PDA

View Full Version : **Frustrated**

Simone
05-20-2009, 08:40 AM
After frogging my square three times yesterday, I'm glaring menacingly at my yarn and willing it to help me get past 8 rows today!! lol

Sorry, it's my first time doing cables, trying to do the GAAA and I'm venting..*sigh*

Have a great Wednesday :)

cindycactus
05-20-2009, 08:59 AM
Take a deep breath, calm down and try again. You can do it!! :thumbsup: Cables are just twisted stitches. :roflhard:

margz3
05-20-2009, 09:02 AM
I think I understand your frustration! I have done cables before without an issue and I got the GAAA book for Christmas, but just LOOKING through it is daunting to me! I know I should just dive in and do it, but I have a feeling I'll be :frog: :frog: right along with ya! I think this is a project to take to knit night at my LYS - moral support!!!

Simone
05-20-2009, 09:15 AM
I know exactly what you both mean. I try to keep an even head about myself, do my ridges and I either forget to k3 before and after a cable started row or I end up taking the wrong stitch off of the cn. I'm starting with what is supposedly the easier of the squares....Maybe I should be doing this in a soundproof and padded room...LOL

cindycactus
05-20-2009, 11:17 AM
Have you tried placing markers before and after the three stitches you keep forgetting. I used markers often when I was doing cables. Maybe that would help you get through each row. At least until you get some cables made then you can see where you are. Hope that helps.

Simone
05-20-2009, 11:38 AM
That's a good idea. I don't have stitch markers though. I might just have to make a big note in the directions 'DON'T FORGET K3 AT BEGINNING AND END OF ROW'...lol

dustinac
05-20-2009, 11:42 AM
You could use scrap yarn for sm :thumbsup:

I'm working on the GAAA too what block are you working on?

Simone
05-20-2009, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the suggestion!

hookedonknitting
05-20-2009, 01:01 PM
safety pins work great for place markers too!

Simone
05-20-2009, 01:18 PM
Are those what you like to use? Are they convenient, fast and easy? Or can they hold you up?

suzeeq
05-20-2009, 01:46 PM
Jumbo paperclips work too.

cindycactus
05-20-2009, 01:59 PM
Anything thin and round and will fit you needle loosely so you can slide them from one needle to the next. Knit Picks has a bag of different sizes for sale. I have used scrap yarn too. Whatever works.

hookedonknitting
05-20-2009, 07:29 PM
yeah they work well! I am to "thrifty" to buy place markers!

OffJumpsJack
05-21-2009, 09:45 AM
You could use scrap yarn for sm :thumbsup:

I'm working on the GAAA too what block are you working on?

I've read about and seen earrings used as stitch markers. Some designers have made glass bead stitch markers that look to me just like dangle earrings complete with that open R shaped earring hook (or is it called a loop?). :eyebrow2:

:think:
Would a three bead dangle, hanging to the front (or back) be a good reminder that the next three stitches should be held to the front (or back when appropriate) while working the following set of stitches for a cable crossover?

I really should try :guyknitting: something with a cable pattern. :oops:

suzeeq
05-21-2009, 10:33 AM
with that open R shaped earring hook (or is it called a loop?)

It's calle a fishook type wire, and sometimes French hook.

I don't care for these; they're pretty, but don't look like they'd stay on well. I use the small plastic rings, sometimes another piece of yarn or a paperclip, depending on where I am and what's handy.

cacunn
05-21-2009, 10:44 AM
I picked up some 8mm rings at Micheal's and loop them together as stitch markers. Normally with some type of dangle at one end. If I am doing cables and repeat every 5 rows, I pull out a marker with 5 rings on it. Each time around I move down another ring until I reach the bottom. Once, I have hit bottom, you know out of yarn, LYS closed, its Saturday night and they don't open until Tuesday, oops I mean the last ring I know it is time to do a cable stitch.

OffJumpsJack
05-21-2009, 03:40 PM
It's calle a fishook type wire, and sometimes French hook.

I don't care for these; they're pretty, but don't look like they'd stay on well. I use the small plastic rings, sometimes another piece of yarn or a paperclip, depending on where I am and what's handy.

Ah, I see what you mean.

For crochet, however, I think the fishhook or french hook would be better than a loop. But that's for another thread.

I would also think chains of loops or ornate charm dangles would have a snag potential.

Alas, I only have flat plastic e shaped ring markers. I find the tails can snag and their size can be bulky on smaller needles. (Here is a site with a good image (http://www.creativemomcafe.com/stitch-markers/) of the kind I have)

Simone
05-21-2009, 04:11 PM
A big thanks to all of you for your suggestions. That's what inspired me to make these for myself :)

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u45/sketto/markers1.jpg

shifio
05-21-2009, 04:29 PM
sometimes it helps if you have frogged it a few times to leave a day and try again, usually works first time then

lulubell
05-21-2009, 06:42 PM
Two Ringbinder hole reinforcer thingees stuck together work well for stitch markers in an emergancy if the needles are not too big.