PDA

View Full Version : Double Pointed Needle Question

bsh8rc
07-16-2009, 06:26 PM
Hello,
I am new to double pointed knitting but I just bought a lot of needles. Upon receiving them I found that they are only 6 inches long (with 5 needles for each size). I was wondering if this is going to limit me to only knitting baby sized items with theses needles. I've tried to look at a few different patterns but none of them say how long the needles need to be. Thoughts?

Thank you so much!

Bri

Sknitter56
07-16-2009, 07:18 PM
Not necessarily. With DPNs you divide the total number of stitches to cast on by 3 or 4 (according to the number of needles the pattern calls for). With 6" needles you could possibly get 20, may 30 stitches on each needle, according to the yarn. DPNs do come in different lengths, though. That might be something you might consider next time, or either just use a cable needle and learn Magic Loop method. I used to only use DPNs, but since learning ML, I really like that method better, but it's all a matter of preference. I'll still go back to DPNs for certain projects.

suzeeq
07-16-2009, 07:37 PM
DPNs usually come in 5-7" lengths, so those are right in the middle. You can knit an entire child's hat on them, possibly a small adult hat. You can start a larger hat on circs and finish up the top with the dpns. You can also use them for making sleeves on a sweater.

rachael72knitter
07-17-2009, 10:40 AM
DPN's are for small circumference knitting, so you aren't going to usually knit something on them that calls for lots of cast on sts (ex. 100+). Larger things knitted in the round, like say sweaters or bags, are done on circular needles.

Plantgoddess+
07-17-2009, 11:10 AM
They are a great length for socks as well. My KnitPicks dpn set is 6" and I have never had a problem even casting on all my stitches to one needle before distributing them around for joining.