PDA

View Full Version : Felting Koolaide dyed yarn ?

vaknitter
06-15-2009, 02:37 PM
I read through a couple of threads here an koolaide dyed about 1200yds of bulky wool I was given. It was aged and slightly discolored so the colors are a huge improvement. The lady that gave me the wool would like me to felt a bag for her that I am knitting from a few of the colors. Any tips for felting koolaide dyed yard? Do I felt the same as always or do I need to add something to the water to help protect the colors?

AngieLanigan
06-15-2009, 02:59 PM
Once you've dyed the yarn, it should be colourfast (the colours shouldn't run). If you're worried about it, maybe knit up a striped swatch of the different colours and felt it to make sure.

jberry16
06-24-2009, 11:35 AM
Once you've dyed the yarn, it should be colourfast (the colours shouldn't run). If you're worried about it, maybe knit up a striped swatch of the different colours and felt it to make sure.
I've felted lots of kool-aid dyed yarns and never had a problem. I put it on the lowest hottest water setting and add a pair of jeans or 2 and a little baking soda & toss it in. good luck!

vaknitter
06-30-2009, 11:39 AM
What's the baking soda for? I've done a fair amount of felting and never heard of adding that before....

jberry16
06-30-2009, 12:27 PM
What's the baking soda for? I've done a fair amount of felting and never heard of adding that before....
I asumed it was for helping with the smell and for a bit more agitation; but not really sure. I just always add some in the water. a tablespoon or so.

mullerslanefarm
07-01-2009, 08:52 AM
Baking soda is a mild base (opposite of an acid) and helps open up the scales on the fiber.

jberry16
07-01-2009, 09:54 AM
Baking soda is a mild base (opposite of an acid) and helps open up the scales on the fiber.
You're so smart Cyndi! thanks

mullerslanefarm
07-02-2009, 04:46 PM
ah shucks! :blush:

vaknitter
07-07-2009, 09:59 PM
I've never heard about the baking soda - I'll try that next time I felt. I posted the bag in the FO section, but here it is again...

jberry16
07-08-2009, 09:24 AM
I've never heard about the baking soda - I'll try that next time I felt. I posted the bag in the FO section, but here it is again...
very nice!