PDA

View Full Version : What is this plant?

vaknitter
03-19-2009, 08:49 PM
So I know the poor thing needs to be watered, but I would like to know what it is.... It is outgrowing its pot and I am wondering if I should just repot it in a larger pot and attempt to stake it straight or can I cut it off and root it like philadendron ?

Any thoughts....

mwhite
03-19-2009, 10:55 PM
The leaves resemble a peace lily. This one looks like it needs serious pruning. I looked on davesgarden.com and found This (http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/70627/)

Since it is a tender perennial, a serious trimming will not kill it, but I'd wait til you've watered or soaked it well and allow it to bounce back. Then keep in flourescent or shaded lighting. They love a couple of tablespoons of glycerin mixed with water to help them bloom. I used to trim mine all the way to the dirt surface each spring. I don't think it will root like philodendron but may root if you place a cut trunk with leaves, like shefflera.

Crycket
03-19-2009, 11:58 PM
Gosh...I am pretty sure we always had one....couldn't tell you what it is though....

Jan in CA
03-20-2009, 12:53 PM
My first thought was Peace Lily, but I think the leaves are too small. :think:

OffJumpsJack
03-20-2009, 01:24 PM
I know my mom has a plant like it. I don't think a peace lily has a segmented stem / vine like this.

I have no idea what the name is.

JessicaR
03-20-2009, 02:28 PM
The leaves definitely look like a peace lilly, but not the stems. Interesting!

Jan in CA
03-20-2009, 03:18 PM
:think: Maybe it's just a leggy Peace Lily? Does it flower?

http://www.pearlsflowers.com/images/products/peace%20lily.jpg

cheley
03-20-2009, 03:30 PM
I would say peace lilly too...

vaknitter
03-20-2009, 11:22 PM
Now that you all pointed it out, the leaves are very similar to a peace lily, but I don't think that's what it is. Maybe they are in the same family? I have several peace lily's and their leaves are more oblong and all grow from the pot. This has a very definite stem from which the leaves grow and the stems get longer and leaves fall off etc. As the years go by the stem is starting to get woody.

I am typically pretty bold about cutting back plants, but this one I know nothing about and I most certainly don't want to kill it....

mwhite
03-21-2009, 09:07 AM
Then it most probably is a Dieffenbachia, with the stalk. The woody stalk can be cut and rooted. If I remember correctly, leaves should be left on it as well. Daves garden has a super advanced search that lets you describe the plant characteristics and use to be free, now requires a membership....UH!

Arielluria
03-21-2009, 11:00 AM
It's definitely a Peace Lily. Needs plenty of water and needs NEVER dry out. The repotting is a good idea too. Also, keep it in a bright room but away from direct sunlight.