PDA

View Full Version : short row heel holes...

Crycket
06-29-2009, 05:54 PM
Ok...

Is it just me, or does everyone get little holes in wrapped short row heel socks?

I know how to avoid it when you are picking up stitches on the heel flap, but with the short row, I always end up with that gap..more on one side than the other...but a gap none-the-less....

Any tips?

Jenelle
06-29-2009, 10:48 PM
Here (http://misocrafty.squarespace.com/journal/2006/9/21/short-row-heel-tutorial.html) is what I do. Hope that helps. :)

LadyFirelyght
06-30-2009, 12:51 AM
I was gonna link to that! It really is perfect. No holes!

Crycket
06-30-2009, 07:33 AM
I think we got the wrong holes...

The holes I am talking about are the gaps created when you are moving from the body of the sock to the heel, and vs versa. The connection points from which you start and finish the heel itself.

Does that make sense?

That was an awesome tutorial though...thanks!

hartleystudio
06-30-2009, 08:50 AM
I got that too when I tried short rows. My teacher told me to think of it as a little bit of lace in the design. *GRRRRRR* I didn't like it either so I just gave up short rows as a bad business. I'm going to have to figure them out sooner or later, I hear they are really helpful in knitting garments, but they were frustrating and I didn't like the holes either!!

cacunn
06-30-2009, 10:30 AM
I saw this a day or so ago and have not tried it, but, thought I would pass it along.

Fleegles' Blog No Sock Holes For You (http://fleeglesblog.blogspot.com/2007/09/no-sock-holes-for-you.html#links)

If you try it lets us know what you think.

margz3
06-30-2009, 11:17 AM
Thanks for this post! I just got back to my first sock (had to take a short break for baby shower items) and got to this point myself last night. I had finished the heel and was joining back in the round to do the rest of the sock (I am knitting on 2 circs, toe up) and TOTALLY have a huge hole on one side :mad: I figured I would just kinda stitch it up.

Chris, thanks for posting that link. It seems a little confusing to me right now, but I'll give it a shot when I work on the second sock - it will probably make more sense if I actually "do it" while knitting than trying to read about it here at work!

labeelady
06-30-2009, 11:31 AM
The holes I am talking about are the gaps created when you are moving from the body of the sock to the heel, and vs versa.

Did you make sure you slipped those first stitches?

Crycket
06-30-2009, 06:03 PM
I figured I would just kinda stitch it up.

Yeah...that is totally what I was going to do...

and you know...

I don't rightly remember if I slipped stitches at the beginning...I will pay more mind to it next sock....

margz3
07-01-2009, 08:55 AM
Yeah...that is totally what I was going to do...

and you know...

I don't rightly remember if I slipped stitches at the beginning...I will pay more mind to it next sock....

I did slip my stitches and still ended up with the hole :mad: But since it is the furthest I have made it trying socks, I am determined to just keep going, and hope I can correct it on sock #2

Ronda
07-01-2009, 09:13 AM
There is a fix for that in one of my books. Let me see if I can find it.

Ronda
07-01-2009, 09:17 AM
Well, there is a fix in Sensational Knitted Socks, but I don't want to infringe on copyrights, so I'm trying to find something on the Internet...

Okay, there is a tip here on this page on how to avoid a hole: http://www.knitting-socks.com/how-to-knit-socks.html

or here: http://techknitting.blogspot.com/2009/04/crossing-stitches-one-way-to-avoid-hole.html

I hope that's what you mean. I know for a fact that the tip in Sensational Knitted Socks helps (page 25) so if you can get your hands on a copy of that, you might find what you need.

Sorry if I'm way off and not understanding what you mean. :)

auburnchick
07-01-2009, 01:51 PM
I always pick up an extra stitch (grabbing the legs of two different stitches in between the needles) and do a k2tog with the next stitch to close that gap and get the stitch count where it's supposed to be. I repeat on the other side, and the gaps are gone!

labeelady
07-01-2009, 03:51 PM
I agree with auburnchick. I just watched Nenah Galati's Sock III video again regarding how she copes with the gap between the heel and instep. She picks up TWO extra stitches in each corner, then works decreases on the next few rounds to get it back to the number you started with.

esell915
07-02-2009, 08:45 AM
I too get these holes. The only socks I make are ones with short row heels. They are just my fave. My method of closing up these holes is once you've knitted the last wrap on the heel row, pick up a few stitches as to "close the gap" before you begin knitting the instep. Then once you've done that & have knit the first row of the instep, pick up more sts at the end of that row too. It closes the holes perfectly every time. Then the next round, just k2tog where you picked up the sts so that you're back to your original stitch count. HTH. :-)

margz3
07-02-2009, 09:36 AM
I always pick up an extra stitch (grabbing the legs of two different stitches in between the needles) and do a k2tog with the next stitch to close that gap and get the stitch count where it's supposed to be. I repeat on the other side, and the gaps are gone!

Funny, I was looking at my socks last night and that thought went through my mind. I thought I may have run into the problem, particularly with the pattern I am using, because when I started the pattern row on the backside (needle 2) it started with a YO which probably caused the hole to be even bigger than it might have been. I will definitely use your suggestion on the second sock!