PDA

View Full Version : Tinkerbell yarn

pbs
05-29-2009, 12:01 AM
Has anyone used Tinkerbell yarn? It calls for a size 5-7 needle and I have chosen a 7; however, it seems pretty "thick" and tight. When I try a #8, it's sorta loose and floppy. Should I stick with the #7 and just hope the baby doesn't burn up?

Mirl56
05-29-2009, 07:26 AM
I'm not familiar with that yarn, but I'm surprised one needle size different makes so much difference in the knitted fabric.

Not sure what to advise you. Just what are you making?

suzeeq
05-29-2009, 09:12 AM
Is your '8' a US 8 or 8mm? There's a big difference.

pbs
05-29-2009, 12:01 PM
The needle sizes are US sizes 7 and 8. I just making this silly baby blanket for my daughter's baby due in Sept. I've started and stopped this thing 100 times changing yarn, needles, etc. You'd think it was being knitted for the King of England the way I've fretted and fumed over it. it's fuzzy chenelle yarn, so you don't really see the definition of the stitches, so I guess that's my problem. I think I'll just stick with the 7 since that's the larger size of what it recommended. Does that sound like a good idea?

suzeeq
05-29-2009, 12:30 PM
You may find that you'll relax and the gauge on the 7s will loosen up a bit so it's not so tight. Chenille yarn is a hassle to knit with, but can make a nice finished item.

pbs
05-29-2009, 10:49 PM
I guess it's surprising since I'm a new knitter, but I love the chenille--maybe because the Tinkerbell has a shiny baby blue thread through it. It's a more fun yarn than the Berrocco Comfort solids I had been working with.

WandaT
05-30-2009, 08:18 AM
You may just be a tight knitter and need to go up a size or two on your needles anyway. Honestly, I don't worry about what size needles the lable says. I may start with the recommended size(s), but I play with the yarn and stitch to find the results I'm pleased with and go from there. If you feel the fabric is too dense, try other sizes and go with the ones that create the fabric you're pleased with.

My .02 ...