitting: :guyknitting::chair: Yikes!!!! I just checked out your stash too!!! Please share some of your "Noro" with me...Please!!!:flirt: Send me a pm on $$$ you want...:hug:

divagirl
03-17-2009, 03:10 PM
I have one pair of Harmony straights and they are the ONLY wooden needles I have ever liked.

melmac51
03-18-2009, 04:43 PM
Holy cow!!! :thud: Yes, I did see your stash on Ravelry. You need to do some serious destashing. I'll PM you my address, LOL. ;) I have one pair of the Harmony straights (US 7) and I love them! I definitely want the whole set some day. Using those and a really nice yarn is luxury knitting to me. I'm always afraid I'm going to break the tips though. Especially when I do a k2tog, which so far is a very tight stitch for me. Still, they seem to be sturdier than I think. I can't use 14" straights either. I keep whacking the cat with the ends. :teehee: Plus, if I need to hold that many stitches, I'm going to use circulars. Much easier on my wrists.

Ditto!!! :wink:

laikabear
03-21-2009, 10:26 PM
I'm interested in how the Harmonies compare with the Options. I have a full Options set :heart: :heart: , but I'm making something with Elann Peruvian Highland, and the options tend to split that yarn really easily. It's kind of "lazily" plied, IMHO. I was wondering if the Harmonies might be less likely to do so.

ArtLady1981
03-22-2009, 02:37 AM
That cypress green jacket I made for my husband was Elann Peruvian Highland (w/ a bit of donegal speckles), too! Yup, single ply yarns do split easily.

I have the Harmony's, too, and they don't split single plies as easily cuz they have a bit more 'grab' to them, so they don't pierce the plies quite so quickly.

However, I used good ole Addis for his jacket. With the round nosed Addis you don't even have to think about the splits. Harmony's can split yarn, but not like the metal OPTIONS.

I love having both sets, especially for knitting in the round on two long circs. I use the Harmony tips for one half the round, and the metal OPTIONS for the other half of the round, and this kinda marks my starting point! No need for a stitch marker. The first '16' st are silvers, the last '16' st are wood. Takes all the thinkin' out of the process. And no chance of knitting with the wrong end!
Just silver to silver, then wood to wood!

newamy
03-22-2009, 03:03 PM
I just looked at your stash. Do you live at a yarn shop???

laikabear
03-22-2009, 07:59 PM
Actually, my Elann is a 2 ply yarn (mine's Chunky, you have Bulky!). The 2 plies aren't twisted very tightly though. It's a little reminiscent of twine. Ugh, I can't believe I just said that. I bet it will soften up in the wash. Uh, hope, that is. I think I would have liked the single ply better. I'm doing fine with my 2 ply Cascade 109, but it doesn't want to unravel on me.