PDA

View Full Version : Knitting while walking?

JudiToots
06-24-2009, 01:30 PM
Just curious if anyone has attempted to knit while walking...

Due to a "walking challenge" at work and personal health reasons, I need to get myself moving. (My job requires that I sit at a computer most of the day.) I started using a pedometer and my numbers are horrible. My husband said, "Maybe you should try walking while you knit." I think he meant it as a joke but the funny thing is that I had already thought of it shortly before he said it.

Knitting while walking on a treadmill is not a possibility for me. I had an encounter with a treadmill last Fall. (Still have scars from it.) While I am not afraid of the treadmill, I certainly don't want to have another incident.

But what about walking around the neighborhood? Would socks be an easy project to do while walking? Could I just get a lap bag to carry my supplies? Any ideas? :cool:

motherpink
06-24-2009, 01:40 PM
I won't thought that would be advisable because your could easily trip up something and stab yourself. It's a funny thought though walking while you knit.

Jan in CA
06-24-2009, 01:51 PM
Sure! If you do a small project like dishcloths or socks it would be pretty easy. There are small bags that have a handle/wrist strap on them that could carry the yarn while you walk. I would nix the large projects though. And it would help if you can look up a lot while knitting..otherwise you could trip and hurt yourself.

Something like this -
http://yarnmonster.blogspot.com/2007/01/drawstring-bag-tutorial.html (http://www.coriandr.com/item?item=1399)
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=24444734

saracidaltendencies
06-24-2009, 02:43 PM
Yes, actually...lol...Around Christmas, I had to get some projects done since they were gifts...I needed every minute I had so when it came time to get my daughter from school, I'd knit while I walked up to the school...lol...I had a coat with big pockets so I just put my ball of yarn in my pocket and knitted from it...You could also use a handbag or something, I'm sure.

OffJumpsJack
06-24-2009, 02:47 PM
Just be aware of the drivers that are reading novels or maps..
:)

I'd recommend garter stitch and circular needles. That way you don't have to look at your work as much and if a needles slips out it shouldn't hit the ground where it might get scarred up.

Alternatively you could download knitting podcasts to your mp3 player and listen to talk about knitting while you walk.

Best of luck with your walking.

cftwo
06-24-2009, 03:38 PM
I have a tendency to walk into things (signs, poles, etc.) if I don't watch where I'm going. I can knit and read, but I don't dare knit and walk.

(There are also walking video workouts, which can be handy if the weather is bad - www.walkathome.com )

canhota
06-24-2009, 04:39 PM
Certainly you can walk and knit. I've seen a lot of people doing just that in South America. I'd stay off of busy roads, however, and skip trying to use an IPOD or MP3 player at the same time.

globaltraveler
06-24-2009, 06:07 PM
Safety first. Don't knit while walking until you can pay more attention to where your feet are going than having to look at your knitting. Lots of people can knit while walking and not looking at the knitting. (I'm not one of them, however.)

imrachel
06-24-2009, 07:18 PM
It sounds like a nice idea, but I'm just envisioning a poke in the eye. I wouldn't try it.

mwhite
06-24-2009, 07:47 PM
It sounds like a nice idea, but I'm just envisioning a poke in the eye. I wouldn't try it.

I agree and I'd be the one getting the poke...just not this coordinated!:waah:

Arielluria
06-24-2009, 07:58 PM
I could totally walk (not on treadmill) but OK on street while knitting a sock or something else small. If it's easy stockinette or garter and/or you can knit without looking down shouldn't be a problem. I knit on a stockinette sock a couple of weeks ago in the dentist's chair and it kept my mind off what he was doing.

Woodi
06-24-2009, 08:12 PM
I hear you on the sitting too much and watching a ball of fat grow in my lap....it happens so quickly!

but it does sound a bit dangerous to walk and knit, plus, you wouldn't be able to walk fast enough to burn much fat.

Why not knit for 10 minutes, then walk 10 minutes....the knitting will be a reward for the walking. Or do more minutes of each...

Stefmb
06-24-2009, 08:34 PM
I don;t know if this is a good idea I, have personally never tried it but I have thought about it and actually saw an idea for it.

Knit something smaller like socks or a dish cloth etc using a circular needle and instead of carrying a bag, start by attaching your ball of yarn to a stitch holder and through the cable of the circular needle to hold it that way you won't have to worry about walking with all the extra stuff. :happydance:

mathwizard
06-24-2009, 09:13 PM
Aren't you afraid you could trip and poke and eye or other body part. I take my knitting with me wherever I go. I knit at the doctors,dentist and even while waiting in my car for one of my kids.

suzeeq
06-24-2009, 09:52 PM
If you can knit fairly well without having to look at your work, it's easy, I've done it. I put my yarn in a small bag that hangs from my wrist and took off. And a small project, or part of a larger one (like sleeves) is best so there's not too much weight on your arms/wrists.

Lisa R.
06-24-2009, 10:54 PM
Here's another bag apparently designed for walking or at least moving around while knitting: GoKnit Pouch (http://www.knitpicks.com/accessories/GoKnit_Pouch__DGoKnit.html)

However, while it might be easy to walk while knitting, I'm wondering if you could walk *fast enough* to burn many calories or exercise those muscles while knitting. I'm sure I could do something simple while walking...but not walking for fitness.

I have been going to the gym...I listen to knitting (and other) podcasts while working out. Then I knit when I get home. :)

Crycket
06-24-2009, 11:03 PM
I couldn't do it myself...but then...I am also not a fan of eating on my lap either....

I can knit anywhere....I can knit without having to constantly be looking at what I am knitting...

But I would say I am probably capable, but would not be comfortable knitting while walking...or standing for that matter....I like to be sitting....

suzeeq
06-24-2009, 11:05 PM
Walking at any pace burns more calories than sitting, though seated knitting burns more than just sitting watching the TV.

luvmykid28
06-25-2009, 10:47 AM
I would probably try walking while knitting. But the podcast idea sounds great, I think I'll try it.

I have knit while riding the stationary bike. As long as the project is easy. Here's what I have noted about perspiration and yarn: Yarn doesn't move as easily through the hands. I prefer to knit with cotton while exercising. Just some thoughts...

Mirl56
06-25-2009, 11:46 AM
I expect I could knit while walking, but I don't think I'd be doing either of them efficiently. For me, at least, they are better done searately.

linknit41
06-25-2009, 07:24 PM
have never really tried walking around the neighborhood while knitting, but do knit and walk around my deck and porch and even in the house when i am wanting to not sit!linknit41

vaknitter
06-25-2009, 07:52 PM
HMMM - seeing as how my nickname is grace (I'm a known klutz) I would not be able to walk and knit at the same time. I can't even walk and chew gum at the same. Personally I would prefer to walk with a friend, the hubby, or an Ipod. If you're walking for exercise you want to walk at a pace of 10-15min/mile and for that you will most likely need your arms pumping. Coming home to a shower and some time sitting and knitting (rather than sitting and eating ice cream as I am prone to doing) may be a safer bet.

Either way Best of Luck !

bellybean
06-30-2009, 01:10 PM
I don't know if I could do it (I'm still a pretty new knitter) but some people can. This woman (http://extremeknittingredhead.blogspot.com/) knits while running marathons!

sarahfisher
06-30-2009, 06:05 PM
:thumbsup: Totally do it! I agree to just do something easy in the round. And if you don't have any babies around purchase a stroller, provides ample room to store supplies, and a great place to lean or rest your knitters! Good luck!!!

Sarah Fisher

www.internetceomoms.com/thisgreenhome

imrachel
07-01-2009, 05:48 PM
Please, please don't do this. It's just too dangerous. You could truly put out an eye or puncture a lung. . .there are other things to do while walking and other places to be while knitting!

JudiToots
07-02-2009, 11:17 AM
I have a tendency to walk into things (signs, poles, etc.) if I don't watch where I'm going. I can knit and read, but I don't dare knit and walk.

(There are also walking video workouts, which can be handy if the weather is bad - www.walkathome.com (http://www.walkathome.com) )

cftwo, I forgot that I already have some of Leslie's DVDs! That's a good suggestion for maintaining safety.

Thank you to all who replied with suggestions. ;)

Anarfea
07-06-2009, 03:01 PM
I don't think I could walk while knitting, but I heard that women in Shetland used to go out and work collecting peat, and cary the peat in baskets on their backs back from the villiage. They would apparently knit socks while commuting. Also, I've seen traditional greek costumes where old ladies have a knitting bag on the wrist and knitted whenever they had a few spare moments.

I would think that if you are able to knit without looking it might not be dangerous.

Squeakee
07-06-2009, 04:02 PM
Hmm, I would also think the motion generated by your foot steps would make it difficulty to hold the needles steady. Great idea though!! I too have committed myself to walk at leat 5K a day (recommended by Dr. and even have a pedometer that records it that way). When I realised that I didn't want to give up knitting/crocheting or reading I started walking early in the morning. it actually energized me for the day.

If you try the knitting while walking please let us know how it goes.

bebedechocolate
07-09-2009, 06:43 PM
I was walking around the bookstore today and was working on the hat I am making my boyfriend. It is a very easy stitch (mistake rib) so I could do it without needing to look down very often. I had the yarn ball in my tote bag and just pulled out a bit more yarn when I needed it.

outdoordrea
07-11-2009, 10:20 AM
I've done a little knitting while walking, but what I do a lot of is knitting while waiting (in line at the grocery store, at the DMV, at the dentist office, etc.). If I'm going to be waiting, I might as well have something to show for my time :wink:.

imrachel
07-11-2009, 02:12 PM
I love knitting. I love seeing that other people love knitting. I love to talk to people about their knitting. But if I saw someone walking anywhere near me while knitting, I would not be very happy. Waiting in line at a grocery store is one thing, if you keep moving when necessary. But walking in the aisles in a bookstore or any other shop, is just really, really inconsiderate. If I bump into you and get hurt, or even if I bump into you and YOU get hurt and then I feel bad about it-- inexcusable. There are sometimes small children running around. They shouldn't be, but they do, and if they knock into you and get hurt or hurt you. . . We can leave our knitting alone for short times during the day. We NEED to leave our knitting alone for short times during the day. If you're on your own treadmill at home, that's your business. But out in public-- that becomes everyone else's business. Being careful is just not enough. You can't predict accidents (that's why they're called accidents). Some activities in life should not be done while in motion. And yes, I know about the Shetland women who would work or walk and knit. That doesn't mean they never poked an eye out. You wouldn't walk around with open pairs of scissors in your hands. You wouldn't walk around with lit flares. I just don't understand why folks need to do this or defend it!!!