PDA

View Full Version : Argh!

Knitting_Guy
05-21-2009, 11:34 AM
Last night I was working on a sleeve of the turtleneck I've been working on and the stupid cable pulled out of the end of the needle on my 16" size 10 Options. Naturally a bunch of stitches got dropped. Argh!

Nothing to do but switch over to a long cable and magic loop, but having to pick up and fix all of those stitches was a real pain. I would have had to switch to ML soon anyway, but still...

This is the one fault I have with the Options, it's not the first time I've had a cable pull out like that. I now have three or four cables, and one 16" needle that need to be replaced. Guess it's time to call KP again.

I hope they find a way to solve this problem soon as it's very annoying.

Lighting57
05-21-2009, 11:46 AM
I try to remember to check the join and whether or not they are tight while using them, but I sometimes forget. I have had three cables to come out of their metal ends also. Mine happened though after multiple hours of use on multiple projects.. Since it has been over a year since I bought them, I didn't think it fair to call and ask for replacements. Instead I was able to fix them with super glue. I placed the glue on a toothpick and using it I appied the glue to the hole and then slipped the cable back into its' place. So far they have held. But I'm thinking that I might buy fixed cable needles in the two sixes and lengths that I use the most.

I understand your pain. Knit on though.

Jan in CA
05-21-2009, 11:50 AM
I've had my needles for quite a while now and had it only happen once. My DH used some sort of glue (epoxy?) to fix it and it's been fine since. You might try that and tell KP. If it works you get an extra set then.

OffJumpsJack
05-21-2009, 12:58 PM
I've had my needles for quite a while now and had it only happen once. My DH used some sort of glue (epoxy?) to fix it and it's been fine since. You might try that and tell KP. If it works you get an extra set then.

If Mason does glue them and they are a durable fix, maybe he should suggest KP add this phrase?

"Truck driver tested and approved."

:roflhard:

Mike
05-21-2009, 01:38 PM
I push the cables back into the connector if they're coming out while knitting. I notice the drag on the yarn if they're doing that.

I also learned to check them before starting and if they're loose I pull them apart and put a drop of super glue on a needle and put it in the hole before reinserting the cable.

Both my 32" cables were loose so I fixed all 4 ends before I had a problem while knitting.

I don't suggest pulling apart tight fits because they are too slow to get back together before the glue dries.

Knitting_Guy
05-21-2009, 01:51 PM
I've glued them on the interchangeable ones in the past but for some reason the end of the cable on the fixed needles won't fit back into the end of the needle. It expanded when it came out and is larger than the hole now.

Jan in CA
05-21-2009, 02:00 PM
I've glued them on the interchangeable ones in the past but for some reason the end of the cable on the fixed needles won't fit back into the end of the needle. It expanded when it came out and is larger than the hole now.

Ohhh... I didn't realize you meant the fixed cables. :doh:

knitasha
05-21-2009, 02:23 PM
Sorry you had the problem, Mason.
I've given up on KP metal needles, fixed and interchangeable. There have been just too many times that the IC points unscrewed (on lace!) or the fixed joints came loose or the finish began to wear off.
I love the pointiness and the great cables, and the reasonable price.
But they're not worth the frustration and inconvenience, no matter how nice customer service is. Another example of great design, poor manufacture.

The Harmony needles, though, have performed well, except for one skinny one that snapped on an extra-tight heel. I can forgive that: Wood and bamboo are fragile and I can be, um, impatient.

Jan in CA
05-21-2009, 03:46 PM
I've given up on KP metal needles, fixed and interchangeable. There have been just too many times that the IC points unscrewed (on lace!) or the fixed joints came loose or the finish began to wear off.

Yikes, everyone in my Knit Night group has Options and no one has ever had that much trouble. We do use a grippy thing to tighten them and I've never had them come unscrewed. :shrug:

jheatherley
05-21-2009, 07:34 PM
That's the main complaint I had with options. (The other is that I just don't like metal needles.) That's why I sold my set and got a set of KA interchangeables to supplement my beloved Denise set. The KAs are bamboo, which is lovely, but Denise is still first in my affections.

Jan in CA
05-22-2009, 12:10 AM
I remember how DH did it now...he used hot glue. He put a solid chip of the glue in the end, then held it with a pliers over a candle for a second and then shoved the cable in. So far it's worked great. :thumbsup:

cindycactus
05-22-2009, 09:35 AM
The only problem I had with my Options, both fixed and interchangeable was one of the screws at the end of one cable was too big to fit into the needle. Called KP and they replaced the cable. Sorry you had that problem Mason. I feel your pain.

Mike
05-22-2009, 10:19 AM
The only problem I had with my Options, both fixed and interchangeable was one of the screws at the end of one cable was too big to fit into the needle. Called KP and they replaced the cable. Sorry you had that problem Mason. I feel your pain.

I had one acted like that but it was glue on the threads.
I can't figure out why there was glue on the threads when they obviously don't glue the cables.

imrachel
05-22-2009, 01:46 PM
Truck driver tested and approved, huh? That's good, Jack:roflhard:

I've had multiple problems with Options and finally I called and said, constant problems, maybe someone should be looking into quality control. She said they have a very low percentage of issues and complaints, but I don't know, seems like a very high one to me. . .

And I think it's fine to ask for a replacement even years down the line! These things are supposed to hold through a lot of knitting.

Jan in CA
05-22-2009, 01:57 PM
T
I've had multiple problems with Options and finally I called and said, constant problems, maybe someone should be looking into quality control. She said they have a very low percentage of issues and complaints, but I don't know, seems like a very high one to me. . .

I believe it. What you have to remember is that people who have problems are far more vocal than those who don't. I mean who's going to post that they're needles are perfect and they have no problems?

Most of the people I knit with (15 maybe) have Options and as far as I know no one has had any problems with them. If you look at the number of people in the forum who have them you'll see that it's really a small percentage who have issues with them.

I used to participate in a photography group and the same thing would happen with various cameras. Anyone who has a problem posts about it, but those who didn't never did. :shrug:

cristina61
05-22-2009, 03:16 PM
I've had my Options set since April of '07. They've gotten a lot of use, and I've had very little trouble at all.

They did replace a faulty tip soon after I got the set; the threads were damaged and wouldn't tighten at all.

Other than that, I think I've had two cables that detached from the ends; one of them I need to have replaced (and I'm just so lazy I've never dealt with it), but the other one I stuck back in and squeezed it a little bit, and it seems fine. I'm careful to check it before using it though.

I admit I do have a lot of other needles that I use -- some Addis, Lantern Moon, and Bryspun circs -- so now I trade off and don't "overuse" any of them, and that works for me.

Knitting_Guy
05-26-2009, 06:30 PM
I can't blame KP or the Options. Somehow I don't think they were designed for large, powerful (not bragging) man hands. To be honest those fixed needles are WAY too short for me to use comfortably.

I'll probably just stick to magic loop or two circs for small diameter stuff as the longer needles are easier for me to hold and use.