PDA

View Full Version : Hand problem....

TEMA
06-22-2009, 10:22 PM
I love to knit. I'm doing a lot of it and enjoying every minute of it.
The problem is the pointer finger on my right hand... the hand that holds the yarn.
I'm not sure if the yarn is the problem or not but the skin on that finger (inside facing the 3rd finger and beside the nail) has become really dry and itchy. It's peeling and it's sore.
Has anyone else experienced this...? And what did you do about it?
I've been putting polysporin on it and wrapping it at night but it doesn't seem to help.
TEMA:knitting: :knitting: :knitting:

suzeeq
06-22-2009, 10:24 PM
What kind of yarn? You could be allergic to it, or you might just be holding it too tight and it's rubbing the skin. Try wrapping the yarn so it doesn't go across that spot and see if that'll give it a chance to heal up.

TEMA
06-22-2009, 10:47 PM
Hi Suzeeq... thanks for the quick response...
The yarn I usually use is an acrylic blend. The piece I just finished was a combination of acrylic and a bit of wool. Maybe it was the wool content...
TEMA:knitting:

suzeeq
06-22-2009, 11:08 PM
Could be. Try wrapping/threading the yarn a different way to avoid that spot on your finger and see what happens.

OffJumpsJack
06-24-2009, 03:05 PM
If you can take Benadryl (Allerdryl), you might try the gel on the sore spot (they also make an anti-itch cream).

If it is an allergy then that should make noticeable improvements overnight.

I sometimes get dry patches when I handle a lot of office paper. I use to think it was the laser toner, but not so sure anymore. Antibiotic ointment helped the dryness but it didn't go away until I used a Lotrimin* (or Canesten) cream. I now suspect I'm sensitive to fungus in the paper pulp.

*Clotrimazole (kloe-TRIM-a-zole) topical preparations are used to treat fungus infections.

suzeeq
06-24-2009, 09:34 PM
It's the paper itself. I've worked a lot in shipping and receiving and your hands get very dry handling the boxes, though have never had a fungus from them.