PDA

View Full Version : I almost lost my pupper this weekend

GinnyG
03-17-2009, 05:10 AM
I'm a "dog person", not ashamed to admit it, fully expect to be a crazy old lady surrounded by her dogs. Currently I am owned by a 13 year old English Sheepdog and a 4 year old Maltese. All my plans (as well as those of my DH) center around "the boys".

Our kids are grown and spread to the winds and we love them dearly, but don't see nearly as much of them as we would like.

So the puppers are the center of the world for us. They go everywhere (but work) with us and even spend the weekends at the Firehouse with us.

I thought I was going to loose my sheepdog this weekend and cannot believe the way it shook me. He is very old and for the last couple of years I have tried to prepare myself for the inevitable outcome. I always thought I would handle it with grace and dignity. NOT SO.

Sunday morning Tasker (my sheepie) woke and could not bear weight on his back end. We rushed him off to the Emergency Vet (who is not my regular Vet). She examined him carefully and informed me that it was a degenerative neurological problem and that I basically needed to accept that "the time had come".

I decided that I needed to hear something that important from MY VET, who has cared for Tasker since he was 6 weeks old. So I went home and pretty much spent the next 24 hours on the floor by him crying. I tried to go to work yesterday but couldn't make it through the day. Last night we took him to his Vet.

She is cautiously optomistic that with strong pain meds we can get his pain under control and give him a bit more quality time. I know this is not a long term solution and don't want to keep him alive if he is in pain but I am not ready to lose him and judging by the way he is eating everything in site and playing with his brother (while laying down), he isn't ready to go either. So last night we started the medications.

WOnder of wonders, this morning he got up on his own and actually walked outside to "do his business". We have a sling to help him but he walked on his own!! I am ecstatic.

Sorry for the long post but I really wanted to share my excitement with someone. I know that this is only buyiung some time but even a few more months with my big boy is worth more than I can imagine.

Ronda
03-17-2009, 07:21 AM
I'm a dog lover, too. I'm glad you have some more quality time with your little guy.

dustinac
03-17-2009, 08:07 AM
:hug::heart::hug:

cindycactus
03-17-2009, 08:38 AM
We lost our Peke in 1985 and still miss him. :grphug:

cftwo
03-17-2009, 08:50 AM
I'm glad you're able to give him more time to enjoy life.

Mulderknitter
03-17-2009, 09:00 AM
As long as there is still quality of life, you are doing the right thing! Many hugs to all of you!:muah:

Luvmyrottnboy
03-17-2009, 10:31 AM
Oh I KNOW how it is. My boy is my universe and he does come to work with me sometimes! I am glad you have more time with him. You will know when the time is here. He will let you know.

I am also very happy that you decided to see your own vet.

My vet saved my boy from needless suffering when an emergency vet hospital in Boston diagnosed my boy with: pancreatitis, gasteroenteristis, and an enlarged spleen! NONE of which he had. They wanted to keep him for a week and tube feed him.

Our own vets know our pets and they know us. Kudos to your vet for finding a pain protoccol for your boy and giving you both this precious gift.

Sloopy kisses and hugs to you all.

bailsmom
03-17-2009, 10:57 AM
:hug: Oh thank goodness he's feeling better. I'm so sorry for the scare you had, that must have been just dreadful. We lost our Duke 4 years ago last week and I cry for him at least once a week so I know exactly how you feel about your baby. We are the same way when it comes to our Bailey, we plan our days around her. We can't be gone too long cause she needs to go potty or eat or have her nighly walk. She is our world.

I hope you have many more days, weeks and months with your precious one. :hug:

Jenelle
03-17-2009, 01:29 PM
I'm glad your vet gave you guys a bit more time with him. :hug:It is a good sign that he's still eating and drinking, and that with the medication you can be at ease that the pain isn't bad for him. :heart:

JessicaR
03-17-2009, 05:34 PM
I'm so glad the meds are working! Saturday morning we took my John Boy to the vet after a night of him yelping in pain. Turns out beagles just have a very low tolerance for pain and some cortisone and rimadyl did it. He was back being the little brat he is that night.

I have yet to lose my first dog. We will have had Rose going on 5 years now, she's about 7-8. I know I will lose it when it happens. Enjoy the extra time you have with ur guy! :hug:

Kattra
03-18-2009, 02:44 AM
I have only ever had three dogs... My Nicky who lived to be an old man... I sill love him. Buffy who was such an escape artest that my mom finly had to take her back to the shelter... Damn that hurt, and a temparary how gest that my mom was watching for a friend.

But I remember and love every one of my cats.... I guess I am luck cats tend to just stop eating for a day or to and then wander of to pass on by them selfs so I get to pertend they are still out there some where....

GinnyG
03-19-2009, 03:31 PM
Thank you everyone. This week has been a haze. Just had to send an apology to Gail for not getting my Oddball blanket out in a timely fashion . But I am happy to report that my Old Guy is doing well, getting around and seems to be very comfortable. We are lightening up on the pain meds starting tonight and that will be the test of whether this can be managed a while longer or not.

Wanda Witch
03-19-2009, 04:41 PM
I will be keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best for your fine fella there. Where there is an appetite and the will I believe there is always hope. Our last little lady lived past her 17th birthday so I will pray your fella does also. Good luck and I send lots of :hug: :heart: :hug:

TEMA
03-21-2009, 06:00 PM
Bravo for not giving into the first 'expert'... not that they didn't mean well... but they don't know you or you puppy....
My puppy has been gone 4 years now and I still play our empty paper towel roller game as if he was still here and chasing after it.
It's hard that the simple chore of changing the paper towel roller is so emotional... but it is.
So glad you have more time with your very special doggie.
I know you will not let him suffer unnecessarily.
I wish I'd been able to keep my KD longer too...
TEMA :hug:

Doodknitwit
03-21-2009, 06:31 PM
perfectly normal reaction.. for a lover of animal children

bjc1050
03-23-2009, 03:55 PM
So glad the medications are helping your dog. I'm another dog lover and still miss the special dogs that have passed on even though we currently have 3 dogs. It's terrible to have to finally let go. The only thing that helps is to remember their funny peculiarities which were usually different for each dog.