PDA

View Full Version : Hobby Lobby For Truckers

Knitting_Guy
03-18-2009, 02:36 PM
Monday evening I pulled into a small truck fuel stop in Springdale, AR and as I did I noticed a shopping center next door that had not only a Hobby Lobby but a Michael's as well. Wow.

Naturally I walked over to do a bit of looking around. As money is tight all I wound up buying was some metal darning needles to use to bind off and weave in tails. The metal tapestry needles just didn;t look to have a large enough eye for heavier yarns, but the darning needles looked perfect.

Somehow I always manage to break the plastic tapestry needles I had been using so I figured that maybe these metal ones will last me a while longer.

I am almost finished with the bottom ribbing on the turtleneck and then I can try them out doing the sewn bind off.

I hadn't really been knitting much since my mom passed away but am slowly getting myself back into the habit.

JessicaR
03-18-2009, 02:56 PM
That's good Mason! I went back to MI to visit my family and best friend. She mentioned that the Michael's that I always went to had moved. We went to the new location and OMG, it was like the holy grail of Michael's! I was in heaven!!! Only thing that kept me from buying everything was that I took the train and I'd have to drag all the stuff back with me.

evona
03-18-2009, 02:58 PM
Wow! A Hobby Lobby and a Michael's at a truck stop!!! That's a pretty cool find!

I'm glad that things are getting back to normal for you and you're getting some knitting done.

I know what you mean about money being tight too. Just the other day I went to Michael's after what seemed like an eternity. They are redoing their yarn section so a bunch of stuff was on sale, but I still felt guilty buying the bit I did (2 balls of Bernat Baby Jaquard).

I always get the metal darning needles myself. I have a pair that are my favorites and I have had them around for over 2 years. :wink:

sue in canada
03-18-2009, 03:45 PM
A Hobby Lobby and Michaels in one plaza, what a find.

I always use metal needles, the plastic ones are too flimsy. Glad you are getting back in to the knitting Mason and hope that things are starting to get back to normal for you. Are you getting more work these days?

suzeeq
03-18-2009, 04:11 PM
I just use a crochet hook. I have some metal ones, but have trouble threading the yarn through the eye and have wondered if the plastic ones were easier to do that. Guess I'll stitck to the hooks....

Kattra
03-18-2009, 09:28 PM
You are so luck to have gotten to go there... My LYS is not very big don't get me gong they are a great shop and nice folks but they can only carry so much and carry mostly higher end goods.

I do not blame them after all they make the rent my selling wallety becuse they don't have the room for quantaty...

I just wish some times that I could get desent cheep yarn rather than really good expinsive yarn that just ends up as scarfs because I am still learning.

bambi
03-19-2009, 11:07 PM
WoooHooo!!!! A yarn bonanza!

Bambi

Knitting_Guy
03-19-2009, 11:11 PM
Thanks folks.

Work has picked up a bit but is still slow compared to normal. I can't complain as I know it's tough right now for pretty much everyone and am just happy to still have a job.

Was using the new metal darning needle this evening to bind off the bottom edge of the sweater and am quite happy with it. The end of the needle is set off at about a 30 degree angle which makes working it into the stitches a whole lot easier.

I have about 2/3 of the thing bound off. I probably could have finished binding it off this evening but spent a lot of time chatting with a couple of ladies which sort of distracted me and slowed my work a bit :rofl:

biztec
03-20-2009, 09:17 AM
Mason, can't wait to see the finished product. You have to be the coolest trucker on the planet!

Dangles
03-20-2009, 10:11 PM
I await your finished product. weee can't wait. Good to hear from you, Mason. :)

Debkcs
03-21-2009, 03:59 AM
It does take time, doesn't it? Today we recieved a package that contained some pictures of my DMIL that we'd never seen before, and we both broke into tears. It's been fourteen months, but we think about her daily.

She was a sweet, wonderful Texas lady, a Methodist Southern lady who never had a bad word or unasked for advice for anyone. The biggest shock I ever had was seeing her flip off Richard Nixon one night as we watched the evening news :roflhard:

TEMA
03-21-2009, 05:52 PM
I'm pretty much a newbie, Mason, but I gotta say, I always look forward to your posts...
Sure wish I could get my dh to take up knitting... He's so bored with retirement and it would give him something nice and interesting to do.
Glad you are getting back into the 'normal' life... losing a Mom is always hard. She always dies too young for her kids... no matter how old they are. She's Mom and that says it all.
Take care,
TEMA

Jan in CA
03-24-2009, 11:19 AM
I'm pretty much a newbie, Mason, but I gotta say, I always look forward to your posts...
Sure wish I could get my dh to take up knitting... He's so bored with retirement and it would give him something nice and interesting to do.

My DH started taking art classes when he retired 7 yrs ago. He's taking ceramics right now, but most of them have been fine arts of one type or another.

Has your DH considered - Taking a class at the local community college? Volunteering somewhere (elementary school, kids sports teams, senior center, library, etc).