PDA

View Full Version : I need help :(

StKittenHoot
07-01-2009, 06:04 PM
:wink: Okay, I just joined this site!! Woo :) but I'm a bit lost. I know one type of knit but I forgot the name. I don't know terms or anything, I literally started to knit today..I just learned maybe 10 minutes ago. So, I have my first "line" stitched? I did the technique where you wrap the yarn around the pointer finger and the needle goes under and into the loop. I did a good size line of that but now I'm lost. I don't know what to do now. I have a long tail too but I just need to know the next step in this XD I watched the videos and they didnt help. I'm a newby!!! :happydance:

suzeeq
07-01-2009, 07:03 PM
A 'line' of sts is called a row, and it sounds like you've finished the first row, or maybe just the knit cast on. You would turn your work around and put the needle with sts in your left hand and the empty needle in your right and make a row of stitches. Then repeat when you get to the end of that row. Knitting every row makes garter stitch. Look at the video Demo of a Small project on the Tips page which shows casting on, working a few rows, then binding off. Maybe that will help you. Also look at the knit st video as it's a little different than the knit cast on.

tokmom
07-02-2009, 09:18 AM
Just wanted to say welcome and good luck with your knitting adventure. I'm sure you'll be really hooked in no time like the rest of us.
The videos were extremely helpful to me.

GrasshopperKnits18
07-02-2009, 09:39 AM
A 'line' of sts is called a row, and it sounds like you've finished the first row, or maybe just the knit cast on. You would turn your work around and put the needle with sts in your left hand and the empty needle in your right and make a row of stitches. Then repeat when you get to the end of that row. Knitting every row makes garter stitch. Look at the video Demo of a Small project on the Tips page which shows casting on, working a few rows, then binding off. Maybe that will help you. Also look at the knit st video as it's a little different than the knit cast on.

You should look at the vids for english and continental knitting styes:knitting: . If you purl across every other row this produces a smooth fabric. It's called stockinette stitch and it rolls at the edges. Look at the purl stitch video to learn the purl stitch. If you alternate purl and knit stitches on the same row you get ribbing. That's all, best of luck!:thumbsup:

Knitting_Guy
07-05-2009, 08:36 PM
Welcome!

Take your time and be patient with yourself. We all started right where you are now.

You're off to a great start.

As previously described, you'll hold the needle with the cast on stitches in your left hand, and the working needle in your right hand, and start knitting. I'd recommend just watching the videos about the basic stitches and practicing those. Start by doing a bunch of knit stitches until you feel comfortable with them and can begin to maintain a fairly even tension.

Then practice a bunch of purl stitches until you get that down. Then you can try mixing them up to produce stockinette, ribbing, etc.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. These fine folks put up with my really dumb questions for a long time before I starting figuring things out, so you can feel assured they'll be more than happy to answer your questions.