PDA

View Full Version : Fav Needles?

Kattra
03-18-2009, 10:55 PM
Lets talk needles.

I have curricler needles and mettle needles and bamboo needs but the needles I love best are a pair of 6.0 mm. clear plastic Susan Bates flats.

They are not cold or a slick as my mettle ones. They are less expensive than bamboo and feather light. And they do not have that rubbery feel that other plastic needles I have worked with did.

So what are your fav needles?

saracidaltendencies
03-18-2009, 11:22 PM
So far, my Knit Picks Options are my favs followed by my Brittany DPNs, followed by my bamboos.

Jan in CA
03-19-2009, 01:21 AM
My Knitpicks nickel plated Options by a wide margin.

globaltraveler
03-19-2009, 05:41 AM
Addi Premium and Lace Needles first, then the KP Options Nova needles, then the KP Options Symphonie/Harmonie needles. But I use the Nova needles the most!

knitpurlgurl
03-19-2009, 07:24 AM
My favorite needles are, in general, circular needles. I rarely pick up a straight needle anymore. I use circs for everything now.

My ultimate fave are my Addi Turbos. But, to knit socks or anything using magic loop, I prefer my Knit Picks Nickel-plated needles because the cable is much more flexible. I own several pair of fixed KP needles under US size 4 and the KP Options set with several cables in various sizes. (I only use nickel-plated needles now because I knit very tightly and they allow the stitches to slide more freely for me.)

As far as cable needles - I use the KP center scoop cable needles.

As far as crochet goes.. I prefer my Addi hooks.

dustinac
03-19-2009, 07:32 AM
I always use circs and just bagged up all my straights to give away. My favorite needles are Addi Turbo and Knit Pick options. I own more Options so that is what I use the most. I do have some Addi in my sock sizes for magic loop though. For DPNs I like Hiya-Hiya's 5" but I want to get Knit Picks Harmony sock set too, only thing is I don't use dpns enough in my mind to get them :thumbsup:

tourmaline
03-19-2009, 08:02 AM
I like nickel coated ones. I have one addi circular and an options set. I've tried the Harmony ones and they are really pretty but I like the slide and cool feeling of the metal. I prefer circulars over straights.

Sactosinger
03-19-2009, 10:34 AM
Several favorites - most of my knitting is done on either circular or DPNs. Love Addi turbos for circulars and bamboo or some other wood for DPNs. Long straight needles - what are those?

Anarfea
03-19-2009, 03:26 PM
I'm kintting my first "real" lace weight project (by which I mean the first lace I've knit in a lace weight yarn) and I'm using knit picks harmony wood options size 4. The wood is a lifesaver for me, because the alpacca yarn is really slippery. And the best thing about them is that when I finish a pattern repeat I thread some embroidery floss through the little hole where you normally put the tightening key and slip all my stitches from one tip to the other. It's so much easier for me than using a tapestry needle to thread a lifeline.

Also I really love my bamboo DPNs they're so light. And again the slight stickiness keeps my stiches on my needles.

globaltraveler
03-19-2009, 04:01 PM
Anarfea, have you tried just putting the floss through the tightening hole and knitting your row? Works the same way, with no slipping of stitches at all. :)

Plantgoddess+
03-19-2009, 04:15 PM
For years all I had to knit on were Boyes straight, circular, and dpns. I now have the Harmony interchangeables and love them, I also got the Options sock dpn set and use them exclusively. I now understand better my husband's contention that good tools help get things done. My knitting has improved and my desire to knit has skyrocketed. I don't even want to give my Boyes circulars away because I don't want to discourage another potential knitter.

Ronda
03-20-2009, 07:15 AM
My Knitpicks nickel plated Options by a wide margin.

I agree with Jan 100%!

biztec
03-20-2009, 08:20 AM
I use circulars almost exclusively now. I adore my Denise interchangeables, plus they were inexpensive!

Crycket
03-20-2009, 08:32 AM
I love my harmony options straights....though I have not been doing to many projects that I can use them for....

The last couple of patterns I have worked have actually ben written for back and forth on Circular needles.....

Then there is the amount of socks I have been doing...which would make my KP sock needle set most used and favorite....

I have already gotten two ppl on board with buying them....and a third one on the way.....

thecanfield
03-20-2009, 08:59 AM
I absolutely love my Addi Turbos. I too started on the boyes and didnít even realize how I hated them till I went back after knitting on Addis for a while. It was like knitting with sand paper hehe
I disposed of them for the same reason as above. I was teaching my girlfriend how to use circulars and didnít want to discourage her so we went down and bought a pair or turbos in her favorite size.

Craw
03-20-2009, 10:12 AM
Addi Turbo is my favorite. I don't like the sharp, sharp tips on some other needles. I split up the yarn something fierce and have cut my finger trying to get stitches off. Now, the Harmony straights have a relatively sharp tip but I haven't had to fight to get stitches off of those needles yet. I suppose it depends on the yarn as much as the needle. I want to try bamboo needles, just looking for the right brand and it's not what my local Joann's or Michaels carries.

Cynamar
03-20-2009, 12:57 PM
Options are my very favorites and then Harmonies. I like bamboo needles and before I got my Options set I bought a lot of ChiaoGoos because they're cheap. The cable isn't as nice as Options but it does "swivel" so it doesn't get twisted. Addi Turbos are great but I do like a sharp point so they are not my favorites. I love the Harmony cable needles.

Anarfea
03-21-2009, 03:18 PM
Anarfea, have you tried just putting the floss through the tightening hole and knitting your row? Works the same way, with no slipping of stitches at all. :)

No but thanks for the tip I will try it tonight. I was under the impression that if I did that that I would somehow knit the lifeline into the fabric and it would not pull out.

Anarfea
03-21-2009, 03:27 PM
Addi Turbo is my favorite. I don't like the sharp, sharp tips on some other needles. I split up the yarn something fierce and have cut my finger trying to get stitches off. Now, the Harmony straights have a relatively sharp tip but I haven't had to fight to get stitches off of those needles yet. I suppose it depends on the yarn as much as the needle. I want to try bamboo needles, just looking for the right brand and it's not what my local Joann's or Michaels carries.

I like Clover.

B911Molly
03-21-2009, 08:47 PM
Hello everyone, I am new knitter and have no idea what I am doing,always get yarn twisted. Also I would like to knw if a knitting pattern can be converted to crochet pattern.