PDA

View Full Version : Cookie A Book Pricing -- ??

Lisa_H-Town
03-26-2009, 04:04 PM
So, I got the e-mail from Knitting Daily for this book (http://www.interweavestore.com/store/p/2256-Sock-Innovation-Knitting-Techniques-Patterns-for-One-of-a-Kind-Socks.aspx?a=ke090323&p=6) from IW Press. I am interested in purchasing, but just got another e-mail fro KP for the same book cheaper (http://www.knitpicks.com/Sock+Innovation_BD31195.html)... Noticed it was like $16 on Amazon. How are other people able sell cheaper than the actual people who published the book? (Or am I missing something here?)

dustinac
03-26-2009, 05:39 PM
Amazon usually does have it cheaper, I'm not sure how they do it, but Knit Picks is having 40% off on their sock books right now so that is one reason why their price is so low.

Which stinks for me 'cause I pre-ordered it as soon as you could on Amazon and now KP has it cheaper :rofl:

suzeeq
03-26-2009, 09:24 PM
Can you cancel the pre-order?

dustinac
03-27-2009, 08:17 AM
I checked but it's in the process of being shipped...however since I pre-ordered they would lock in the lowest price they offered it ..some time it's dropped to 13.77 (that was the charge)...:woohoo:

Lisa_H-Town
03-27-2009, 10:47 AM
dustinac: Sounds like you got the same price as KP is selling for, right?

I have another question, if you don't mind... when I read this:

Cookie guides you through the details of her design process, which include:
Choosing a stitch pattern to adapting it to be worked in the round, turned upside-down and inside-out, widened or narrowedDo you think that means the patterns could be converted to toe-up? I just wonder because further down, it says:

Sock Techniques - The basic pattern for a sock knitted from cuff to toe can be adapted in any number of ways for a truly original sock.

Which leads me to believe the patterns will originate as cuff down... I am still pretty new to this sock stuff, but definitely prefer the toe up method... am I over-thinking a $14 book?? :p

Thanks for you help!

suzeeq
03-27-2009, 10:52 AM
It sounds like she gives variations for knitting toe up.

Debkcs
03-27-2009, 12:35 PM
Amazon can price things low because they buy in huge quantities. This locks in a low price for them with publishers world wide.

Always check them before I buy a book anywhere else, especially since I don't want to pay for shipping.

Zappos.com for shoes, and Amazon.com for most other things, unless Costco has what I want for less.

Love to save $$!

dustinac
03-27-2009, 01:09 PM
Lisa~Yep I did...I don't buy a lot of books unless I check them out at the library first and really like them then I go to Amazon...but this book I jumped on. I love all her patterns and from what I can tell this book will not disappoint. :happydance:

kbagel
03-30-2009, 12:43 AM
I used to work in fashion (I know, I've had a million jobs) and one of my job responsibilities was making sure pricing was consistent in all markets. IE no store was selling the clothing for less than the MSRP.

Generally, the publisher sells for msrp which for example is $20. However, the wholesale price they're selling the book to retailers is probably $10. (honestly, not even that. the actual amount per book is probably much lower. that's just an easy number for math's sake) Therefore, the retailer can sell for anything over $10 and still make a profit. Additionally, the publisher probably gives large companies volume discounts and stores that pay their invoices early small 1% or 2% discounts. This leaves a lot of wiggle room when it comes to actual retails prices.