View Full Version : Sweater Terminology

05-14-2009, 01:59 PM
Ok I understand that there are different kind of sweaters out there and have learned that a raglan sweater is one in which the sleeves start right out at the collar, creating a diagonal line from the armpit to the collar.
So what is the "normal" kind that has the sleeves just attached to the side of the body, like most sweat shirts or t-shirts are constructed, called?? Does anyone know of a basic free pattern for one of these?
And while we are on the topic what other kind of sweaters are there I cant really imaging that many different ways to attach sleeves to a body. Does anyone have a preference between the selection, comfort wise?

05-14-2009, 02:32 PM
I've heard normal sleeves called "inset sleeves" (don't ask me why). Most if not all of the sweaters I've made have this kind of sleeve - but I've chosen the pattern mostly because I liked the rest of it, not because of the sleeve style.

Here's a basic free pattern for a sweater with normal sleeves: http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/katelyn/katelyn_basic.html

05-14-2009, 02:43 PM
These are called set-in sleeves.