PDA

View Full Version : Brand new knitter - what I have learned so far

Irishmam
05-23-2009, 08:46 AM
I have been knitting for about 1 month now and was taught by YouTube (really)

Here are my top 3 things I have learned so far - please add yours

1. Always count your stiches. You should see the scarf! Never mind, at least I got to practice how to decrease.

2. Never leave your knitting where your 4-year old can reach it. She pulled out the needle holding all the stiches.But like I said, it was not a very good scarf.

3. Be careful you do not spend more time online looking at yarns and talking about knitting than actually doing some knitting ;)

Irishmam

sgtpam
05-23-2009, 09:23 AM
Welcome to our wonderful world of :knitting:

You learned #3 after only a month?...I think most of us here are still working on that one:teehee:

----------
I'll add:think:
4. Make folders on your computer for all your knitting patterns right from the start (I never thought I'd save so many that I had to name them better than just "baby blanket 1, 2,3, 58, 74"....:rofl:

5. Free..Free...Free.. patterns all over the net! check out the blogs that our members link to in their signatures :woot:

6. Knitters (and crocheters) love to share!!! Patterns, tips, yarns, stories, and charity (check out all the opportunities to get involved in the Charity Forum)

Again.........welcome, and don't be shy asking for help or sharing your sucesses

Jan in CA
05-23-2009, 11:08 AM
#7. Learn what your stitches look like. It helps a lot when doing anything from ribbing to more complicated patterns.

#8. Use a lifeline in lace or other complicated patterns.

Irishmam
05-24-2009, 05:03 AM
Hi Jan

What is a lifeline?

shifio
05-24-2009, 06:09 AM
yep me 2 whats a lifeline

Quiltlady
05-24-2009, 08:59 AM
A life line is a WONDERFUL suggestion. I just used one while knitting a lace shawl...I ended up needing it twice!! I was so glad I used one. Here read all about it..

http://www.knittinghaven.com/lifeline.html
I thread the life line thru a row and mark down on paper what number that row is so I know that if I have to ever rip back to the life line I will know at what row in the pattern it is on and where I need to begin knitting on my pattern in the next row.
I remove and move up the life line frequently and write down again what row it is on in case it's a different row each time. That way if I do need the life line again I only have to rip back a few rows to get back to where I have to start knitting again on my pattern.
Welcome to the wonderful world of knitting...its' addicting.:knitting: :knitting:

Jan in CA
05-24-2009, 10:48 AM
What is a lifeline?

A lifeline keeps you from having to rip out your whole project if you make an error. You move it up every 10 rows or so as the rows remain error free. If you do goof you just pull out the needles and rip back to the lifeline and continue on fixing your mistake.

It does take a little extra time, but it's much faster than restarting 10 times. :lol:
Here's the KH video.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/apps/flash/video_player/play/150/1

jheatherley
05-24-2009, 08:20 PM
Very important rule: never lose your sense of humor.

lulubell
05-24-2009, 09:25 PM
Pay the bills and do the grocery shopping BEFORE you visit the yarn store!

hookedonknitting
05-25-2009, 11:40 AM
NEVER ever let you cat or kids near your project!! That may even apply to some husbands too!! :)

pinktoque
05-25-2009, 01:59 PM
I wish I could say I've learned #3 in the few years I've been knitting. lol

I spend way more time online chatting/replying in threads here and on Ravelry browsing absolutely everything, than knitting some days!

I will have to start using lifelines - I never really thought of it that way and thought it was something specific to lace since it's almost always associated with doing lace. Since I've not done lace before I never looked into it, but now I can see that it would be helpful in just about any knit project situation :)

Irishmam
05-25-2009, 03:15 PM
Lulubell - You made me laugh out loud! 1 month in and already thats an issue for me!

lulubell
05-25-2009, 08:04 PM
Lulubell - You made me laugh out loud! 1 month in and already thats an issue for me!

And my poor credit card gets a hammering too. I have recently found the Vintagepurls website and oh! the beautiful hand dyed sock and lace yarn I just had to have. She only does a few skeins of her 'limited edition' colours. I now have 3 skeins of beautiful colours, another on the way, and have signed up for her sock club (closed) which will give me 3 more lovely skeins.

It is so damn addictive!!!

Kinnexa
05-29-2009, 02:13 AM
Yes, #3 is the one I'll probably never learn. Especially since I discovered Ravelry...

Also: It's only yarn. Have fun!
It's OK to take a break from knitting. (That's what the Internet is for.)
Try to have some idea of what you're going to do with the yarn before you buy it.
Count your stitches.
Try to keep your WIPs down to a dozen or so at a time!

melmac51
06-02-2009, 12:09 PM
I have been knitting for about 1 month now and was taught by YouTube (really)

Here are my top 3 things I have learned so far - please add yours

1. Always count your stiches. You should see the scarf! Never mind, at least I got to practice how to decrease.

2. Never leave your knitting where your 4-year old can reach it. She pulled out the needle holding all the stiches.But like I said, it was not a very good scarf.

3. Be careful you do not spend more time online looking at yarns and talking about knitting than actually doing some knitting ;)

Irishmam

Amen Sistah!

JudiToots
06-03-2009, 12:22 PM
I do all kinds of crafts (decorating, sewing, embrodiery, crocheting, knitting, etc.). So I organize my computer files by similar projects such as sewing and embrodiery in one folder, crocheting and knitting in another. I add a letter at the beginning of the file name to indicate what type of project it is: k- for knitting, c- for crocheting, etc.

Another trick that I have is that I never just print out a pattern off the web or save the link (links change). I will either copy and paste it into a Microsoft Word document or I create a PDF file from it.

Quick comment about Irishmam's #3...
A few weeks ago I read the thread "who knits under their desk." It got me thinking: Has anyone figured out how to surf the net while knitting? :) I think it would be distracting. But then again, I am a semi-new knitter.