PDA

View Full Version : What is your biggest knitting challenge?

Mommy22alyns
07-15-2009, 06:33 PM
Not yarn addiction or UFOs... I think we all suffer from those. ;) But what knitting act is the most difficult for you? Lace? Socks? Big or small needles? Fine or thick yarn? Novelty yarn?

I think lace is my biggest challenge because I have to give all of my attention to the knitting and I like to multitask. Or I have to multitask.

globaltraveler
07-15-2009, 06:41 PM
Knitting in general? Fitting. Which is also my favorite thing to do in knitting in general.

Knitting in specific? Small gauge yarns, because they take FOREVER to knit and I'm a slow knitter -- plus I'm impatient. Not a great combination.

TEMA
07-15-2009, 07:06 PM
The hardest thing for me to do in knitting is the sweater I'm working on right now. I'm making it up as I go along - nothing fancy - just knitting in the round but I have no idea how I will make the sleeves yet...
Other than that.... it's still socks.
I can knit them but I keep forgetting what I'm supposed to do when it comes to the heel so I'm still using Silver's Sock class for that info. I so want it to come naturally...
TEMA:knitting:

vaknitter
07-15-2009, 09:06 PM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE socks and hats !!

I don't like lace, but that's cause it takes so long to see progress.

Hard for me is guage...don't know why I just never am able to get guage right. My LYS has a knitting squares for an afghan and for my squares I have to knit 5-8 more stitches than everyone else to get the right size. I will never knit a sweater.

mwhite
07-15-2009, 09:12 PM
Doing anything with lots of stockinette! It's just boring to me. When I do lace it helps break up the stress of concentration but on sweaters...etc...I hate it!

lulubell
07-15-2009, 09:55 PM
Anything done on needles over 4mm in diameter, I just hate the heavy clumsy feel of them, even circulars.

mwhite
07-15-2009, 10:35 PM
Anything done on needles over 4mm in diameter, I just hate the heavy clumsy feel of them, even circulars. I'll have to agree with this one, too!

Crycket
07-15-2009, 10:56 PM
I try to challenge myself anew with each new project to widen the horizons...my last one being magic loop, toe up and illusion knitting all in one go...

but I think my biggest challenge right now is the two handed fair isle technique...I know how to do it...but the gauge tension is different in both of my hands...and it drives me mad!!!

mathwizard
07-16-2009, 08:06 AM
I try and do difficult patterns which keep me interested in the project. I just finished the back of a sweater with multiple patterns and it was fun. Now onto the front and button holes and more,... My biggest challenge would be entrelac which I have avoided. It looks so nice but I don't think I have the patience for it at the moment.

margz3
07-16-2009, 09:49 AM
LOL - I think I can agree a little with all of the above posts!! I like to learn new techniques, but am impatient and a slow knitter so that frustrates me also. SS gets too boring, so I love to throw in lace....but yes, it does take more concentration (so I end up frogging more than I would like!) Big needles can be very cluncky, but small needle projects take forever! But all in all, I love the process - and really feel good when I have an actual FO!!

cftwo
07-16-2009, 11:24 AM
DPNs

Irishmam
07-16-2009, 11:55 AM
So far, circular knitting. I have now watched and copied the Magic Loop video 7 times without getting it. I think I might try DPS instead.

globaltraveler
07-16-2009, 08:09 PM
The Techknitter actually prefers DPNs to Magic Loop. (I personally will use either.) Too bad you're not near enough to me, I'll bet if someone just showed you how to do it in person, you'd get it in about 30 seconds...

rachael72knitter
07-17-2009, 10:35 AM
Mine is getting started on DPN's. Once I have it going I am okay, but I hate the starting, counting out the sts and the way my needles want to go every which way.

I also don't like to graft, only because I always seem to lose my place, even with that mantra "k,p,p,k." It gets so damn confusing for me. I think I just haven't had enough practice.

As far as something that seems so challenging that I haven't even tried it. . .that would be intarsia or Fair Isle knitting. I love the way it looks, but I just am too scared to try it.

Plantgoddess+
07-17-2009, 11:15 AM
Sewing up seams. I am so glad to find much more info on knitting in the round. When I first started knitting many years ago, there wasn't a lot of info or patterns for knitting top down or bottom up and I hated sewing sweater pieces together. I ended up doing most of them on the sewing machine.

MoniDew
07-17-2009, 01:41 PM
MoniDew admits that she is terrified of STEEKS and has never attempted one!

AH1OZ
07-17-2009, 02:05 PM
I am not a fan of lace simply because I don't like having to follow a pattern so precicely!! I am working on one tho, but it keeps getting shelved because I get bored... it will be a beautiful table cloth when finished (perhaps in 10 yrs)

Mommy22alyns
07-17-2009, 06:57 PM
MoniDew admits that she is terrified of STEEKS and has never attempted one!

The very word strikes fear into my heart! I can't even wrap my head around willingly cutting my knitting...

globaltraveler
07-17-2009, 08:07 PM
Ah now, I can see you guys have never completed an FO of such ugliness that cutting it up was the only thing to be done with it. Gets you right over the steeks thing, lemme tell you. :)

ArtLady1981
07-19-2009, 04:54 AM
Oh that's an easy question!!

ENTRELAC kicks my butt. And Fair Isle knitting.

nemaent
07-19-2009, 12:22 PM
Specifically, I just started the KnitPicks Chollo hat that is intarsia all the way, top to bottom. It's a real challenge for me because I don't like to pay that much attention to what I'm doing -- I'm usually reading while I knit....... So I'm just doing this project an hour or two at a time when I can totally devote my attention to it.

I started Thursday morning, worked 2 hours and had about 1" done...... But now it's perking along better.

I can't say I was entirely happy when I realized the amount of yarn included in the project would make MANY, not just one....... Sigh?

MoniDew
07-19-2009, 04:13 PM
Oh that's an easy question!!

ENTRELAC kicks my butt. And Fair Isle knitting.
:passedout:
Someone please wake MoniDew up! She has passed out at the knowledge that something in the knitting world can kick Dollyce's butt!

mwhite
07-19-2009, 04:26 PM
:passedout:
Someone please wake MoniDew up! She has passed out at the knowledge that something in the knitting world can kick Dollyce's butt!

Sorry...too busy trying to deal with the shock...:thud: :teehee:

Vertigo1414
07-19-2009, 05:30 PM
i think we're all in shock right now.
my problem right now is pattern intimadation. i get nervous trying new things. i take one look at a pattern and if it even had an increase i've never done before i'm afraid to try it.

Knitting_Guy
07-19-2009, 07:17 PM
The hardest thing for me to do in knitting is the sweater I'm working on right now. I'm making it up as I go along - nothing fancy - just knitting in the round but I have no idea how I will make the sleeves yet...
TEMA:knitting:

Cool, that's exactly how I do my stuff. Just make it up as I go. More fun that way.

Knitting_Guy
07-19-2009, 07:19 PM
As I knit mostly in truck stops and the occasional tavern that I walk into purely by accident, my biggest challenge is trying to knit while answering all of the comments and questions about the fact that this big guy in the cowboy hat is knitting :rofl: