PDA

View Full Version : I Can't Believe I Did That

Knitting_Guy
06-28-2009, 09:08 PM
I finished the turtleneck part of the current sweater project, and when ready to switch to the body and increases I removed the needles from the cable and started threading on the size 11s I plan to use. I always use a rubber grippy when tightening the needle to the cable as it makes it nice and snug.

Well, I guess I wasn't paying enough attention to how tightly I turned it, probably due to the cute waitress in the miniskirt, and I snapped the thread end right off the cable. :wall: The metal threads snapped off cleanly from the rest of the metal end.

I now have one less 40" cable and a now useless size 11 needle as the threads are still inside the thing making it impossible to thread onto a cable now.

Never had that happen before. :shrug:

lulubell
06-28-2009, 10:06 PM
How awful! Keep your mind and eyes on the job in future, matey.
Hey, I just went to look at your 'boring blog' and an alert notice came up about your security system not being one my computer trusts. I am so computer illiterate that it scared me so I got out of there fast. What does it mean? Is there any risk? I cant imagine you having anything unsecure.

AH1OZ
06-28-2009, 10:36 PM
:hair:

that sucks

Mike
06-29-2009, 12:13 AM
Bummer. I knew there was a reason I always figured I got tight enough without a piece of rubber.

A sharp sewing needle may work to get a bite on the broken threads to get them to back out enough so you can grab it. Usually once there is no shoulder on the threads they get pretty loose.
Another option is to sharpen an eye glass screwdriver and hope that can get a bite.
Short of that I'm betting you don't have drills small enough to drill a hole in it. You might be able to find a local jeweler who would remove the threads for you.

Then if/when you get the threads out of the needle you can pop one of the ends of another cable and put it on the 40" if you need both the 40" cables. If you haven't glued them on they should swap pretty easily.

mathwizard
06-29-2009, 08:06 AM
If you can use a potato to remove a broken light bulb why not try it for the needle. You have nothing to loose.

Crycket
06-30-2009, 07:37 AM
Can't say I ever got distracted by a cute girl in a mini skirt...*smiles*...

Knitting_Guy
06-30-2009, 10:22 AM
Hey, I just went to look at your 'boring blog' and an alert notice came up about your security system not being one my computer trusts. I am so computer illiterate that it scared me so I got out of there fast. What does it mean? Is there any risk? I cant imagine you having anything unsecure.
Nothing to worry about. My blog site is located on a software company's servers and is quite secure. Your security software simply didn't recognize the site as a "known trusted site".

Knitting_Guy
06-30-2009, 10:23 AM
Hi, LZ

You're amazing ! Just remember that you're the miracle of the world.:cool:

????????? Who's LZ?

Knitting_Guy
06-30-2009, 10:24 AM
Can't say I ever got distracted by a cute girl in a mini skirt...*smiles*...

They can be quite distracting :rofl:

Knitting_Guy
06-30-2009, 10:25 AM
I've been trying various tools to remove the threads, but so far no luck. They're in there very tightly.

MoniDew
06-30-2009, 05:36 PM
heard that you were in Oklahoma today/yesterday...you're supposed to tell me when you're nearby!!!!!

Knitting_Guy
06-30-2009, 09:48 PM
heard that you were in Oklahoma today/yesterday...you're supposed to tell me when you're nearby!!!!!
Sorry, was just passing through on my way to Texas.

mathwizard
07-01-2009, 08:08 AM
Having only sons, I know that when I am driving and they are with me that mini's and more are distracting to them! They only thing is they don't knit and therefore won't have any problems,lol. They do make some comments which I tell them I shouldn't like to hear again and they laugh or don't repeat at that time. Most comments are not bad but of the whoo hoo nature,lol!
I can't believe I am ripping out only a section of knitting because I put the cable in backwards. It is repeated twice on the pattern row over 20 stitches and the row involved is down 6. I need quiet and a totally rested brain and eyes. I would hate to fix it and discover another mistake. I am following EZ advice about fixing a mistake and not frogging lots of rows with many stitch patterns. Pattern row has 40sts with a pattern, next 20 is cable pattern, next 10 is a pattern like ribbing and the cable repeats and 40 sts pattern repeats on the row I made a mistake. My head hurts at the moment just thinking of fixing.