PDA

View Full Version : Cheesecake

Mike
04-15-2009, 02:00 AM
I was just making one (bake) and was wondering what preferences were because we were raised on a no-bake so my sister and her family like that. My brother and I did more big city restaurant time when we moved away from her so we like both, or even one of those instant kinds that my sister-in-law can manage.
My nephew's wife probably only had restaurant so she likes baked. I'm guessing no-bake reminds her of instant.

I mainly make baked for the challenge. Like right now I'm going to eat the whole thing to myself (not "right now" it will take most of a week) and I really don't care if it's cracked but I'm doing all my steps to keep it from cracking.

nephnie
04-15-2009, 12:36 PM
Like right now I'm going to eat the whole thing to myself (not "right now" it will take most of a week)

:roflhard:

If I liked cheesecake at all I would totally eat the whole thing. I once made vegan german chocolate brownies and my old roommate and I finished them off in about three days.

MMario
04-15-2009, 12:45 PM
If it isn't baked it ain't cheesecake. Some of the instants and no-bakes are tasty dishes in their own right - but they ain't cheesecake.

Jan in CA
04-15-2009, 12:48 PM
BAKED! :yay: If I'm going to splurge on something as decadent as cheesecake I want it to worth it since I don't have it often. IMO instant anything like that doesn't seem like a splurge.

Mike
04-15-2009, 12:58 PM
I guess my sister is truly weird. No votes for no-bake so far.
Her reason is that the "family recipe" (which probably was on someone's can or box of something at one time) has whipped condensed milk (which is about as challenging as making a baked one not crack) and that makes it light and fluffy so you can eat more. "It's like eating a cloud."

It's not the same as the instant kits unless you don't whip the milk right.

evona
04-15-2009, 05:03 PM
I couldn't pass up a a cheesecake poll! My all time favorite dessert! My specialty for Thanksgiving is a cranberry cheesecake!! :mmm: I definitely vote for baked cheesecake.

cheley
04-15-2009, 06:06 PM
Bought!!!! Especially from "Cheesecake Factory":inlove: then you couldn't/wouldn't eat the whole entire thing:thud:

Arielluria
04-15-2009, 06:27 PM
Like right now I'm going to eat the whole thing to myself (not "right now" it will take most of a week). It wouldn't last THAT long with me! ;) Yummy............cheesecake! Excuse me while I drool all over the web site!
:teehee:

Mike
04-15-2009, 06:34 PM
Bought!!!! Especially from "Cheesecake Factory":inlove: then you couldn't/wouldn't eat the whole entire thing:thud:

Bet I could. :)

It looks like any they have that I'd be willing to pay the price for are 7", quite a bit smaller than my homemade.
Not only could I eat the whole thing on a bet I'd probably have to fight from finishing it off in a night.

I just cut into mine and I bet before I go to bet it will be at least 1/4 gone (which will only be one more piece so I'm sure it will at least be that far gone).

1/4 of the 9x13 pan for the no-back is almost a gimme if I haven't had one for a while. My sister gave me a piece almost that big for desert Sunday. I looked at it and thought we just ate, "but it's the airy stuff, I can do that".

Mike
04-15-2009, 06:36 PM
. It wouldn't last THAT long with me! ;) Yummy............cheesecake! Excuse me while I drool all over the web site!
:teehee:

I try to slow myself down or I snack all day and don't eat real food.

But the first day doesn't count because it's fresh. Same with pies.

knitasha
04-15-2009, 06:47 PM
...whipped condensed milk...makes it light and fluffy so you can eat more. "It's like eating a cloud."

I don't eat cheesecake often, but when I do I don't want to eat a cloud (that's meringue, not cheesecake). When I eat cheesecake I want it to be as thick and heavy as volcanic lava, not too sweet, and with a bit of a browned crust on top. (That means baked.) I want it to be rich as sin with real cream cheese, sour cream and fresh eggs. I want it to be smooth, not fluffy. A few strawberries on top is fine, but the main attraction is the cheesecake itself.

sgtpam
04-15-2009, 08:53 PM
I don't eat cheesecake often, but when I do I don't want to eat a cloud (that's meringue, not cheesecake). When I eat cheesecake I want it to be as thick and heavy as volcanic lava, not too sweet, and with a bit of a browned crust on top. (That means baked.) I want it to be rich as sin with real cream cheese, sour cream and fresh eggs. I want it to be smooth, not fluffy. A few strawberries on top is fine, but the main attraction is the cheesecake itself.

ABSOLUTELY....and I don't care how I get it....as long as I don't have to make it myself!! Now I have to figure out how to get a good cheesecake......fast!!
Mike.......do you deliver:teehee:

Mike
04-16-2009, 04:05 AM
ABSOLUTELY....and I don't care how I get it....as long as I don't have to make it myself!! Now I have to figure out how to get a good cheesecake......fast!!
Mike.......do you deliver:teehee:

It wouldn't last the trip. :)

It's fairly easy to come up with something that is edible.
It took this site to get me to make a baked cheesecake that looked right. My cookbook was so far off I'd be amazed if anything made one that looked right from that book. The recipe was good the technique was all wrong.
http://www.baking911.com/cakes/cheesecake101.htm

Debkcs
04-16-2009, 05:20 AM
To me, only baked cheese cakes are 'real' cheese cakes. Those light, pillow-y, jello-y things just don't make it.

Love New York deli style cheese cakes that are dense, rich, and full of fresh flavors from good eggs and fresh cream and real cream cheese.

Drat, now I'm hungry again.:)

Ronda
04-16-2009, 07:11 AM
the main attraction is the cheesecake itself.

I have to agree with that statement! I like my cheesecake best just plain - no chocolate chips in it, no topping, no nothing. I'm not saying I won't eat and enjoy the other, but it's best just plain. With a cup of coffee.

newamy
04-16-2009, 11:10 PM
Any cheese cake is good! The rich old fashioned baked version is better but I get really excited even by those quick boxed cheese cake mixes.... MMM cheese cake!

bjc1050
04-17-2009, 08:33 PM
Haven't had cheesecake in either form lately. Been thinking about it a lot though recently since digging out my old springform pan which is tin and was made in Germany. It has an insert so it can be used as a tupe pan, also. Made a coconut pound cake in it and it turned out well. The pan was in retirement for so long that it seemed to be developing a rusty smell, but cleaned up good enough. Didn't give off any rust flavor at least.
Have to put cheesecake plans on hold til after my semi-annual doctor visit in a little over a week. Don't want to gain any more weight than necessary til after that.

Was wondering if there is a recipe for coconut cheesecake? Does anyone know? Would the coconut and cream cheese compliment each other do you think?

vaknitter
04-19-2009, 09:52 AM
I voted Baked, but would believe I had never had "baked" cheesecake until I was in college ! I was raised on jello cheescake made in a 9x13 pan. It was always orange flavored. Well, I made it one night while home for break and my brothers girlfriend came over and I offered her a piece of cheesecake. The look on her face when I handed her that orange block of "cheesecake" was priceless. :roflhard: The next day she brought me a piece of cheesecake factory cake and I've never made jello cheesecake since. I love my grandmother, but orange jello, condensed milk and cream cheese in NOT cheesecake.

bjc1050
04-19-2009, 03:41 PM
Forgot to answer the poll. I like either.

BTW, apparently I'm not the only one who is thinking about coconut cheesecake. Just did a search and there are 320,000 hits, LOL. YUM! The flavors must be compatible. The 1st one is baked.
In case anyone else is interested, here are the search results:
http://www.google.com/search?q=coconut+cheesecake+recipe&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

SusanH
04-20-2009, 10:51 PM
I love a good, baked cheesecake. I like to freeze individual slices to have on hand for a rich treat. :mmm:

HollyP
04-20-2009, 11:16 PM
Susan - I've been wanting to make a cheesecake this week but with just 2 of us eating it I know it will be way too much. Our waist lines definitely don't need it!! I've never thought of freezing the slices individually. How do you do it? How long do they stay good? Thanks!

Mike
04-21-2009, 01:57 AM
Susan - I've been wanting to make a cheesecake this week but with just 2 of us eating it I know it will be way too much. Our waist lines definitely don't need it!! I've never thought of freezing the slices individually. How do you do it? How long do they stay good? Thanks!

I ate my 24oz cream cheese, 3 egg cheesecake to myself. I think you can handle it ;)

Lieuvena
04-21-2009, 10:57 AM
Well, I'll be the weird one here! I HATE baked cheesecake. I LOVE the Jello no bake ones. I rarely eat either. I don't like cream cheese, which makes liking baked cheesecake fairly difficult!

SusanH
04-21-2009, 10:12 PM

Holly, here is a website I have bookmarked that I found helpful for making cheesecakes.
http://www.dianasdesserts.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/bakingtips.cheesecakes/Cheesecakes.cfm
Near the bottom of the page it tells how to freeze a whole cheesecake. I haven't frozen a whole one, but the method is pretty much the same. Wrap the completely cooled individual slices in plastic wrap and put it in a freezer bag or a plastic storage container. It gives a month for best quality but I may have kept mine longer. Yum!

AH1OZ
04-28-2009, 01:43 PM
typically i like bake... but honestly, all cheesecake is just delicious

melmac51
04-28-2009, 01:58 PM
We have a restaurant here called "Cheesecake Bistro". It was started by the late Al Copeland,the same man who started Popeye's Fried Chicken (and, incidentally, my first boss in high school 100 million years ago). Of course, they have the usual Cajun/Creole cuisine, but they also have cheesecakes of all varieties. My favorite (and I don't indulge very often) is a slice of plain cheesecake with caramel topping and whipped cream, and a praline stuck in the top of it. It's probably a sin to even eat it, but boy, is it ever delicious! (Oops, I think I just gained 2.5 pounds thinking about it.)