PDA

View Full Version : No one has a favorite sock k. book?

Puddinpop
05-16-2009, 06:13 AM
Please people. I have some extra money and ready to buy a sock book. Doesn't anyone have a favorite sock knitting book out there that they could recommend?

KnittingNat
05-16-2009, 06:30 AM
If I had some extra money right now, i'd go and get Cookie A.'s new book "Sock innovation" in a heartbeat. Check out the patterns on Ravelry, she's got such an unusual way of putting together a stitch pattern and a sock!

Mirl56
05-16-2009, 08:09 AM
You probably didn't get any responses to your other post because it's hard to say what the 'best' sock book is.

Have you already made socks so you understand the basics? If not, I'd recommend a website first - Silver's tutorials. http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/

There are books that teach the different methods (dbl pt needles, magic loop, 2 circs), but there are websites w/tuts that teach them, too. Then there are top down or toe up. then there are different heel types.

Charlene Schurch's books, Sensational Knitted Socks and More Sensational Knitted Socks are both good books - lots of different stitch patterns, and top down and toe ups.

The sock book I'm after next is Wendy Johnsons Socks from the Toe Up. I've already bought Cookie A's book and Cat borhdi's latest, New Pathways.

knitgal
05-16-2009, 08:39 AM
Yes, it's hard to describe the "best" sock book because everyone likes different patterns and everyone has different skill levels. The books that Mirl56 and KnittingNat recommended are amazing, but maybe you should just head over to the bookstore and take a look through them all? Or go on Ravelry and look at the patterns and the comments about them there?

Mirl56
05-16-2009, 08:57 AM
Another good place to look where you can see the inside pictures of the projects in the book is www.knitpicks.com. Plus, they often have 40% off sales on their book prices.

When possible, I try to check books out from my local library first. They have a website, you can search for knitting books from any library in the state, then reserve them and go pick them up a few days later. Way Cool!

knititgood
05-16-2009, 09:19 AM
A few of my favorite is Sensational Knitted Socks and More Sensational Knitted Socks.

Koehnae
05-16-2009, 09:25 AM
My current favorite book is Cookie A's Sock Innovation. I just love watching the patterns unfold as I knit them. My favorite socks have all been Cookie A creations.

MAmaDawn
05-16-2009, 09:34 AM
I also like Sensation Knitted Sock. I like that I can use my gauge not have to try to get a different one.

Puddinpop
05-16-2009, 09:51 AM
I was reading about these on Amazon. Thanks, I might try one of these.

Puddinpop
05-16-2009, 09:53 AM
I didn't know Knitpicks has 40% off. Thanks.

Puddinpop
05-16-2009, 09:55 AM
knitgal, I have looked at the bookstore but, they don't say if there is a lot of errors in the books. I'm a little concerned because, I would just think I was knitting them wrong, if there is errors.

Puddinpop
05-16-2009, 09:58 AM
You guys rock. I am going to look these up right now. I've made a couple of socks but, I would like to have a good book with some patterns, also.:hug:

knittingymnast
05-16-2009, 11:18 AM
If I had some extra money right now, i'd go and get Cookie A.'s new book "Sock innovation" in a heartbeat. Check out the patterns on Ravelry, she's got such an unusual way of putting together a stitch pattern and a sock!

Oh I would too. I love Cookie A's patterns. :inlove:

Jan in CA
05-16-2009, 02:34 PM
I deleted the other sock book thread you started since it was a duplicate of this one.

klsherron
05-16-2009, 08:29 PM
I have a couple of sock books I like, but my favorite is the newest one which I just recently bought, "Sock Innovation" by Cookie A. It's published by Interweave Press, but I purchased it on Amazon for a lower price.

abby001
05-16-2009, 11:15 PM
I love Sock Innovations for the fact that Cookie A. tells us how to make our own designs as well as includes patterns. I've ordered Wendy's newest book, Socks from the Toe Up, from Knit Picks so I can't comment on it yet.

I know most of the Sock Innovations patterns are lace patterns and I've read that Wendy's are mostly lace too, which bums me a little as I don't care for seeing skin through socks. I must be in the minority on this though as these gals are hot stuff in the sock knitting world. Well, with Cookie's design instructions and the various toe and heel techniques in Wendy's book I should be able to make my own hole-less socks!

I have More Sensational Socks and I have a question for those who recommend it. Is there a trick to using it? I've knit LOTS of socks--easily over 100 pair in the last 4 years--but I find the directions in this book extremely difficult to follow. I'm hoping someone has a tip to share for how to make this work. Maybe I didn't give it a fair try as I was frustrated with it and gave up.

Puddinpop
05-17-2009, 09:14 AM
Someone said on Amazon reviews that it is written for different needles and the best thing to do is photocopy what you will use and your information. I bought Sensational Socks and have put Sock Innovations and New Pathways in my Wish List. I'm excited.

Lisa R.
05-17-2009, 10:54 PM
I have More Sensational Socks and I have a question for those who recommend it. Is there a trick to using it? I've knit LOTS of socks--easily over 100 pair in the last 4 years--but I find the directions in this book extremely difficult to follow. I'm hoping someone has a tip to share for how to make this work. Maybe I didn't give it a fair try as I was frustrated with it and gave up.

I have Sensational Knitted Socks (the first one), and it was my first sock book. I can see how it's confusing, but it helps if you realize the whole thing is written three ways---for 4 dpns, 5 dpns, and 2 circs. You read the directions that apply to all three *especially including* the little sentences between the "tables" with the three sets of directions! Then you just follow on the directions that apply to your method.

I made a copy of the instructions and highlighted the parts that applied to me!

Oh...and you choose your own pattern (the 4-st patterns, 5-st patterns and so on. Flip over a page or so after the main instructions for the patter instructions, and then do that part where it says to "begin pattern."

That seems clear as mud...ask again if I can help clarify for you.