PDA

View Full Version : WIP - Knitted Lace Wedding Garter

kbagel
05-08-2009, 12:05 AM
Hi Everyone!

I've been pretty slow about knitting lately. I just moved across country to LA and am looking for a job. Together those things take 150% of my time! Thankfully, I've got a list of projects a mile long for the summer/early fall. Here is the first. It's a knitted lace garter for my best friends wedding. I'm in my third repeat and it's not too bad of a knit but it is like working with toothpicks and dental floss. I'm using size 0 needles and 30 crochet cotton..

Here is the pattern: http://www.internationaloldlacers.org/DianeWilletPOM/dianewillettPOM.html

I've seen a couple of people on Ravelry wear it flat tied with silk ribbons instead of gathered like a traditional garter. I'll post pics of the finished project...I can't wait to see what it's like blocked!

Jan in CA
05-08-2009, 01:28 AM
Oooo that's going to be gorgeous!!:inlove:

wezyus
05-08-2009, 01:29 AM
Its luks nice n sexy on the photo...gud lucks ...kip it up
.thnks

margz3
05-08-2009, 08:52 AM
That is going to be beautiful! LOL at your analogy about toothpicks and dental floss :rofl: :rofl:

kbagel
05-08-2009, 03:10 PM
That is going to be beautiful! LOL at your analogy about toothpicks and dental floss :rofl: :rofl:

It really is! My fingers feel so clumsy when I'm knitting this!

AH1OZ
05-08-2009, 03:52 PM
its going to be sexy!!!

Sknitter56
05-08-2009, 07:43 PM
You sure have a special friend. She should treasure this forever and save it for her little girl (hopefully) one day. This is something that can be passed down for generations. It's going to be beautiful!

mks22300
05-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Ooo, it's going to be beautiful!

ArtLady1981
05-08-2009, 10:48 PM
Wonderful! Wonderful! A gift of love!

Great work!

lynn893
05-08-2009, 11:09 PM
wow, not only is that gorgeous, but your tenacity in doing it on such small needles is wonderful! I can't work on anything smaller than 2mm! My fingers and hand starts cramping right away, and I get a horrible twinge for days afterwards...

hopefully the recipient realizes how special a gift this is :)

GirlChris
05-09-2009, 12:43 AM
looking good, can't wait to see the finished product.

kbagel
05-09-2009, 01:14 AM
wow, not only is that gorgeous, but your tenacity in doing it on such small needles is wonderful! I can't work on anything smaller than 2mm! My fingers and hand starts cramping right away, and I get a horrible twinge for days afterwards...

hopefully the recipient realizes how special a gift this is :)

It's really not that bad once you get used to it. I only do about 1 repeat a day or so and the wrong side is easy, just purl every stitch except the double yarn overs which is knit 1 then purl 1. You kind of get into a rhythm of knitting with such tiny needles and thread.

I can't imagine doing this all day everyday in one of the medieval/renaissance guilds though!

Simply_Renee
05-09-2009, 09:47 PM
OOO LA LA! That is going to be so pretty- much better than the el cheapo scratchy ones you can buy (that I always picture hanging on the rearview of an Iroc for some reason.)