PDA

View Full Version : Amazing yarn find!

purplravioli
05-15-2009, 10:46 PM
So I work at the local Goodwill during the summer when I'm not off at college, and yesterday the most amazing thing happened.

Apparently a woman donated a bunch of her old yarn because she stopped knitting.

The result? Almost 50 skeins of yarn up for grabs.
And how much did they cost? 49 cents a skein!

BUT, at Goodwill we get $30 in gift certificates that are valid at any Goodwill store, and I happened to have some with me yesterday when the yarn came out. So I got all this yarn (see photo below) for free! :woot:

It's a lot of acrylics, but some 100% wool and wool/mohair blends, and I think the blue yarn may be handspun (either that or she just lost all the labels for it). Either way, I can't believe I got all of this beautiful vintage yarn for free.

I've never heard of most of these yarns because I don't think they make them anymore, but have you guys heard of any of them?

From left to right in the photo:
Top Row: Monique by Columbia-Minerva (light blue), some red yarn that looks like it could be a microfiber sport yarn, Melrose Orlon Sayelle Baby Fingering (yellow)

Middle Row: The blue yarn that I think could be handspun, Lochwind Quick-Knit Sayelle (red), Roly-Poly by Unger (bright pink), Darling by Unger (fuschia-ish)

Bottom Row: Glengary Shetland by Ulltex (green), Lochwind Quick-Knit (white), Lochwind Quick-Knit (white), Lochwind Quick-Knit (navy)

Vertigo1414
05-15-2009, 11:37 PM
:drool: i'm drooling...

Plantgoddess+
05-16-2009, 08:53 AM
Good find. I've found the occasional score at unexpected times and it feels so great.

knittingymnast
05-16-2009, 11:04 AM
Dang. That is amazing!

purplravioli
05-18-2009, 04:39 PM
Yeah, there's nothing like almost doubling your stash with another 40something skeins of yarn. hahaha