PDA

View Full Version : Torn....

Crycket
03-20-2009, 12:10 AM
Ok...

So for the last 10 years I worked in a Professional Live theatre...8 of which I spent in the box office...

When I got married, I left it behind as I moved cities and the commute would have been horrible....

So...I threw out a few resumes, not really thinking to hard about it...two to various LYS and one to a theatre about 40 mins away in a neighbouring city....

Well...I got a M-F 9-5 job in a LYS doing shipping stuff...which is nice cause of the hours (for all those years previous....I had wonky tourism hours) although it was at half the pay of my previous job....it is flexible, and I get a great discount on craft supplies/yarn...

The theatre just called me today (about 2 months later) and I assume they want to interview me...
Now...the LYS job is closer....and the hours would seem to suit me...however theatre is what I know best and feel most comfortable with...I don't know if I want to go back to the weird hours, or have a huge commute time...

The problem is...if I turn down the theatre...that is it...forever...once you turn them down...there is no going back....it is just the ego of the business...you need them, they don't need you....

So...do I call back and try for the theatre job...? Do I stay where I am and be moderately happy...even though I sometimes feel uncomfortable with what I am doing there? (sore back, tired feet - and occasionally fed up kinda of uncomfortable...not the "they are making me do stuff I don't think is ___________" kind of uncomfortable....) Do I risk shutting the door on the theatre job forever?

Jan in CA
03-20-2009, 12:33 AM
I think you should talk to your husband about it, too. Not to say you need to do what he wants, but his feelings should be considered and may help you make a decision. :hug:

Mirl56
03-20-2009, 07:08 AM
You need to call the theatre back and see just what they are offering, too. You are basing your decision now on what you THINK they will say. Talk to them so you really know your choices are.

Crycket
03-20-2009, 08:00 AM
Yeah...I will give her a call....

I went on the website to just to see what was available and it was either Food Prep, or Bartending...neither of which I would prefer over what I am doing now....

Crossing my fingers....

Knit4Pie
03-20-2009, 08:07 AM
My suggestion would also be to call and find out what it's about. I think that would make a decision easier, or at least let you make a more informed decision.

Songbirdy
03-20-2009, 11:59 AM
The least you can do is keep the options open until you have to make a choice. In otherwords, entertain the thought, like you said, see what they have to offer, consider what your partner has to say and then... when it comes down to it make a decision based on the information you have, resolve that you made the best choice you could and then live on with out regrets or second-guessing!

Ronda
03-24-2009, 07:14 AM
I'm curious to see how this turned out! Any news?

auburnchick
03-25-2009, 11:12 PM
I vote for the LYS job, although you know yourself better. Better hours, closer to home...more time with the hubster. You never know what doors this will open.

Plus, if you decide to have children, you'll be on a more regular schedule.

Good luck!

brenda5316
03-26-2009, 10:16 PM
Or is the question not necessarily about the job, but what you really love doing. Even though your job is convenient and works, it may not be filling your creative side the way you want to. I know that if you are truly the artist type, getting away from it is complete agony, even though it is a weird lifestyle. I would make that a priority as well... and even if it is not this theatre job, it may be the ability to move back into what you really love. Good luck!