PDA

View Full Version : opinion on colour pooling

Lucy78green
07-04-2009, 01:47 PM
I am knitting Mystique (http://ziaperamore.blogspot.com/2007/01/maybe-i-give-up.html) using Mountain Colors Weavers Wool (http://www.mountaincolors.com/colors/index.html)(present from my sister) in Moose Creek. I decided to add in bust darts as I have a large chest, but after the bust darts the colour pooling changed from roughly diagonal horizontal stripes to vertical ones. The photos I have make the colours look a bit lighter than they are, but you can see the effect. I am wondering whether ripping back to the short rows and adding in an extra 2 short rows would stop the horizontal stripes, or whether I can live with it. It was one large skein and I wound it using my wool winder, but when it got too big I just kept on winding it into a huge ball. This means that the other end is now in the centre of it somewhere so I can't knit from both ends at once. I have it on my projects page if your on ravelry here (http://www.ravelry.com/projects/lucy78green/mystique-sweater). Just looking for opinions really!
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/lucy78green/mystiquemoose018.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/lucy78green/mystiquemoose017.jpg

suzeeq
07-04-2009, 01:58 PM
Looks kind of pschedelic on purpose to me and probably wouldn't bother me.

cindycactus
07-04-2009, 03:16 PM
It does have a tiedyed look. It all depends how you feel about it. I like it.

newamy
07-04-2009, 03:35 PM
The color looks great by the shoulder to the top of the bust I think the pooling is because you have longer areas being knit so has changed the pattern, I don't think the short rows are the entire cause, but they could be a contributor. I'm not sure what to advise, I don't like how the color has come out. Your knitting and the sweater pattern is great however.

imrachel
07-04-2009, 03:54 PM
I'm in love with it! If I could figure out how to do it on purpose I would! Looks like galaxies in outerspace. . .it's beautiful.

auntietracy
07-04-2009, 03:54 PM
Any time I use variegated yarn I anticipate color pooling or flashing. I like it.

bambi
07-04-2009, 04:02 PM
I like the colors. My only concern would be that the way the colors pooled around the waist might accentuate the waist a bit. Can you put it on waste yarn and try it on?

Bambi

suzeeq
07-04-2009, 04:10 PM
Looks like galaxies in outerspace. . .

Yeah, that's what I thought too..

GinnyG
07-04-2009, 06:03 PM
It's very difficulty to avoid color pooling, especially when using one skein. I always consider it that unique touch that makes it one of a kind.

I have even had color pooling when using two alternating skeins, sometimes there just isn't anything you can do to prevent it.

farmgirl
07-04-2009, 08:52 PM
I like it. The colors are beautiful!

Lucy78green
07-04-2009, 09:24 PM
I'm still in two minds about it, but the natural laziness is kicking in, I don't want to frog and reknit unless i have to so I might just keep it...

knitasha
07-04-2009, 10:46 PM
Pooling? You bet! I immediately thought of pebbles dropped in a real pool, or a whirlpool. The colors are beautiful and the patterning is unique. I'd just call it a very happy accident and go with it. (It would be good if the back and sleeves were a little quieter, though.)

ArtLady1981
07-05-2009, 09:07 AM
The area with the pooling is actually prettier than the 'plain' areas. I think I'd leave it be! It looks wonderful! Usually pooling doesn't turn out as nicely as this! Swirly and girly and shapely!

Crycket
07-05-2009, 11:36 AM
I like the pooling...and yes...I would be lazy at this point too...

The pooling looks like it is there on purpose...

globaltraveler
07-05-2009, 01:58 PM
I'd say it all depends what it looks like on you. So long as it doesn't accentuate anything but positives, and you like the way it looks, it's a feature!

Personally, I couldn't wear it that way. It'd accentuate things that really aren't positives! :teehee:

Lucy78green
07-05-2009, 03:07 PM
I am slightly concerned that it'll make my chest seem bigger, but as I said before the colours aren't as bright as they seem in the photos, but the camera flash lightens them a bit.

Lucy78green
07-05-2009, 07:23 PM
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/lucy78green/mystiquemoose024.jpg
bad photo in mirror, but with a flash it reflects and without it's too dark to see. The mirror is old and scratched too which doesn't help. Anyhow, I did another two pattern repeats and tried it on, and I think I'll do another pattern repeat as I don't like my jumpers too short

globaltraveler
07-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Oooh, that'd be the least of my worries with that, I think...really, I just need to start doing some crunches every day! :)

Gosh, that's a cute jumper pattern, Lucy -- love the lace down the front! I agree about another pattern repeat -- I don't like having the top of my jeans not being under the bottom of my jumpers. :)

Knitting_Guy
07-05-2009, 08:30 PM
I like it, but then I am something of a redneck/hippie sort of hybrid freak anyway :rofl:

I am slightly concerned that it'll make my chest seem bigger,

From a guy's perspective, ummmmm, what's the problem again? :teehee:

imrachel
07-05-2009, 10:43 PM
Oh Mason, you're really hopping tonight.:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

GrasshopperKnits18
07-06-2009, 08:01 AM
I like it, but you might want to try it on to see if you do.

Anarfea
07-06-2009, 10:42 AM
When I looked at the photo on your project page I thought it looked a little wierd but on you I think it looks fine. I wouldn't frog it, and I'm a big believer in frogging.

Lucy78green
07-06-2009, 11:51 AM
From a guy's perspective, ummmmm, what's the problem again? :teehee:
Well it all depends on your perspective I suppose!

Lucy78green
07-06-2009, 11:53 AM
Oooh, that'd be the least of my worries with that, I think...really, I just need to start doing some crunches every day! :)

Gosh, that's a cute jumper pattern, Lucy -- love the lace down the front! I agree about another pattern repeat -- I don't like having the top of my jeans not being under the bottom of my jumpers. :)
I should probably get some exercise too in that area, but sure there's always tomorrow....

Lucy78green
07-06-2009, 11:57 AM
When I looked at the photo on your project page I thought it looked a little wierd but on you I think it looks fine. I wouldn't frog it, and I'm a big believer in frogging.

It's really hard to photograph, it's quite a dark yarn but the flash brightens it up a lot, and without the flash it just looks murky brown. Then as it's lacey on the front you can't see that when you lay it down flat. I would get someone else to photograph it on me, but they already think I've taken this knitting malarkey too far without weird photos to add to it.

lulubell
07-06-2009, 09:19 PM
It reminds me of those lovely coloured patches one sees sometimes on the road when the light hits an oil slick in a certain way. Beautiful.

My only reservation would be the 3-D looking part around the waist, but one would have to have it on and have a couple of photos taken to really tell.

Lucy78green
07-07-2009, 06:47 PM
My only reservation would be the 3-D looking part around the waist, but one would have to have it on and have a couple of photos taken to really tell.
I think that's the bust dart, it adds an extra 2 inches underneath the bust to compensate for the large chest so that the sweater doesn't ride up at the front. Otherwise I would have to make it larger and therefore a bit tentesque.

lulubell
07-08-2009, 01:53 AM
Lucy, this is completely off the topic, but a few months ago I was telling my sister about the lovely Irish word you used for unpicking knitting (tink) and we were saying what lovely words you guys have etc etc. I was most dissappointed to realise ages later that it is just 'knit' backwards or in other words "unknitting".

I know, just a little thick!

abiahheign
07-08-2009, 02:54 AM
It looks great really!
The color is good I am wondering how you do that.
I wish I could make my own also.:aww:

globaltraveler
07-08-2009, 12:18 PM
Lucy, this is completely off the topic, but a few months ago I was telling my sister about the lovely Irish word you used for unpicking knitting (tink) and we were saying what lovely words you guys have etc etc. I was most dissappointed to realise ages later that it is just 'knit' backwards or in other words "unknitting".

Okay, so that's hilarious! (I hasten to add that I'm not laughing AT you! :) )

Lucy78green
07-11-2009, 06:20 AM

Well I think it was one of those words I picked up off the internet, they seep into your brain without you noticing...

Woodi
07-11-2009, 07:09 AM
I think it looks beautiful, both on and off you. The colors remind me of water, and I love natural water patterns. I remember as a child, sitting by a stream and watching the water swirl into patterns, reflecting all the colors around them...which meant that on sunny days they'd be different from cloudy ones, and at different times of the day.
When you wear the sweater, people may be inclined to think like this too....not worrying about YOU so much, as the lovely patterns and colors, and perhaps memories of their own.
I now worry less what my body looks like to others, and more about the artistic beauty I offer to others to look at and enjoy, in whatever I wear.

It is far too difficult to please people with our bodies, unless we are built like those tall, skinny 'human racehorses' which we see paraded down all the fashion runways. I prefer real womens' body shapes.

Lucy78green
07-19-2009, 09:03 PM
Here's a more recent update. I remembered my camera had a timer function so I tried to photograph myself against a white background. The camera seems to have made my red t-shirt redder, the colour is a little off, but I think it gives a better idea of what it looks like now. Only the neck left!
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/lucy78green/mystiquemoose034.jpg

lulubell
07-19-2009, 09:35 PM
It looks great, and the bit I was a wee bit worried about does not even exist when it is on a body. Good work.

Knitting_Guy
07-19-2009, 09:55 PM
Looks great. I like it.

globaltraveler
07-19-2009, 10:22 PM
Looks terrific, Lucy!

knitasha
07-20-2009, 10:28 PM
Lucy, I think it looks great on you. It fits beautifully, the neckline is flattering and the lace down the front is so pretty.

Lucy78green
07-21-2009, 12:27 PM
I finished the ribbing on the neckline last night really late as I thought it would only take an hour or so, but of course it didn't so I was up until 2am (I should have gone to bed) getting up for work this morning was fun. Have to weave in ends etc but I'll get some FO pictures when I get around to it.

Lucy78green
07-21-2009, 04:29 PM
Finished! (ok not washed/blocked or anything, but all ends sewn up)
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/lucy78green/mystiquemoose042b.jpg

globaltraveler
07-21-2009, 05:18 PM
It's really beautiful! Hope it makes you feel just as beautiful to wear it! :)

Lucy78green
07-22-2009, 12:45 PM
Thanks everyone for all your kind words, I think it's a little too warm for the weather round here at the minute, but I'll plan what to wear with it soon!