PDA

View Full Version : First major project for a beginning knitter

bmay33
07-06-2009, 03:20 PM
I'm working on my first major project (up to now, I've only managed to finish one dishcloth.. everything else has been frogged for one reason or another LOL!) and its going to be gifted.

Any advice or ideas from some of you more experienced knitters for improvement? I'm thinking about edging the crosses with a very deep chocolate brown yarn of the same weight to help them pop a little more once its completed. The finished project will have this same pattern at both ends, and then the trinity stitch across the middle section.

This is what I've gotten so far.. I've been working on it for two days now. Yarn is Sugar and Cream cotton on US7 circulars.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2447/3695374620_4f87116f97_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3605/3694566207_8d4e2b888b_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3650/3695374724_412f845353_o.jpg

Jan in CA
07-06-2009, 07:38 PM
It's looking good!

bmay33
07-06-2009, 08:12 PM
Thanks!! I'm glad its looking at least decent to someone other than myself..LOL Its a bit nerve wracking since I'm making it up as I go :??

sgtpam
07-06-2009, 08:58 PM
It looks great! Be sure to keep us posted...can't wait to see the end product.

ArtLady1981
07-06-2009, 11:56 PM
It is beautiful as is!

No, don't edge the 'crosses' with any color. If you edge them, place running stitches right next to the edges of the cross, in the same color as the blanket. Maybe a silky yarn, but in the same exact color. There are some DMC Pearl Cottons that have a sheen, and if used double would define the outline of the crosses nicely.

I think edging them with any other color would be overkill. Let the crosses be understated. It is a classier look. White on white has a purity to it.

Your Sugar n' Cream yarn looks white, but maybe it's cream, or a light light light pinkish? Regardless, my 2 cents stands the same. SAME COLOR for the outlining!

Great work, whatever you decide to do!

wezyus
07-07-2009, 01:00 AM
Superb n gr8888888 for a beginner....kip it up

MerigoldinWA
07-09-2009, 10:07 PM
It is looking very nice. Trinity stitch has so much texture. It works very well alternating with your smoother stitches. You could outline the crosses if you want (of course), but it looks really good just the way it is. :muah:

gotta knit
07-10-2009, 09:15 AM
Looks great so far. I agree that outlining the crosses isn't necessary since the change in st shows them well, but if you really want to then use the same colour.

hainangel2000
07-10-2009, 11:32 AM
:yay: looks really good. Wish I could say my first projects looked that good. I would be proud of that if I were you :happydance:

ritaw
07-10-2009, 11:55 AM
Looks great ! Really lovely . :)

mks22300
07-10-2009, 06:22 PM
It's looking very nice!

dturner
07-10-2009, 09:46 PM
It is beautiful! I agree with Artlady, the crosses show up well already, even in the photographs. I think it's lovely as is. I can't wait to see the finished product!

amyo
07-11-2009, 09:12 AM
Lovely, lovely...and serene to look at. I agree with the others...no bold outlining...the crosses speak for themselves, and are so pretty the way they are! (Don't guild the lilly, as my mother always used to say!)

Great job, please post a final pic!

lexymarin
07-11-2009, 04:45 PM
Wow...that is awesome!
Great job hun. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of it.

TEMA
07-11-2009, 07:32 PM
This piece looks amazingly beautiful! :thumbsup: Can't believe it's your first big effort. I'm still learning to knit evenly...:teehee:
Can't wait to see the finished product...
TEMA:knitting:
p.s. I wouldn't add any other colour either. The piece is full of texture that is stunning in it's own right. Adding a colour could really distract from this.

MoniDew
07-12-2009, 05:32 PM
Agreed! TEMA raises a good point! My rule of thumb has been to choose one - color, or texture - and go with that. Objects with tons of texture need simplicity of color. That way the eye is not distracted. And, objects with a ton of color need simplicity of texture. Same reason. Give the eye one focus.

PS LOVE how much texture you've got going on here! KISS (Keep it simple, sweetie!)

WandaT
07-13-2009, 08:29 AM
Congrats! you're doing a wonderful job on your first big project!! It's looking great!! Same vote on not adding another color. I love it just the way it is.

thecatsmother
07-13-2009, 11:28 AM
great work for a beginner,give yourself a big pat on the back

bmay33
07-13-2009, 02:23 PM
Thanks to everyone! :) I'm just short of halfway finished with this one and I will be sure to post some final shots!

And thank you all for the encouragement.. the only other thing I've been able to finish, up to now, was a single dishcloth LOL! It got discouraging for a while there just frogging everything back to the beginning again :aww:

Leania
07-13-2009, 05:05 PM
I've done that a lot; still do. Its really rewarding when you can finish something. Keep up your determination and if you ever get discouraged I'm sure you can just look here for more encouragement ^.^

TEMA
07-13-2009, 10:30 PM
bmay - I wouldn't worry about frogging too much... I've gotten very used to it.
But frogging a piece is about much more than correcting a mistake; it's a total learning experience. I've done enough frogging to know how really true this is.... and I find it kind of fun, if somewhat frustrating especially if you've done 80% of the work and find this really awful mistake about half-way down the piece...:teehee:
The sweater I'm working on right now... I hate to admit it - but I've frogged it back 3 times now and I'm hoping like all get out that the 4th time is lucky.... so far so good.
But re-knitting is not a waste of time. Think of it as refining the craft of knitting so that the art of knitting will come shining thru one day.;)

lulubell
07-13-2009, 10:50 PM
I'm with Artlady and MoniDew on this one, any other colour would be too much and distract from the stitches. Stay monotoned for this one!

bmay33
07-15-2009, 12:27 PM
bmay -
But re-knitting is not a waste of time. Think of it as refining the craft of knitting so that the art of knitting will come shining thru one day.;)

I knew it was a good thing (in its own evil, twisted, devil's advocate sort of way LOL) to help me learn.. but it just started getting frustrating after starting 7 or 8 separate projects, only to frog each and every one for some reason or another, never finishing anything at all :rofl: (The fact that I kept wanting to "keep" my pretty yarn instead of using it for something didn't help either..LOL!)

But, as they say, "practice makes perfect"!!

melmac51
07-15-2009, 03:08 PM
Thanks!! I'm glad its looking at least decent to someone other than myself..LOL Its a bit nerve wracking since I'm making it up as I go :??

:passedout: Making up as you go???? You CAN'T be a beginner! That's beautiful.

bmay33
07-16-2009, 12:20 PM
:passedout: Making up as you go???? You CAN'T be a beginner! That's beautiful.

I am, but Thank you! That gives me hope..lol :)

I'm praying it turns out right and I don't have to frog it like everything else so far! Crossed Fingers

AH1OZ
07-16-2009, 02:38 PM
it looks fantastic! even more so knowing that you are a beginner knitter!!

i love your use of texture with the different stitches!

can't wait to see more in the future!

luvmykid28
07-26-2009, 12:06 AM
ALl I can say is WOW!!! That is amazing. :woot: :woot: :woot:

bmay33
07-28-2009, 08:10 PM
Thanks :) I'm about 75% of the way done with it (starting on the crosses on the opposite end tonight). I'm hoping to get it finished before school starts back on the 7th so I can start on some winter stuff for the kiddos.

Dimpledapple
07-29-2009, 12:23 AM
Gorgeous blanket! Can't wait to see the FO!