PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Pattern - Reticule

KnittinKnots
07-14-2009, 10:30 PM
I am thinking it is an old pattern, but am unable to locate it. To describe it: I would say it's about the size of a change purse, but it doesn't have a flap and it basically locks your items (keys, credit cards, cell phone, etc.) inside and you have to know how to unlock it to get your items out. The one I saw was made to wear on your neck, but you could remove the "leash" and use it on your belt. The story goes that back in the day they were made with the ring at the top so that the ladies could take them to socials and carry them on their little finger. To unlock the purse, you have to pull the sides of it apart and the top opens up. When it opens up, there are multiple strings blocking anything from falling out. I know this is as clear as mud, but it is such an odd item, I don't know a better way to describe it.

Thanks in advance!

Jan in CA
07-14-2009, 10:32 PM
This is knit? I've never heard of anything like that..

KnittinKnots
07-14-2009, 10:36 PM
It's either knit or crochet. I was sitting next to a lady today and I didn't want to reach over and grab it off her neck. It's a really neat idea, but I am having zero luck in finding the pattern. She said she got it from a lady that was visiting and that she made and sold them, so I know there has got to be a pattern and the thing came with the history of it.

suzeeq
07-14-2009, 10:41 PM
There's a few sites that have vintage (and I mean 19th century not mid 20th century) knits. You might look for those. I've only seen reticules described in books and thought they were a small drawstring pouch or purse.

Becky Morgan
07-15-2009, 12:33 AM
I know what you're talking about, and it doesn't matter what kind of pouch you make. I have them in several patterns, and they really do work. I can't find the one that would take the best picture, but let me describe--
You need to make your pouch with an even number of eyelets on each side of the top. If you felt, you can punch them later.
For the drawstrings, you need smooth string or cord; I tried one with felted cord and it doesn't work nearly as well as the one with nylon.
To make the "trick" closure, cut cords a little more than twice the length you want. Decide which side should have the ring or knot--all the cords MUST go through in the same direction. Thread a cord from the ring side to the other side, then bring it back through the next eyelet. Repeat until you have all of the cords in place. (The old design I saw had about a gazillion of them. It doesn't take that many to function. A quarter-inch apart is plenty.) When you have all the cords in place, tie them in a knot or around a ring. When you pull on the ring, the pouch closes. These work well as change purses, because you can turn them right upside down and coins won't fall out. A quick pull opens the purse (this is where fewer cords come in handy, because you don't have to poke them out of the way, and slick ones are essential!)

Cougar1
07-15-2009, 09:24 AM
There's a pineapple shaped pattern here:

http://www.gancedo.eu/Pine_Apple_Bag.pdf

Becky Morgan
07-15-2009, 11:47 AM
There's a pineapple shaped pattern here:

http://www.gancedo.eu/Pine_Apple_Bag.pdf

Is that cute or what? I expected a pineapple, as in crocheted, and kept looking for the knitted piece :rofl: ...the real pineapple is behind the knitted one!