PDA

View Full Version : How do I understand a "NS" (No Stitch)?

hafropinayprincess
07-07-2009, 07:43 PM
I'm doing an intarsia leaf pattern on a portion of a hat which is otherwise fairly simple. I'm following a grid for the leaf pattern and, as usual, there's a symbol legend at the bottom of the pattern instructions that corresponds to the appropriate stitch to make depending on the box you're in. I've reached a point on the grid where of symbol in that box represents a "NS" or "No Stitch". In fact, it's the very 1st box of this row. What do I do with this?
At 1st I thought I'd just knit that box since the rest of the hat is in stockinette, but then the symbol for "knit" would be there if that were the case. My friend says to just "ignore" that box and proceed from the next box down the row, but my mind isn't making sense of that -- how will that affect the way the leaf turns out?

Help!

Sknitter56
07-07-2009, 10:15 PM
Your friend was right...just ignore the No Stitch box and start with the first stitch in that row. The No Stitch box is just to keep the grid from looking all wonky. If there's an NS box further on in that row, do the same thing..just totally ignore it (them) and knit or purl the next stitch in the pattern.

suzeeq
07-07-2009, 10:23 PM
It's like a 'Knit 0' instruction for a size in a pattern. You do nothing and go to the next instruction/box on that stitch.

Betty613
07-30-2011, 10:55 PM
I have a question about this, when the pattern says NS and there are five stitches between "ns" and the next stitch what happens next because there is a the trailer on the back. hope this is clear

salmonmac
07-31-2011, 05:44 AM
Take each of the boxes in turn and do whatever st the chart is calling for in those boxes. If the boxes are empty, that's often the designation for a knit st. Check the key at the bottom of the chart to know for sure.
If there's 5 NS boxes, just ignore them and go to the next box that has a symbol, and do that st.
The NS boxes are the only way to keep a chart aligned and still accommodate decreases or different size directions in a rectangular chart.
There shouldn't be any loops or trailing yarn due to an NS box. It's not a gap in the knitting, just a gap in a chart.

suzeeq
07-31-2011, 09:29 AM
Boxes represent actions more than they mean stitches. A no stitch box means "there's no st on your needles here", so you skip that box and go on to the next one that has an action in it.