PDA

View Full Version : Help on a Bolero Sweater from Feminine Knits

JudiToots
06-25-2009, 07:06 AM
I am attempting to make a Bolero sweater (pg 36 in Feminine Knits...shown here (http://www.knittingdaily.com/blogs/daily/archive/2009/06/08/translating-feminine-knits-an-insider-s-story.aspx)) that will go beautifully with a sundress that I have. I say "attempt" because I keep hitting one road block after another. Please bare with me as this might be a long explanation.

Materials:
US 1.5 (2.5 mm) straight and circular, US 4 (3.5 mm) straight
Coats HP Love Lima

Dilemma #1: I have not been able to find the size 1.5 needle at any LYS (and I don't want to order online). So I decided to substitute and use a US 2 since I typically knit tightly. I'm OK with a slightly larger FO as I anticipate shrinkage. Will this work?

Dilemma #2: The recommended yarn is not sold in the US. It is a linen/cotton/viscose blend (fingering weight). Again, I have not been able to find this at any LYS. So I decided to use 100% cotton crochet thread (Aunt Lydia's Fashion Crochet Thread Size 3) which is also fingering weight. This should work, right?

Dilemma #3: The pattern starts with a k3, p3 rib (using US 1.5 [2] needles) for 1 1/4" and then begins the lace pattern (using US 4 needles) to finish with the rib pattern again. The gauge is 19 sts and 36 rows = 4 inches but it is for the lace pattern. How do I determine the gauge for the rib pattern?

I had begun this project. When I measured the back piece (after ribbing for 1/2"), I discovered that it is not large enough. It only measured around 19" when it should measure 21 1/4". So I frogged it and decided to cast on using the US 4 needles (thinking that perhaps I cast on too tight). I get just about the same result. I am sure that this has something to do with not being able to determine the proper gauge for the ribbing.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

suzeeq
06-25-2009, 09:30 AM
Don't worry about the gauge for the ribbing; if you get the gauge in the lace, the ribbing will just be smaller, which it's supposed to be. That's why they didn't give a gauge for it, and why it would be fine to use the size 2s.

JudiToots
06-25-2009, 09:36 AM
suzeeq,

My concern is that the ribbing (as it is now) won't be wide enough for when I get to the lace part. Will the ribbing be stretched apart when I begin the lace? (Obviously, I've never done this type of pattern before.)

suzeeq
06-25-2009, 10:01 AM
Ribbing is stretchy, so it should stretch out more when you wear it or with the rest of the sweater on it. You could always add more sts (in multiples of 6) to do the ribbing, then dec them on the last row so you have the right number to begin the body of the sweater.