PDA

View Full Version : In Memory of my Grandma

kellyh57
04-01-2009, 09:46 AM
I knit my grandma a lapghan a couple of years ago. She was in assisted living at the time. It was all acrylic, easy care. She LOVED it! Every time I talked to her, she went on and on about how much she loved it. She kept it on the back of her chair and used it to wrap up quite often.

The Saturday before last, I went to visit her. We live about 4 1/2 hours from her. I went on Christmas, but she was sick so I didn't stay long. I'd felt bad about not getting to spend time with her and my other Grandma has been not well too. (They are blocks apart.) We spent Saturday afternoon visiting the two grandmas. Grandma Q was doing great. My sister was also in town (2 hours away) and visited them both that day. We were both surprised at how well Grandma Q was doing. She talked up a storm and has a memory like no other. (Well, long term memory. She may forget who you are or whatnot, but she can tell you where every postcard was from on her board.) She really was a fantastic lady!

That night, at about 1:30 a.m., we got a phone call. (I was at my parent's house.) I heard my dad talking on the phone for a few minutes so I knew it wasn't a wrong number or misdial. I heard him go talk to my mom and then he went downstairs. I went out and asked my mom who was now up, what happened. I figured someone fell or got sick. She told me to wait for my dad. He came up and told me Grandma Q had died that night. I was in utter shock. Apparently, she died in her sleep sometime between 12 and 1 when the nurses checked. She went peacefully without a struggle and I know she had a great last day on earth. (I'm 100% positive she's in heaven!)

Anyway. My grandma was never one to waste anything. She took meticulous care of everything too. She used EVERYTHING to it's full extent. My cousin told the story of sitting on the kitchen floor stringing buttons with the string from the top of the flour bag. The same cousin told that she had to get Grandma a zippered bag to keep the afghan I knit it. Grandma didn't want the nursing home people to snag it or hurt it. She told her that it was to be used. I'm sure it was. They put it on top of the casket at visitation and sent it home with me.

Now, my dilemma. What do I do with it? Do I save it for a memory? Do I use it as she would? Do I pass it on? I'm so greatful that I got it back. I don't know what would have happened to it if not. What would you do?

catlvr
04-01-2009, 10:10 AM
I would keep it, and pass it on to your children when they are old enough to appreciate what it meant to your grandma and you. My condolences on your loss. She sounds like she was an awesome lady.

mhansen
04-01-2009, 10:17 AM
I too would keep it and pass it along to your children. I'm very sorry for your loss.

Denise in Michigan
04-01-2009, 10:54 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss! You and your sister gave her a wonderful last day. What a marvelous, practical lady your grandmother was; she used and loved what you made with love for her. I'm sure her heart will tell your heart what to do. Just give it a little time.

saracidaltendencies
04-01-2009, 01:01 PM
:hug: I'm so sorry for your loss!

Add me to the list of those who voted to keep it...I too would do the same, and, hand it down to my kids to then hand down to theirs, etc...and I'd make sure I told them the story behind the blanket to be passed along as well.

Jan in CA
04-01-2009, 01:15 PM
I'd keep it as a memory as well.

:hug::hug::hug:

Simply_Renee
04-01-2009, 04:05 PM
:hug: :heart: :hug:

I would keep it too, to pass down to the kids later.

I'm sure you'll all miss her.

sgtpam
04-01-2009, 09:34 PM
I'm so glad that you had that last bit of very special time with her and that even to the end she let you know how much your present meant to her. I'm not one to put memories in a bag or a shelf...when my grandma left, the things I kept that belonged to her were things that I could use daily to keep her in my life in that way. Dishes I liked that I use all the time, s & p shakers that she collected..I fill them up and use them. I say, don't save it for the kids to use it later...use it now and remember her well. God Bless.

auburnchick
04-02-2009, 02:23 AM
First of all, I'm very sorry for your loss. I'm so glad that you got to see her before she passed away. I'm sure your visit was a blessing to her as well as you.

If you want to save it for your family, then do so, and USE it. I'm a firm believer that thing should be used and not tucked away because they are too pretty or "special" to be used. Enjoy and think of the joy that blanket brought to your grandmother. Every time you or a family member snuggles under it, you'll be able to share fond memories of your grandmother.

dustinac
04-02-2009, 08:33 AM
:hug:I'm sorry for your loss.

One of my most cherished items is a quilt. It's all torn and ratty looking but it was hand made by my grandmother...it used to cover me when I was a child, then she took it to the hospital with her every trip, it was on her bed before she passed away, she loved that quilt. My parents showed up one Easter with it and gave it to me...that has been the present ever! I would keep it and use it... :hug:

kellyh57
04-02-2009, 01:02 PM
I think I'm going to put it downstairs in the guest room. My parents sleep there when they visit. It will be very neat for my dad to see especially. We don't use the basement much, but I'm sure it'll get plenty of use and not abused as if it were up where we spend all of our time. I've been thinking of things to do with the other things I've received from her over the years. She had tons of buttons and I received a few jars full of them. I'm thinking of doing some sort of craft with them to send to my cousins as a memorabilia of her :)

cheley
04-02-2009, 08:24 PM
Hi there...Your story has brought me too tears...I didn't have "grandmas" in my later adult life, but I had the most wonderful neighbor (she was 89 at the time) who I adored..She taught me everything from gardening,quilting, knitting and crocheting..Well, 2 years this May, she started to really "age" (although still knitting and did her crocheting) but her "family" decided to put her in a "rest" home....I took a trip to CA at the time and knit her slippers on the plane and while vacationing...I posted (on KH) that I desperately needed a "prayer shawl" (since I couldn't whip one up quick enough)and some wonderful person sent me one..Well she waited till I got back in June (always holding the shawl and wearing the slippers) and passed on...To this day, whenever I want her near to me, I pull out that shawl and hug it...It will be with me forever...:hug: :heart: she was 93 years old....