PDA

View Full Version : turning the heel

mathwizard
06-11-2009, 08:26 PM
I am making a pair of socks for a man. I have knitted the heel flap and am ready to turn the heel. I did one sock and shoved it on the foot but I would like the heel a little bigger. Is there a method to increasing the turn of the heel? Most patterns call for a five sts heel and I would like to increase it to a 9 sts heel. Without doing the heel more than once is there a mathematical or other way to do it so the number of stitches are equal when turning the heel?

Plantgoddess+
06-11-2009, 08:34 PM
http://www.socknitters.com/Tips/heels_by_the_number.htm
Maybe something here will help you figure it out.

mathwizard
06-12-2009, 07:18 AM
Thank you! I was looking on the net last night and in books of my mother's which predate my birth and found no help other than most socks have a 5sts centered heel. I want to enlarge it.

mathwizard
06-12-2009, 07:25 AM
I have to say that as I was posting my question I remember looking at what was under my name and chuckled all the time I was typing as it says "knitting the flap" ,lol.

emmilen
06-13-2009, 08:33 AM
I've found that as long as the number of stitches is odd, then whatever number you use works well. I recently started a heel turn with 7 stitches, and had no problems. I'm guessing 9 sts will give the same results. The only difference is that it takes a shorter amount of time to work all the heel stitches.

mathwizard
06-13-2009, 01:53 PM
I now have a pair of socks with two different heels. One a 5 and the other a 9. Did you add rows to the heels or did you just pick up the stitches for the gusset? If you added rows, how many did you add?

emmilen
06-13-2009, 02:24 PM
I didn't add rows to the heels, no. I kept them the same length as usual. I picked up the usual number for the gusset, too--no changes there.

Where the rows disappear is underneath the heel (because you're working fewer rows during the "heel turn"), but that they're missing cauess no problem.