PDA

View Full Version : Is there a pattern anywhere for an adult car seat cover?

Mommy22alyns
06-21-2009, 05:44 PM
DH just got a different work vehicle and the seats are in not-so-great condition. The previous owner was female, so the seat covers have pink flowers on them. I'm amused, but DH isn't. Has anyone ever seen a pattern for a knitted auto seat cover? I thought it'd be a great idea.

You all were so helpful with my market bag question, I had to enlist your help again! :thumbsup:

Jan in CA
06-22-2009, 11:55 AM
I couldn't find one.

To be honest I'm not sure they'd be very practical anyway. That constant sliding in and out of the car and dumping stuff on the seats would be a lot of wear and tear. Anything pointy like pens, corners of books, etc would catch on the fabric, too. :shrug:

Mommy22alyns
06-22-2009, 06:20 PM
Thanks for looking, Jan!

Mirl56
06-23-2009, 06:47 AM
If you really want to do it, though, you'd probably have to knit to the size of the seat.

Measure the seat front, check your guage, then cast on X stitches and knit to the height of the seat adding in any shaping needed, probably just needed near the top.

You could pick up stitches around 3 edges for the side pieces. and make a duplicate of the front piece for the back and sew it on. Ditto with the seat, though of course you'd only need the top and 3 sides. Make some I-cord ties to tighten everything together.