PDA

View Full Version : THE WIGGINS HAT PROJECT

Germaine
05-10-2009, 11:53 PM
:heart: Dr. Michael Wiggins, 48, of East Greenwich, Rhode Island, husband of Dr. Doreen Wiggins, recently and suddenly passed away while on vacation in Colorado with their 5 children. Dr. Doreen Wiggins is a prominent OBGYN on staff at Women & Infants Hospital in Providence, Rhode Island. http://www.projo.com/news/content/SPORTS_DOCTOR_DIES_COLO_04-10-09_7NE0E65_v17.378d202.html

As a gift to Women & Infants Hospital, in Dr. Doreen Wiggins’ name, in memory of her late husband, Dr. Michael Wiggins, The Slater Mill Community Guild Studios in Rhode Island, is sponsoring “The Wiggins Hat Project,” which includes knitted or crocheted hats for preemies and full-term babies, as introduced by a member of KNIT HAPPENS, a Rhode Island knitting group.:heart:

If any readers of this post would like to contribute one, two, three or more hats, it would be greatly appreciated!

The yarn has to be soft acrylic yarn (machine washable and dryable)and the hats, seamless preferred, cannot have pompoms (per W& I Hospital). They can be any size: Small, Medium, Large, Extra-large, preemie or full-term.

For preemie pattern links you can go to http://khappens.com/KnitforCharity.html, and to patterns on this site: http://www.knittinghelp.com/patterns/free-knitting-patterns-preemie-clothes .

The deadline is June 7, 2009. Hats can be mailed to The Wiggins Hat Project c/o Knit Happens at 986 Hartford Avenue, Johnston, RI, 02919.

This gift will surely thrill Dr. Doreen Wiggins and her children at this most tragic time while benefiting the babies at Women & Infants Hospital!

If anyone wants to contribute and/or has any questions, please reply here or email me at K1T2@Khppens.com.

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME AND GENEROSITY! :hug:

ritaw
05-11-2009, 02:16 AM
I can make one or two and then post them off in time for the deadline . :)

Germaine
05-11-2009, 08:22 AM
That's great! Thank you!

gmmarton
05-11-2009, 08:26 AM
I can make some too, but they will have a seam. Let me know if that doesn't work before I start the hats.

Thanks!

gmm
CT

Germaine
05-11-2009, 08:29 AM
That's fine! Thank you!

sgtpam
05-17-2009, 11:13 AM
I have one done I can send...I'll wait to see if I can get at least one more

Germaine
05-25-2009, 08:40 AM
That's great, Pam! Thank you!

ritaw
05-28-2009, 02:07 PM
Hi ,

I have made 4 little hats and they were posted on Friday . Hopefully they will get there well before the deadline .

Germaine
05-29-2009, 01:18 AM
That's fabulous, Rita! I can't wait to see them and pack them in our special presentation box! I will let you know when I receive them.

Germaine
05-29-2009, 01:32 AM
Just wondering...have you sent your hats yet, gmmarton and sgtpam?

Germaine
06-03-2009, 01:31 AM
Hi, Rita, FYI, I haven't received them yet (6/2). Still time, though, delivery is not until next week.

Germaine
06-04-2009, 09:07 PM
FYI, All…Today I received another 22 hats from a woman in New Bedford, Massachusetts, who is a patient of Dr. Wiggins. With yesterday’s 12, that brings the total to 200 hats! We will be adding the additional 34 to our four special boxes at Tuesday’s gathering. If anyone else wants to contibute, we have a fifth box available!

Also, Denise had an excellent idea: a special hat for Jade, who is Doreen and Mike’s 2-year old daughter! The hat will also serve as a momento for Doreen of The Wiggins Hat Project. Denise is knitting a white cotton rolled-brim hat, and Diane and I are knitting brightly colored rosebuds and green leaves to be sewn to the hat’s brim like a wreath. The pattern is from the Itty Bitty Hats book. Too cute!! The yarn was purchased at The Yarn Outlet where Sunni and Anne work. The flowers will be sewn Tuesday evening, and that should complete the gift. Oh, boy, Denise knows I work best under pressure!

Won't be seeing Dr. Wiggins for a couple of weeks, I think, so we will be accepting donations until then! Let's try for 250 hats!

sgtpam
06-04-2009, 11:48 PM
Sorry! I've been out of town and not easily "connected" for a bit. I'm still out of town, but my sister has the hat I finished and is going to mail it tomorrow for me.

Germaine
06-05-2009, 11:22 PM
Great! Can't wait to see it! I'll let you know when it arrives.

gmmarton
06-06-2009, 03:51 AM
Sorry. I just didn't get anything posted in time. I've been very busy with other charity knitting projects.

If the deadline gets extended, please let me know and I will work something up this weekend and post next week.

Thanks!

Germaine
06-06-2009, 10:58 AM
Yes, the deadline is extended to June 14th. Our goal is 250, and we've received 216 so far! So, with your help and some contributions from others, I'm confident we will have a whopping 250!

See http://www.angelpondcottage.blogspot.com/

Germaine
06-08-2009, 12:11 PM
Hi, Pam. I receive your adorable, very well-made hat today! What pattern did you use? It's great! Thank you so much! And, thank your sister for mailing it out!

sgtpam
06-13-2009, 12:00 PM
Hi, Pam. I receive your adorable, very well-made hat today! What pattern did you use? It's great! Thank you so much! And, thank your sister for mailing it out!

So glad you got it ok.:happydance:

Super easy and very quick pattern...I used the small, blue, Knifty Knitter, loom and just the basic knit stitch. :cool:

Since you extended the deadine, I have a blue/brown one just like it that I could mail Monday; and maybe a few more since I'm finally home and off for the weekend.:woot:

Germaine
06-14-2009, 02:18 PM
That's awesome. Thanks so much. I'll be delivering them the end of this week.

ritaw
06-14-2009, 02:55 PM
I hope thay get there soon . Normally takess up to 14 days to get to the US when i send stuff . I hope it has not gone astray :(

I have to say that you have got a good amount of hats . I h hope you hit target :)

sgtpam
06-15-2009, 06:54 PM
I finished a few more this weekend and was able to make you a few extra today. There's 5 or 6 of them in the envelope.:woot:

Both of the Dr Wiggins' must be very caring, loving doctors for your group to have taken on this project. Thanks for letting us know of this opportunity.

Your knitting group rocks:notworthy: