PDA

View Full Version : Does any one here foster dogs?

JessicaR
04-21-2009, 02:05 AM
I need a mentor! I get my first one this weekend and I'm so nervous. Wondering if I'm doing the right thing, ect. Please tell me about your experiences, thanks!

Luvmyrottnboy
04-22-2009, 11:05 AM
Bless your heart! Thank you so much for opening your home and heart to a deserving pooch while he/she waits for a forever home.

I haven't fostered, but I have gotten to know a few fosters and the biggest "problem" is they want to keep the doggies and sometimes they do!

In all seriousness, it is your job not only to give a dog lots of TLC and a safe haven but also to watch out for any potential behavior issues and health issues. Does pooch get along well with kids and other pets? Stuff like that to help make a good match in a forever home.

Good luck! keep us posted!

vaknitter
04-22-2009, 12:07 PM
If I remember correctly don't you have 2 dogs? I would say the biggest thing to consider is if your 2 dogs will accept a 3rd and if you can walk/exercise 3 dogs. I think fostering is great - while single I used to foster small animals (rabbits, hamsters, etc) for the SPCA b/c I was renting and couldn't do dogs.
From friends that foster, I think much of the experience depends on the organization you foster for. Some allow you to determine when to take the animal to the vet and others will not let you go without pre-auth. I've heard of people having to take fosters to the emergency vet to save the dogs life and the rescue says - too bad we told you not to go without pre-auth. Some find it cheaper to euthanize than treat. It's sad but true.
We cannot foster b/c our girl is very picky about who she will accept and not accept into the house. Of course, I would never be able to turn the dog over to a new owner - I get attached too easily. I want just about every big dog I see.

Best of Luck !

JessicaR
04-23-2009, 12:12 AM
Actually, we have 3 of our own :shock: This all came about when I saw a dog that caught my eye, not actively looking, but she was so sweet! Well, she was adopted and it got me thinking maybe I should try fostering. My dogs get along great with other dogs and we have a huge fenced in yard. Worse case scenario, my friend that lives down the block could take him/her for a bit.

They want you to crate them for 8 or so hours during the day (because most adoptive families work during the day), and at night. My dogs are not crated unless both of us are out of the house. So really I'm looking at an AM feeding and let out, crate, evening out and exercise/play time, PM feeding, let out, and crate. Not too hard to handle I don't think???

JessicaR
04-25-2009, 09:30 PM
Well we picked up Chloe today and she's doing ok. The lady forgot to grab the crate, so now I'm trying to find one w/o having to pay $100 for a new one. :wall: She makes our big, chunky dog look like a puppy!

Except for a few episodes of pacing and whining, she seems like she's adjusting. She didn't come from a shelter, she came directly from the home. So this all has to be very confusing for her. Poor thing. My dogs couldn't care less really and except for being curious they've left her alone and she's been using the beds and water dishes without an incident.

JessicaR
04-25-2009, 09:39 PM
She looks so sad :(

sgtpam
04-25-2009, 10:19 PM
Oh, my gosh.......she's gorgeous. That look would just make me want to hug on her. I think she'll be much happier once she realizes she's loved. Have fun!

bambi
04-25-2009, 10:47 PM
Poor baby! She is lovely but she does look sad! Hope you can cheer her up.

Bambi

HollyP
04-26-2009, 09:09 AM
Jessica, She's beautiful! You are doing a great thing taking her in. Fosters make a huge difference in the adoptability of dogs. You might want to check your local Freecyle (http://www.freecycle.org/) for a crate. I had one that was sitting in my garage for years. I didn't even think of giving it away until I saw the local Lab rescue guy asking for big crates.
Good luck with her!!

JessicaR
04-26-2009, 01:17 PM
Yeah, I posted on Freecycle as soon as we got home, nothing yet, Unfortunately our Freecycle hasn't been that great lately. Only about 10 posts per day and the last 4 things I inquired about I never got replies on. Used to be that you couldn't keep up both giving and receiving.

Doodknitwit
04-26-2009, 10:14 PM
Well we picked up Chloe today and she's doing ok. The lady forgot to grab the crate, so now I'm trying to find one w/o having to pay $100 for a new one. :wall: She makes our big, chunky dog look like a puppy!

Except for a few episodes of pacing and whining, she seems like she's adjusting. She didn't come from a shelter, she came directly from the home. So this all has to be very confusing for her. Poor thing. My dogs couldn't care less really and except for being curious they've left her alone and she's been using the beds and water dishes without an incident.

craigslist is good place toook for crate

JessicaR
04-27-2009, 12:24 AM
It's been a trying weekend due to the fact that we've had non-stop storms and she has storm anxiety. *sigh* The sun will come out... someday...

Sunshine's Mom
04-27-2009, 09:27 AM
Oh, Jessica, she's gorgeous. Good for you to be fostering. Maybe I can talk hubby into doing that too. I hope it works out for you and her.

JessicaR
04-28-2009, 03:10 AM
*oye* I had to run out to a doctors appt today and I still haven't got a hold of a crate for her. So I put her in the bathroom, lid down and everything pushed away from the edge of the counter. When I came home, I opened the door to a doggie sauna! The floor and her bed were soaking wet, and the mirror and windows were dripping with sweat. She must of been panting the whole time. Not to mention, she did this to the door... :doh:

Luvmyrottnboy
04-28-2009, 09:11 AM
*oye* I had to run out to a doctors appt today and I still haven't got a hold of a crate for her. So I put her in the bathroom, lid down and everything pushed away from the edge of the counter. When I came home, I opened the door to a doggie sauna! The floor and her bed were soaking wet, and the mirror and windows were dripping with sweat. She must of been panting the whole time. Not to mention, she did this to the door... :doh:

Aw poor thing! Poor you too!:)

Cyrus had to wear a collar after eye surgery a couple years ago and when went in the bathroom the big ol' collar closed the door on him and he was locked in all day.

Poor doggie! I could not believe how WET the whole room was! Hot, steamy, wet and HAIRY!

Now we have matching bathroom doors!:cheering:

JessicaR
04-28-2009, 03:51 PM
Hahaha! Gotta love em! :roflhard:

Arielluria
04-28-2009, 04:15 PM
Hi, we've fostered twice and are waiting for #3! I'm so glad you're fostering, it's a wonderful thing!

Arielluria
04-28-2009, 04:18 PM
*oye* I had to run out to a doctors appt today and I still haven't got a hold of a crate for her. So I put her in the bathroom, lid down and everything pushed away from the edge of the counter. When I came home, I opened the door to a doggie sauna! The floor and her bed were soaking wet, and the mirror and windows were dripping with sweat. She must of been panting the whole time. Not to mention, she did this to the door... :doh:Poor both of you. I learned that lesson, closed doors freak them out. Best if you can to leave them in the kitchen and close off with a baby gate or whatever you can fashion. I'm sorry that happened to you, I have 2 doors that my own dogs (not fosters) have messed up.

BTW, she may have separation anxiety and is definitely just wondering if THIS is her final home. I've heard it's good to have a toy you give them ONLY when you leave and you pick up when you come home, so they actually are supposed to start looking forward to your leaving because they get that toy. Best if it's an indestructible Kong with a treat inside. Let us know how you and Chloe are doing! God bless you for fostering.

It may not be possible to crate every dog, so I think the rescue should be more flexible about that. I'll be more than glad to help answer any questions you have about fostering. I'll PM you my email address too.

Arielluria
04-30-2009, 02:39 PM
I'm waiting to see if we'll get a little girl to be our foster, probably a forever foster as she is old with health issues. I had to give a name to the groomer for an appointment so I said Ladybug. How's yours doing?

Arielluria
04-30-2009, 03:33 PM
Here's her pic from the pound. I'm in love with that face already. Hope we get her.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3306/3488808121_7bec8df36e.jpg?v=0

Arielluria
05-01-2009, 12:40 PM
Inspired by your post I checked and saw no foster parent group on Ravelry, so I created one here: http://www.ravelry.com/groups/pet-foster-parent. It's important to have a good network of people who've gone through it before, some have fostered dozens of times, and have a wealth of knowledge to share.
:waving:

JessicaR
05-03-2009, 06:36 PM
Chloe is doing well. I haven't crated her much but I did actually find a crate and the rescue is going to reimburse me for it. I chose to put her in the bathroom knowing something might happen, so I'm not too upset about it, you know?

She was due to be adopted this weekend, but that fell thru. I'm picking up a 6 month old lab puppy tomorrow fresh for being neutered. And I think the people that were interested in Chloe are going to shoot for next weekend, so I'll only have a week overlap.

I got an email that she wanted me to take a pit bull and I just froze. I am personally afraid of pit bulls and rottweilers and I told her I had to pass. I feel bad about it, but I know that I would not feel comfortable. :sad: So, that's where we are!

JessicaR
05-04-2009, 02:40 AM
If it's possible to "nest" over a new dog, I'm doing it!

Luvmyrottnboy
05-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Chloe is doing well. I haven't crated her much but I did actually find a crate and the rescue is going to reimburse me for it. I chose to put her in the bathroom knowing something might happen, so I'm not too upset about it, you know?

She was due to be adopted this weekend, but that fell thru. I'm picking up a 6 month old lab puppy tomorrow fresh for being neutered. And I think the people that were interested in Chloe are going to shoot for next weekend, so I'll only have a week overlap.

I got an email that she wanted me to take a pit bull and I just froze. I am personally afraid of pit bulls and rottweilers and I told her I had to pass. I feel bad about it, but I know that I would not feel comfortable. :sad: So, that's where we are!

It is very wise to avoid dogs you are afraid of. All dogs can pick up on fear and it wouldn't be fair to them either.

But hey! Spend a little time with my boy and you will lose your fear of Rotties in no time.

I adore Rotties and Pitties myself. I have been close to the Rottweiler breed for years and never knew a bad one...mostly because they all had responsible owners!:)

Arielluria
05-04-2009, 11:20 AM
I agree, don't do it unless you're comfortable, but one of the sweetest dogs I ever met was my SIL's pit bull. I wouldn't have one around because I have small dogs whichjust one bite from a powerful jaw like that would kill. That's great about Chloe getting adopted so soon!
:woot:

JessicaR
05-04-2009, 02:49 PM
Just coordinated it all that I'm picking up Socks the puppy and dropping off Chloe this evening. Then she will be reunited with her friend!!! :happydance: I bet they will have fun! I'm so glad they are being adopted together!

Arielluria
05-04-2009, 02:53 PM
That's awesome! Your first fostering experience was a total success :woohoo:.....door scratches notwithstanding ;) I hope you warned the adoptive parents about the possible slight anxiety disorder.
:flirt:

HollyP
05-04-2009, 03:30 PM
That's great! I agree only foster dogs you are comfortable with. Like Arielluria one of the sweetest dogs I have ever met is my DB and SIL's pit. I was really apprehensive when I met him, until he crawled into my lap and fell asleep. I now know he is the biggest chicken/ sweetheart of a dog ever created.

JessicaR
05-05-2009, 12:35 AM
This new pup is definitely going to be a challenge. He was obviously abused and neglected. He's skin and bones and has an awful rash around his neck from the rusty choke collar he was dropped off in. Plus he was just neutered, and try keeping a puppy in a new place from getting "excited." Not easy!!! He scarfed down food and water like he had never eaten before and now he's quiet in his crate. I hope it stays that way for the night. Will post with pics tomorrow.

Luvmyrottnboy
05-05-2009, 08:25 AM
This new pup is definitely going to be a challenge. He was obviously abused and neglected. He's skin and bones and has an awful rash around his neck from the rusty choke collar he was dropped off in. Plus he was just neutered, and try keeping a puppy in a new place from getting "excited." Not easy!!! He scarfed down food and water like he had never eaten before and now he's quiet in his crate. I hope it stays that way for the night. Will post with pics tomorrow.

Oh gosh I HAVE to say again...BLESS YOU!

Your first foster already has a forever home and now you have this poor little guy. You are doing such a great service.

Arielluria
05-05-2009, 10:54 AM
This new pup is definitely going to be a challenge. He was obviously abused and neglected. He's skin and bones and has an awful rash around his neck from the rusty choke collar he was dropped off in. Plus he was just neutered, and try keeping a puppy in a new place from getting "excited." Not easy!!! He scarfed down food and water like he had never eaten before and now he's quiet in his crate. I hope it stays that way for the night. Will post with pics tomorrow.I've found it helps if you keep the crate next to your bedside the first few nights and if he is scared poke your fingers through and pet him to let him know he's not alone. I've also found that abused dogs know almost INSTANTLY that they are in a new and loving environment and tend to flourish very quickly. Just keep loving him. Thanks for fostering.

JessicaR
05-05-2009, 01:10 PM
Here's is what photos I could get, he doesn't sit still! And he's a "happy pisser," he pees the second he's let out of his crate, and he will also jump up and pee on you. We've all been pissed on over here! :roflhard: He's a doll in is crate tho, so that it going to help a lot.

Arielluria
05-05-2009, 01:19 PM
Get him a belly band for that marking. Take it from a foster parent, it will keep your house clean and yourself sane!

It's called Pawty Pants on the website: http://www.pawpawpatch.net/id3.html.

I don't make any money off these, they are made by someone in a rescue I work with. I bought one and made some others for myself.

Until you do, (this is what I do when Peanut's belly bands are all dirty), you can tie a large bandana around his middle with a little towel (like a half a dishtowel, mine are about 4" x 8") inside the bandana. You might have to cut some fabric to be a large enough bandana, then fold it diagonally before inserting the cloth. You can also use a half a feminine knapking but if he's anything like Peanut he'll eat it and end up in the emergency room, so I say stick to cloth!

Luvmyrottnboy
05-05-2009, 02:40 PM
Oh he is too cute! Poor thing though, his neck is a mess.

That makes me so angry! How can people treat a poor, defenseless pup so cruelly? I believe with all my heart that anyone who can treat animals with such cruelty are only a heartbeat away from hurting a human too.

One thing to keep in mind is the cruelty is done, over and in the past. Please be very careful about babying him because he had a rotten past. He needs your leadership as much as your love:)

Gee whiz, Have I mentioned I admire you?:cheering:

Arielluria
05-05-2009, 03:17 PM
One thing to keep in mind is the cruelty is done, over and in the past. Please be very careful about babying him because he had a rotten past. He needs your leadership as much as your love:)That is wonderful advice! May I quote you on the fostering or adoption groups on Ravelry?

Luvmyrottnboy
05-05-2009, 03:35 PM
That is wonderful advice! May I quote you on the fostering or adoption groups on Ravelry?

Of course!

JessicaR
05-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Gee whiz, Have I mentioned I admire you?:cheering:

Awww :aww: But don't, I'm just hanging out with dogs. It's not much, but I like it

He responds very well to the training I learned from Bark Busters for my other dogs. He just needs someone to show him what things are acceptable and what are not.

JessicaR
05-09-2009, 10:31 PM
Socks had an adoption pending but the potential adopter backed out today. I have to say that I didn't have a good feeling about them from the start, but I'm not the one who approves the applications. However, if I had met them and truly did not feel comfortable, I do have the right to refuse the adoption.

Overall, he is being a good boy. Just a very active puppy. We make sure to get him moving in the evening. My hubby has been taking him for walks, and he's really good at fetch. Brings the ball/rope back to you to throw again, doesn't play "keep away" with it.

bailsmom
05-10-2009, 11:37 AM
You know Jessica, you are really inspiring me to become a foster parent. :hug: I do believe once we find our forever home with a million acres (okay maybe 1 acre :teehee: ) we will begin the process of becoming foster parents to the pups who need them. Is it a difficult process to become one? We have cats, is that considered a no-no?

JessicaR
05-10-2009, 12:40 PM
No, it wasn't hard at all. I mentioned it to the lady that runs the rescue and she jumped right on it, just sent me some info to read over and that was it. Plus we have 3 dogs and a cat of our own, and it's not an issue. Granted they might not get along with every pup that comes thru the door, but that hasn't been an issue so far. And we have enough room to be able to separate them if need be, and rotate who's out, ect.

Like right now my dogs can only stand about 5 minutes of the new pup until he starts to annoy them. So they are let out to potty and run, then he is let out for a bit, then mine are let in and the pup is played with alone. It keeps us busy :)

JessicaR
05-23-2009, 09:35 PM
We just picked up 2 bassets today, they seem to be getting along with everyone. And Socks is due to be adopted out on Monday!

Here are Elvis and Emma...

vaknitter
05-24-2009, 07:49 AM
:woohoo: Congrats on working with Socks and finding him a forever home !

Bailsmom - you asked about fostering...if you are more of a cat person you can always apply with your local SPCA to take kitties. I know ours is always needing people to take litters home to nurse and fatten up. I'm allergic to cats so before I had my own dogs I fostered rabbits. You'd be suprised how people can neglect bun buns as well and then one day just drop them off at the SPCA. If left outside in cages they can get fleas and ticks just like a dog. I actually fostered one that had gotten heartworm !

bailsmom
05-24-2009, 09:23 PM
Vaknitter,
Nope, I'm an equal dog/cat lover. ;) I :heart: them all. I was just wondering if foster agencies were particular with fostering out dogs to homes with cats. I never even thought of fostering cats. Something to think about in the future. Thanks!!

JessicaR
05-25-2009, 06:48 PM
Socks is movin' on up! The family that adopted him are very well off from what I could tell :) They had an SUV that could of paid our mortgage and an Eddie Bauer crate full of toys waiting for him in back. Just to think that he went from being tied up with a rusty choke chain in a run down trailer park to living on top. :happydance: for him!

Arielluria
05-26-2009, 12:52 PM
God bless you, you are turning out to be an awesome foster mom!
:muah:

And :woohoo: for socks!

momwolf
05-26-2009, 10:24 PM
You are one http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_5_104.giffamilyhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_2_108.gif

JessicaR
05-26-2009, 11:30 PM
You guys are too much! :aww:

bailsmom
05-27-2009, 07:06 PM
Socks is movin' on up! The family that adopted him are very well off from what I could tell :) They had an SUV that could of paid our mortgage and an Eddie Bauer crate full of toys waiting for him in back. Just to think that he went from being tied up with a rusty choke chain in a run down trailer park to living on top. :happydance: for him!

Do they have room for me too?? :teehee:

:cheering: for Socks!!

JessicaR
06-01-2009, 12:40 AM
Emily seems to be not doing well. She was taken to the vet on Wednesday and since she was found not to be pregnant she was spayed. I think maybe she has developed an infection :(

JessicaR
06-01-2009, 11:00 PM
Well both bassets went to the vet today. Elvis must of contracted kennel cough before he was vaxed on Wednesday, and Emily is going thru a false pregnancy. Apparently it had started before they had spayed her so now it has to go to term.

bailsmom
06-03-2009, 04:12 PM
Aw geez, that's awful! Poor Emily and Elvis. I hope they feel better soon. I'm a bit confused on the false pregnancy thing? How does that work?

JessicaR
06-03-2009, 11:45 PM
In false pregnancy their body actually thinks and acts like they are pregnant. She's been producing milk and "mothering" a rope toy and stuffed puppy I gave her. Today she was absolutely nuts, I let her out of her crate and she went had hid her "puppies." Then she crawled under our bed and cried and whined for a good 3 flipping hours! So, I really hope it's over and she goes back to normal now!

bailsmom
06-04-2009, 12:47 PM
Oh my goodness! I had no idea that could happen. Poor dear. And poor you for those 3 hours!

HollyP
06-04-2009, 01:41 PM
:hug:I hope she is better soon. I remember reading once it could last a few weeks. I certainly hope that is not the case with Emily!

JessicaR
06-04-2009, 01:57 PM
I just called the vet because I was reading up on it and they can give her a hormone shot that will help with all of it. She's become very aggressive toward my dogs and whining non-stop. So, I'm waiting to hear back, he was out of the office til later this afternoon. Otherwise I'm going to have to try and find a dog exorcist!!!