PDA

View Full Version : What's up with that?!

JudiToots
05-20-2009, 01:12 PM
I'm still a fairly new knitter. I've really seen improvement in my skills since watching Amy's videos. But I have one thing that seem to continue to plague me...

After casting on, I will do a row of knitting. It looks great until I pull off the last stitch. I always get an oversized loop (see my image). What is up with that?

Jan in CA
05-20-2009, 01:20 PM
It looks great until I pull off the last stitch. I always get an oversized loop (see my image). What is up with that?

Ignore it and and keep going. That's normal and after a few rows it usually disappears. :thumbsup:

JudiToots
05-20-2009, 01:23 PM
It always seems to leave the loop on the edge which looks sloppy. I will have to try it tonight. I'm at work now and can't knit. :-(

Thanks Jan!

Jan in CA
05-20-2009, 01:49 PM
How are you casting on? That could make a difference. You could also slip the first stitch wyif (with yarn in front) and knit the last stitch. That sometimes helps. If you do this for every row you get a nice chained edge.

It's a common question for new knitters.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91343&highlight=loose+loop
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90662&highlight=loose+loop

JudiToots
05-20-2009, 01:58 PM
I am using the long tail cast on method (per Amy's video). I have pictures of this same method in a book that my husband bought for me and it made my head spin. I watched Amy's video and then it was "Oh, well that's easy enough!" :happydance:

I read the forum thread that you included. I will try some of those tactics to see if they help.

Cute side note about this project: I am making this scarf for my youngest son (9). I have been practicing with other yarn just to get the gauge right and to see how the pattern should really look. Last night he said, "Mom, why aren't you working with my yarn? It's so beautiful and I have been waiting a long time for my scarf." I just looked at him and said, "Honey, we're heading into summer. When are you going to wear the scarf?!"

Children are such a delight!

suzeeq
05-20-2009, 02:02 PM
If you use a slipknot to start the LT cast on, make sure the loose end (the one that will slip) is the thumb yarn. If it's the other yarn, when you knit across the cast on, it may move the slight slack in the yarn along to the first st which will be the end st of the new row.

Simply_Renee
05-20-2009, 06:48 PM
I'm with SuzeeQ- after a few rows everything will seem to tighten up on the edges.