PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble knitting with Lion brand Homespun..

TooCircular
05-13-2009, 05:29 PM
I just can't get used to how Lion brand Homespun feels in my hands when I knit. The yarn is so nubby and knotty that it's hard to make the stitches. Am I the only one having trouble? I even switched to crochet but I'm still having trouble. Have to make a bunch of squares with this yarn for a charity baby blanket. Yikes, it's driving me nuts!

Thanks for your advice/help,

Jan

rosefields
05-13-2009, 05:34 PM
ummm, NO! you are not the only person who has problems with Lion Brand Homespun:ick:
If you have the time and energy...do a search..

personally, I find it a lot easier to crochet with, if I had to use if for something..

sorifes
05-13-2009, 05:43 PM
I hear home spun sucks.I have some but I haven't actually done anything with it. However I believe that homespun is made for bigger needles because it acts stupid on smaller ones. Try size 11 or so and up might help

linknit41
05-13-2009, 06:41 PM
yeah, bigger needles, at least a size 10 should work ok. it does take some getting used to as it is so loosely spun and that little thread around it can be troublesome. but i love the way finished objects are so *cushy*--have made 3 afghans from it for daughter and grandkids and they snuggle under them quite happily. linknit41

jheatherley
05-13-2009, 06:48 PM
I hate the stuff, and would never buy it again at any price.

newamy
05-13-2009, 07:37 PM
It's awful to work with. People always fall for the colors but doesn't show stitches well, it splits, it's difficult to use.

knitasha
05-13-2009, 07:57 PM
Such pretty colors.
Such nasty yarn.
Such a pity.

sgtpam
05-13-2009, 08:02 PM
I think linknit41 and I are in the minority. I also love the end product and don't have any real trouble knitting with it. I made two small baby blankets with it and it washed up nice, too.
:knitting:
It does tend to split and I had a harder time with it when I was using fairly "dull" needles. I just got my options and that made a world of difference. I pretty much have only done garter stitch with it.

I just made 3 little purses with it and they're adorable; 2 with size 8 or 9 and one with size 4 needles. I think that the sharper, pointier needle made a big difference and is much better with this yarn. :think:

Jan in CA
05-13-2009, 08:08 PM
It has beautiful colors and is nice and soft, but it's a pain to knit with. I tried it once and would never use it again. Besides being a pain to knit with I'm not a huge fan of any yarn that hides my stitches. Knit stitches are pretty small and it takes a long time so I want my beautiful stitches to show so I stick to smoother yarn!

suzeeq
05-13-2009, 08:37 PM
I find it knits better if you use size 11s and keep a loose tension in your hands.

Ingrid
05-13-2009, 08:39 PM
I call it Homeshun. :teehee:

I've even stopped people in Michael's who were trying to buy it. One did and said that she loved it, one didn't buy it--at least while I was lurking.

There are so many, many better yarns out there. . .

suzeeq
05-13-2009, 08:41 PM
It isn't all that bad; you just have to know how to handle it. Loosely....

yiayiabryant
05-13-2009, 09:27 PM
I use it for Prayer Shawls on #13 bamboo needles with loose tension. It does knit up soft and fluffy and since the prayer shawl pattern is knit 3 purl 3 I don't worry about the stitches showing. Everyone that has recieved one of the shawls has loved the soft warm hug.:heart:

lynnruth
05-13-2009, 09:40 PM
I always use Lion Brand Homespun yarn when making prayer shawls for our church knitting group -- all the knitters in the group do. The feel of it did take a little getting used to -- the lumps and bumps - but it makes a very soft, light weight, warm shawl and the selection of colors is wonderful. We use size 13 needle and that seems to work well. However, on more than one occasion we have come across areas of the yarn where the little string has broken and the yarn just splays apart -- have to cut that area of yarn out and retie on the skein -- a Lion Brand quality control problem! The folks who crochet in our group can't stand the yarn and won't use it. So - pros and cons for homespun.

imrachel
05-13-2009, 09:45 PM
I think it only works for people with a loose tension-- of which I am one. But my complaint about it is that the finished product tends to stretch a great deal, vertically. But I do like the softness and the colors and the way it knits up.

TooCircular
05-13-2009, 11:27 PM
Wow you guys, thanks for all the responses! Ingrid~~ "homeshun" is hilarious. I'll try bigger needles and will loosen up the tension, but I know in my heart of hearts that I'm going to be struggling. We were all so impressed when one of the gals in my knitting group purchased 7 skeins for .99 cents apiece at Michael's. We each got a skein so we coud begin baby blanket squares. She said that we were going to LOVE the yarn (she's used it before.) My only hope is that the other ladies are strugging with it too. Actually, I'm PRAYING that they're struggling. I'm envisioning a huge bonfire with each of us tossing in a skein, then laughing wildly and, what the heck, howling and dancing too. Would roast marshmallows, but, darn those plasticky fumes.

Anyways, it's great that some have had success with it, but it is also good to know that I wasn't the only one having difficulty. I honestly will try with those suggestions.

Thanks again everyone! :)

Jan

slytherati
05-14-2009, 07:55 AM
This is the yarn that I tried to learn how to knit on. No wonder I gave up my first project!

Sunshine's Mom
05-14-2009, 09:04 AM
I'll agree that it is a pain to knit with, but I made the Six Hour Throw with it (I think it used 4 strands together) on size 50 needles and gave it to my friend. Her whole family now fights over who gets to cuddle up with it. That's praise enough for me to make another. But, I will invest in size 50 circulars before I do.

luvmykid28
05-14-2009, 11:47 AM
I'll agree that it is a pain to knit with, but I made the Six Hour Throw with it (I think it used 4 strands together) on size 50 needles and gave it to my friend. Her whole family now fights over who gets to cuddle up with it. That's praise enough for me to make another. But, I will invest in size 50 circulars before I do.

I've made the 6 Hour Throw, too. In fact, when I 1st started knitting, I bought a ton of Homespun. I was duped by the colors and softness. Hate is such a strong word, but I hated it until I found the 6 hour trow pattern. I made 1 for my daughter and we all fight over it while watching TV. I actually have enough of this stuff to make 3 more throws (remember that's 4 stands held together and each throw uses 8 skeins = 24 skeins, that I kept). I even gave away at least 8 skeins of it. I'm in the middle of my 2nd throw. The crazy thing is, that know I think about other colors I can use to make more throws (that is after I use up all that I have.):zombie: They will make great gifts and they really are pretty quick to knit up.

BTW, I highly recommend the Lion brand size 50 needles. I tried Boye and don't like them as much.

TooCircular
05-14-2009, 12:53 PM
I've never used Size 50 knitting needles. But, YIKES they look big!!
Also googled the 6-hour throw pattern:

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/60536.html

I don't know if I'll get brave enough to try it with "Homeshun". ~Maybe with different yarn. Ha

Jan

TooCircular
05-14-2009, 02:44 PM
Quick question. I'm curious about the size 50's. Would you need a circular needle (if they even make them in that size!) to make a throw or afghan? I found this link for the straights:

http://www.lionbrand.com/6030/PictPage/1922238557.html

Thanks for your help,

Jan

suzeeq
05-14-2009, 02:48 PM
It would be much easier on a circ, and I think they are made that size.

luvmykid28
05-14-2009, 06:38 PM
Quick question. I'm curious about the size 50's. Would you need a circular needle (if they even make them in that size!) to make a throw or afghan? I found this link for the straights:

http://www.lionbrand.com/6030/PictPage/1922238557.html

Thanks for your help,

Jan

IDon't know if they are made in circs. But you CO 35 and they fit exactly on the needles. That's 1 reason I prefer Lion brand 50s, the are just a bit longer that Boye, they feel better in my hands, too.

bambi
05-14-2009, 10:23 PM
I am with the minority. I hate to knit with Homespun but it does turn out some nice finished projects. My first FO was a poncho in it and my dad wanted a chullo. I had the pattern in Homespun and couldn't figure out an adequate sub so I just bit the bullet and did FAIR ISLE with it! Whew! Was that ever tough but my dad loves his chullo!

I actually don't like knitting with that boucle kind of yarn that is wrapped with the tiny string in the middle like Homespun or Bernat Bamboo.

I hate to admit it but I just bought two more skeins for a shawl that I am going to make as a prayer shawl for my neighbor who just lost her husband last week.

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/60301.html?noImages=

Bambi

biztec
05-15-2009, 06:34 PM
I used it a lot in the Prayer Shawl Ministry. I crocheted mine on bigger needles and it turned out nice--also washed up nice. I haven't ever tried it for anything else, but can imagine it would be difficult.

TooCircular
05-15-2009, 10:42 PM
What a cool thing.. prayer shawls. I googled it b/c I wasn't sure what they were all about.
Such a thoughtful gift!

Jan

knittingymnast
05-16-2009, 05:52 PM
ummm, NO! you are not the only person who has problems with Lion Brand Homespun:ick:
If you have the time and energy...do a search..

personally, I find it a lot easier to crochet with, if I had to use if for something..

For me, it's terrible! :ick: I totally agree with you, rosefields! However, crocheting was no easier.

suzeeq
05-16-2009, 06:06 PM
Big needles/hooks, loose tension.

TooCircular
05-16-2009, 07:07 PM
Big needles/hooks, loose tension.

I finally got around to trying it with the bigger needles/loose tension and was so surprised to discover that it did make a difference. I'm thinking though, two or more strands held together would be better with the bigger needles b/c the work looked a little, well, holey. Maybe we should upgrade it to "Homestunned"! ... Nah.

Jan

sgtpam
05-16-2009, 07:32 PM
I've never used Size 50 knitting needles. But, YIKES they look big!!
Also googled the 6-hour throw pattern:

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/60536.html

Jan

After looking at the 6-hour afghan pattern, I had to see if I liked the look with the speed stix...but, the largest I have is 35s. So, I took 2 strands (different colors) of my Homespun, cast on a dozen stitches and made a little swatch. Wow...really soft...it'll make a great cuddle. :hug:

It's pretty "holey" with the 35s, I think the size 50s would be bigger than I'd like. But, I may just make it on the 35s; maybe with 3 or 4 strands, though. That should make them less "holey"...right?:??

suzeeq
05-16-2009, 07:39 PM
I think with the 50s, you are supposed to use 3 or 4 strands. But you can try 3 with the 35s; I don't mind a looser tension, so I'd probably just do 2.

ArtLady1981
05-17-2009, 08:27 PM
Something I ran into with this yarn: because it is curly when it comes out of the skein, and you are kinda 'knitting in' the curls, when a person wears a sweater made withit, the curls fall out (due to body heat and moisture), and the sweater stretches southward. Waaaay south. Like a size 10 becomes a size 24.

And, with time and use, it pills a lot.

But, it is a beautiful yarn, and wonderful to feel!

JudiToots
05-19-2009, 03:20 PM
I have made a (crocheted) hat and a (knitted) scarf with the Homespun yarn. For the hat, I used a size N (9mm) hook and size 17 knitting needles for the scarf. I used 2 strands for the scarf. They both turned out beautiful!

Crycket
05-22-2009, 07:12 PM
Every one has said it...but I thought I would say it too....it does suck...and I agree....the colours are really pretty...but I hated knitting with it...

Loose tension is a must...cause you just get little bunches along the whole project as you knit...and sewing things up...gah...what a pain the butt....

Yeah...who ever it was that said "I would never buy this, even on sale..." I concurr completely!

Kinnexa
05-29-2009, 02:23 AM
I knit a hat in Homespun on 10.5 circs, and I do like the look in plain stockinette. What bothered me was all the bunching around the center string! I still have three skeins of the stuff, and I'm going to try a simple shawl pattern I found on the LB website...with *much* bigger needles!

linknit41
06-03-2009, 07:14 PM
the items (afghans) I've made with Homespun yarn are mostly garter stitch, tho one was stockinette. It makes for kinda slow progress, but i'm a slow knitter anyway, i love the process of making stitch after stitch etc, so don't mind having to slow down -- plus the colors are reallly pretty! right now, it is so warm here in south Texas, i am making small projects,-- on needles now, a water bottle carrier. i made one before, but my dear granddaughter decided it should hold HER water bottle, not mine. then made another for her mom, and now am trying another for myself, just from acrylic leftovers.they are fun to make and useful also.linknit41

linknit41
06-03-2009, 07:17 PM
some knitting friends of mine collaborated on a prayer shawl for me (of white Homespun) when my husband was having surgery. it's like a warm hug from them.linknit41

Arielluria
06-04-2009, 09:24 AM
Does take a little getting used to. I'm using it for the 3rd time and my biggest problem was not getting the right needle cleanly through the loop, so I find that a looser tension helps with that.

It's a very warm and snuggly yarn though. Hope you stick with it.

Arielluria
06-04-2009, 09:27 AM
Every one has said it...but I thought I would say it too....it does suck...and I agree....the colours are really pretty...but I hated knitting with it...

Loose tension is a must...cause you just get little bunches along the whole project as you knit...and sewing things up...gah...what a pain the butt....

Yeah...who ever it was that said "I would never buy this, even on sale..." I concurr completely!After my first project I would have agreed. I definitely don't love it and am only using it because DH got it for me, he likes to bring me home yarn but hasn't quite gotten the hang of what I like ;)..........but when I made my mom's Comfort Vest (in Rav projects page) and saw how warm and snuggly it was and how much she loved it, I changed my mind about it. Now am making a warm and snuggly garter stitch shawl.