PDA

View Full Version : Meet the 'green' monkey aka.. Mr. Dangles

iwouldratherbeknitting
05-10-2009, 05:31 AM
I 'sort of' used the Mr. Dangly pattern -- but, I did make a lot of modifications.. I knit it in the round/etc.

It is for a best friend's birthday.. we're both teachers and have always joked that trying to teach the last month of school (elementary children) is about as successful as teaching a classroom full of monkeys.. (since, most of the children seem to 'already' be on summer vacation.. once it gets warm!)

So here he is.. I took him to school and took a lot of photos of him playing on the playground and other locations. If you want to see more photos of him.. go to this posting on my blog:
http://iwouldratherbeknitting.blogspot.com/2009/04/introducing-green-monkey.html

AH1OZ
05-10-2009, 08:03 AM
i love knitting monkeys! and yours is adorable

hookedonknitting
05-10-2009, 12:37 PM
is it hard to knit monkeys?

MerigoldinWA
05-10-2009, 12:57 PM
What a fun little green monkey! I'll bet he was a big hit on the playground.

iwouldratherbeknitting
05-10-2009, 02:56 PM
No, it's not hard to knit monkeys. The pattern (Mr. Dangly- do a search on the Internet- or if you are in Ravelry.. you can do a pattern search for it there) has directions for knitting him flat.. but, I knitted him in the round- so, I'd have less seams to sew up. It only took off and on for about 5 days.. and I only worked on him at the most 3 hours a couple of nights and most of the time.. only an hour or less?

Truthfully, the sewing up... isn't as much fun as the knitting- however, when you finish him/her it is best to just suck it up and sew it together right then.. (if possible) I stayed up late to sew the little guy together.. since, I had to mail him.

Thanks for the compliments... and a few of my students wanted me to make them a monkey once they saw the green monkey ... ha ha :roflhard: At that point, I wasn't in the mood to knit another monkey for anyone!

That's what happens when you knit on a schedule and then sew the monkey up in a couple of hours.. staying up late to do so.. :roflhard: (however, that is a nice compliment from a child, right?)

knittingymnast
05-10-2009, 05:31 PM
That's so cute!

ArtLady1981
05-10-2009, 05:52 PM
Adorable! Love him to pieces!

wezyus
05-11-2009, 01:33 AM
its cute n thnks

ritaw
05-11-2009, 02:12 AM
Love , love , love your Mr Dangles:)

margz3
05-11-2009, 09:03 AM
Adorable! What better place for photos of a monkey than on a playground!

GirlChris
05-11-2009, 04:24 PM
He is so darned cute!

lexymarin
05-14-2009, 07:02 PM
That is super adorable!!! :mrgreen:

knititgood
05-15-2009, 09:46 AM
aww, i love him. I've been wanting to try that pattern for awhile now, maybe i will now.

Thanks for posting this. I'm now knitting one for my son for his first birthday(which is in 11 days)

iwouldratherbeknitting
05-17-2009, 09:28 AM
Are you knitting it in the round? I hope so-- it will go together faster!

iwouldratherbeknitting
05-17-2009, 09:30 AM
Thanks! I got an email from my friend and she loved her green monkey!

Now, I want to make another one-- but, I need to knit a couple of birthday gifts for some June birthdays first.

gotta knit
05-17-2009, 02:58 PM
Thanks! I got an email from my friend and she loved her green monkey!

Now, I want to make another one-- but, I need to knit a couple of birthday gifts for some June birthdays first.

Can you give them monkeys?
He's so cute! Not surprised your friend loves him.

iwouldratherbeknitting
05-18-2009, 12:29 PM
No, as much as I would love to give them monkeys.. (they were on the trip to Bali w/ me last year when we went to the monkey jungle and a couple of monkeys jumped up on me) but, there is no way.. since, i'm in the last 4 weeks of teaching school for this year.. that i have the time or the energy to knit 2 more monkeys! I'm also suppose to get several crates of household goods w/in this time frame. Oh boy.. that should be fun.. I'll just make a path and walk around everything until school is out.

sue in canada
05-18-2009, 01:00 PM
I just checked your blog. Your garden looks beautiful. So nice to see everything starting to bloom.