PDA

View Full Version : FO - UPDATE! Double Knit Headband

Jan in CA
04-09-2009, 05:58 PM
My first double knit project. You can see both sides of it here. It's a free Ravelry download here.
Simple Double Knit Headband (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/simple-double-knit-headband)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3334/3426856489_f6c7233082.jpg

MerigoldinWA
04-09-2009, 06:06 PM
Good job!! Your edges look very nice. Is that one side still on the needle or is there some way to finish that looks like that?

Jan in CA
04-09-2009, 06:10 PM
It's still on a circular needle. I just folded it in half to show it. I just started another blue stripe then the white to finish it off. So I've got about 8-10 rows left I think.

This is my first time so I'm not sure about binding off or anything yet. I am just following it as it comes. It's much easier than I thought, but then I'm only doing stripes. :teehee:

mwhite
04-09-2009, 06:11 PM
The colors are very nice! Love the light blues..

MerigoldinWA
04-09-2009, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the reply. I thought it looked like it was still on the needle, but I have learned that just about nothing is impossible in knitting so maybe there was some clever bind off that would give that look. :-) It's coming along very nicely.

Jan in CA
04-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the reply. I thought it looked like it was still on the needle, but I have learned that just about nothing is impossible in knitting so maybe there was some clever bind off that would give that look. :-) It's coming along very nicely.

Thanks! I wonder if you couldn't do a bind off with the two colors like that on the needle and have it come out pretty.. I won't try it this time, but sometime. :thumbsup:

dustinac
04-09-2009, 09:19 PM
Very pretty, great job! :happydance:

ArtLady1981
04-10-2009, 07:11 AM
Oh Jan, this is really very nice! I guess I better do this headband, too, if only to master (try?) the double knitting thing, with the two strands held in the left hand. Oy!

WandaT
04-10-2009, 07:32 AM
Jan, that's going to be so cool!!! Double knitting is something else I haven't tried yet. Love how yours is turning out!

Jan in CA
04-10-2009, 10:18 AM
Oh Jan, this is really very nice! I guess I better do this headband, too, if only to master (try?) the double knitting thing, with the two strands held in the left hand. Oy!

I can't do it with both yarns held in either hand. I just can't wrap it around my fingers right! So I use both hands.

OffJumpsJack
04-10-2009, 10:26 AM
I can't do it with both yarns held in either hand. I just can't wrap it around my fingers right! So I use both hands.

Then you have earned the title...

Ambidextrous Interweavous (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90542)

:roflhard:

I just couldn't resist! LOL :)

margz3
04-10-2009, 10:47 AM
Looks very nice Jan!

:roflhard: Jack!!

Jan in CA
04-10-2009, 10:49 AM
Then you have earned the title...

Ambidextrous Interweavous (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90542)

:roflhard:

I just couldn't resist! LOL :)

:lol:

Jan in CA
04-14-2009, 12:21 PM
Here's the finished head band! It's a little wrinkly because I got the bind off a little tight, but since it's a head band it makes no difference.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3622/3442182096_26ae58ede2.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3578/3442182032_130f7afb27.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3327/3442181998_c74f4e9161.jpg

Lieuvena
04-14-2009, 02:42 PM
Very cool! I like it a lot. It looks great!

MerigoldinWA
04-14-2009, 03:30 PM
I turned out very well. It looks smooth on the side with the white at the edges, the wrinkles only show up on the side with the blue at the edges. It is hard to get the tension the same on both sides with DK. The 2 hats I made both looked better on the inside (the purled hat), I would have expected the opposite and was surprised at that.

Jan in CA
04-14-2009, 03:55 PM
The whiter side is the outside of mine so the purl side appears looser. I think it's that way in part here because I bound off a little tighter than I should have.

auburnchick
04-14-2009, 04:49 PM
I like that!!!!!! I really like the colors you used too! :inlove:

GinnyG
04-15-2009, 12:59 PM
Great job Jan!

I took a double knit headband class this winter. It was fun to learn the technique but I can't say I'm anxious to go out and do it again. I had trouble keeping my tension the same on both sides, the "inside" side came out with a looser tension. Which I guess didn't really matter but I also bound off a tad too tight.

Jan in CA
04-15-2009, 01:31 PM
Great job Jan!

I took a double knit headband class this winter. It was fun to learn the technique but I can't say I'm anxious to go out and do it again. I had trouble keeping my tension the same on both sides, the "inside" side came out with a looser tension. Which I guess didn't really matter but I also bound off a tad too tight.

I had the same problem, but it wasn't too obvious till I bound off too tightly. I had the "purl" yarn in my left hand and the "knit" yarn in my right hand. I wonder if my tension would even out if I switched to purling with my right hand...:think:

GinnyG
04-16-2009, 07:48 AM
My teacher said it was because of a difference in tension from knitting to purling. I do knit tighter than I purl but I'm not sure how to solve that!!

dustinac
04-16-2009, 08:46 AM
:happydance: Great job!

OffJumpsJack
04-22-2009, 04:46 PM
My teacher said it was because of a difference in tension from knitting to purling. I do knit tighter than I purl but I'm not sure how to solve that!!

Well, unless you can flip it and work the purls from the opposite side as knits... (opposite hand and direction too?)

Oh my head hurts from picturing it... I think you would also run into "twisted stitches" and so would need to follow the combined knitting style with your opposite hand knitting from the opposite side (of your purls) in the opposite direction (to your knit direction).

Of course, this would likely cause a new source of uneven tension.

But if purling has a different tension from knitting, wouldn't it show up in stockinette (no) garder stitch with several rows knit RS & WS then switch to purl on both RS&WS? (ignoring the row of ST ST that would separate the two sections)

Well that's something to try on a swatch.

Jan in CA
04-22-2009, 05:30 PM
Well, unless you can flip it and work the purls from the opposite side as knits... (opposite hand and direction too?)

Oh my head hurts from picturing it... I think you would also run into "twisted stitches" and so would need to follow the combined knitting style with your opposite hand knitting from the opposite side (of your purls) in the opposite direction (to your knit direction).

Of course, this would likely cause a new source of uneven tension.

But if purling has a different tension from knitting, wouldn't it show up in stockinette (no) garder stitch with several rows knit RS & WS then switch to purl on both RS&WS? (ignoring the row of ST ST that would separate the two sections)

Well that's something to try on a swatch.

:zombie: What?

OffJumpsJack
04-23-2009, 08:51 AM
:zombie: What?

:oops: Clear as mud, was I?

If purl stitches (always) have a different gauge from knitting, then what is one to do to achieve a uniform gauge?

To avoid purls you could turn your work and knit from left to right with left hand using combined knitting method (because stitches would be twisted, i.e. the leading side of the loop would be in the back). [Mirror that description for left handed knitters.]

However, Knitting with one's opposite hand in the opposite direction using the combined knitting style would be awkward and [be likely to] have a different gauge/tension from one's normal knitting. Thus this suggestion seems of little value in avoiding the difference in gauge between purls and knits.

Test to see if one's own purl stitches have a different gauge or tension from one's knit stitches.

1) Swatch in knit all rows for 4 inches (10 cm) then purl all rows for the same row count as the previous knit section.

That is what I will have to try.

(Note: I have already tried "Knitting with one's opposite hand in the opposite direction" but I failed to recognize the twisted stitches and don't think I used the combined knitting style. :doh: )

--Jack

P.S. Twice now I've forgotten to say how much I like your head band. Does the yarn have an elastic component?

Jan in CA
04-23-2009, 01:16 PM
Ohh.. I see where you're going now, Jack. The problem is this is knit in the round so there is no turning. If one were to knit flat then by turning each side gets it's turn to be a purled so it really isn't a problem and you don't need to worry about what type of knitting you're doing.

From what I've heard from others it's a common problem. Mine actually wasn't too bad till I bound off. That is where I really messed up by doing it too tightly so it accentuated the problem. When I flip it now though it really isn't a big deal and only really looks obvious when you look inside which makes sense. The 'inside' tracks are always shorter. :teehee:

No, elastic. This is just Plymouth Encore. Thanks!

OffJumpsJack
04-23-2009, 03:28 PM
Ah! but you can turn something worked in the round (facing inside) and either you reverse directions (such as for stranding, perhaps) or you get back to that ambidextrous thing. :oo: (that word is getting to be like a black cat from Matrix).

Now I must confess to a :doh: moment as I couldn't see any purl stitches in the head band. It did take a moment for me to realize why. :roll:

I guess I'll put a DK head band in my queue. I haven't done double knit yet. Did you link or mention a pattern? (off to have a second look or I could just wing it.). :waving:

Jan in CA
04-23-2009, 04:38 PM
Sure, you could flip it around and go back the other way however, that does create a hole or at the very least a weird spot which would in the end defeat the purpose of knitting in the round so it's all a smooth one piece knitted item.

Yeah, you won't see purls because they are 'inside'. It's actually two layers of fabric! Here's the link if you're on Ravelry (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/simple-double-knit-headband). You can see other projects here as well. Hmm...seems to only be available on there. PM me if you aren't on Rav...although that would beg the question of WHY NOT?! :teehee:

knittingymnast
04-23-2009, 05:43 PM
Oh, that's just so pretty! Double knitting is something that I'll have to try sometime...when I have enough time. :) Great job on that, and post pics of it finished, because I'd love to see them!

Jan in CA
04-23-2009, 07:42 PM
Oh, that's just so pretty! Double knitting is something that I'll have to try sometime...when I have enough time. :) Great job on that, and post pics of it finished, because I'd love to see them!

The finished picture is in post #14. :teehee:

Thanks!

OffJumpsJack
04-27-2009, 11:15 AM
Here's the finished head band! It's a little wrinkly because I got the bind off a little tight, but since it's a head band it makes no difference.

Ah, I dread binding off for the same reason. :wall: With double knit, can you use the SC or DC bind off? Oh, I guess I should go view Amy's DK video. ;)

I was wondering if the difference in circumference of the two sides has anything to do with the cause of the wrinkles (instead of gauge)? Since the purls create the inside layer, it makes sense to me that the inside layer would be shorter in length than the outside layer. Mathematically this is more pronounced with thicker fabric.

Um, I guess I'm asking if you can decrease the number of purls in your double knit while keeping the original number of knits specified in the pattern? If the thickness of st st in worsted weight yarn is just 1/8 inch (3.2 mm) then the difference in diameter is twice that or 1/4 inch (6.4 mm). That would make the difference in stitch counts to be 3.14 * 1/4 inch * gauge (st per inch) or 3.75 to 4 stitches less purls than knits.

I'm not on Ravelry; I though I requested an invitation but cannot find a reply. (I just have too many :doh: email addresses to pick from.) I either stopped before submitting my request or I used an older email address that has become orphaned due to spam.

Jan in CA
04-27-2009, 12:08 PM
Ah, I dread binding off for the same reason. :wall: With double knit, can you use the SC or DC bind off? .....

You could do any bind off you choose, but due to the double nature there was a specific way to do it in this case. I should have used a larger needle.

I was wondering if the difference in circumference of the two sides has anything to do with the cause of the wrinkles (instead of gauge)? .....
I think this is true...Like a race track is shorter on the inside. Many people do purl looser though which adds to the problem. This can create a problem with flat knitting called rowing out.

Um, I guess I'm asking if you can decrease the number of purls in your double knit while keeping the original number of knits specified in the pattern?
Ack..math. At any rate this probably wouldn't work well unless whatever you were making was never intended to be reversible. Otherwise when you reverse it the difference in stitch would be a problem. If you weren't going to reverse it and just want a warmer double fabric you could just knit on both sides and avoid the problem?... don't know about that. :think:

I'm not on Ravelry; I though I requested an invitation but cannot find a reply. (I just have too many :doh: email addresses to pick from.) I either stopped before submitting my request or I used an older email address that has become orphaned due to spam.
Try it again and this time remember the email address. :lol: And also check the spam folders.